SkyscraperCity banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
22,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #101

·
22,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Nice but fairly unadventurous by QUB standards. I do like the classic Internationalist/Mies Van der Rohe hints.
It is very tame but I'd guess that's them working with the conservation area in mind. I think it's quite classy personally.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Certainly a significant upgrade on what is currently there! I was originally hoping the front of the building would sit parallel with University Road, but i do like the proposed landscaping, and it looks all the better without the myriad of steps and ramps currently there. I wonder if it would be possible to keep the landscaping theme going outside the Elmwood Hall church- a repaved square with a flower bed keeping the sames lines as the ones outside the Union would look good i think.

Interesting to see the renders suggest the area to the right/rear of the building will be paved too, currently it comprises several car parks. Would be a good area for any outdoor events the Union hosts, and beer garden/outdoor cafe seating.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I like it too, more in keeping with the area. I'm sure its the same size as the current building, but the design makes it look much shorter for some reason.

They should definitely clear the car park out the back for a better communal space but I cant see the university staff giving up their free car parking otherwise they would have cleared it years ago.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Glider will solve their problems :p but that's for a different thread.

I know why the building looks smaller now, without the big steps to the main entrance it looks much shorter. I think there should be some kind of event space outside for things like freshers etc it was always a bit of a mess when groups where trying to recruit out the front. if they do replace the car park it should be big enough but its still tucked away a bit. A bit more room at the front would be give them more visibility when they are protesting the next tuition fees like all good students should do.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
It's brilliant. The step free access is great. I guess that means they're digging down for the Mandela Hall?

P.S.Stunning renders. Like Belfast Harbour, QUB know how to do things right.

P.S x2 University of Ulster take note of what's possible on North St or Union St. Would transform the area.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Oh dear, the poor residents of Cleaver Park must be horrified that adult children will be playing games in their back yard. The noise and screams will send chills down their poor spines.
It's crazy how streets with lots of money can bring decisions like this to a knife edge despite none of the statutory bodies having an issue with it.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts