SkyscraperCity banner

561 - 580 of 620 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I've become a regular Glider user now.

I'm just worried they'll end up taking them off like they did in England.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't get too attached.

Reactions: phillips01

·
Registered
716 Posts
Aye, I'm a big fan. I suspect that in other UK cities, they were commissioned on existing, windy bus routes. Prime example being the introduction of Livingstone's bendy buses on London's tricky network with little or no planning or preparation, and the Merc buses where technically a bit crap.

At least a bit of thought, investment and planning went into our infrastructure and route to operate more like a linear tram route.

I suspect the popularity has taken Translink by surprise. They don't half get bunged at peak time if there's a gap of anymore than 7 or 8 minutes between them and even at that it's a struggle, to the extent that they have complemented it with the old 4X in the form of Urbies at peak times (which has been a success as far as I can tell).

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #564
Need those double articulated trams* ASAP then.

*Bus, bus, bus. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference when onboard. Masterstroke by DFI and Translink.

·
Banned
8,545 Posts
Introduced long bendy buses to Dublin in 1999. Abandoned them a few years later.

Without dedicated exclusive road space they are worse than normal buses.

·
Registered
716 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
So my first experience of the glider went down well. Arrived in the park and ride to see the feeder bus depart as soon as the glider stopped before people could get off. And they wonder why people detest Translink.

·
Registered
716 Posts
So my first experience of the glider went down well. Arrived in the park and ride to see the feeder bus depart as soon as the glider stopped before people could get off. And they wonder why people detest Translink.
Yeah, ano... have seen that a few times, and the other way round too with Gliders darting off just as the feeder busses have tipped up. There's a lack of consideration and common sense from some of the drivers sometimes. I don't think you can fully lay it at Translink's door, although I would like to have assurance and visibility that they follow up with training where necessary.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I'm guessing the timetables have been sequenced to ensure one bus leaves shortly after the other arrives to reduce the amount of time hanging around, that means if a bus is 2 minutes late the other one would have to hold back and in the case of the Glider this would impact the scheduled stops the whole way down the timetable impacting performance targets and I believe the traffic lights have been sequenced around the timetable as well so it would end up 10 mins late instead of 2.
When it comes to the feeder service especially at 11 pm there is no excuse, if I had have got the number plate I would have contacted translink about it. There where 3 young girls that ended up walking home on their own because of it, the bus drivers know full well the risks they are exposing them too and they couldn't care less.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #572 (Edited)

Falls Road businesses set to close because of 'disastrous' Glider

THREE months after the introduction of the £90m Glider rapid transport system, two well-known businesses in west Belfast are preparing to shut up shop, branding the new service a "disaster" for local traders.

Auto Spares and Domestic Services, both based on the Falls Road, are set to close, claiming business dropped dramatically when 12-hour bus lanes, operating six days a week, were introduced.

Read article at - https://www.irishnews.com/news/2018...o-close-because-of-disastrous-glider-1495071/

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #577
Disgraceful. Hope they catch the wee thugs...

CRIMINAL DAMAGE

There have been numerous instances of criminal damage in West Belfast to the new Glider ticketing machines and also to Translink Vehicles recently.

We have some very clear CCTV images of the offenders and will be robustly pursuing them! So if you’ve been involved in these offences, await the knock on the door!

The Glider project is a great asset to our city and is used by the WHOLE community from old to young, professional people to vulnerable people. This damage inconveniences the general public, YOUR community. Please look after this transport system for the benefit of everyone!

We will be out and about on the Gliders regularly to deter criminal damage and prevent antisocial behaviour!

Con McM

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #579 (Edited)
According to a recent print article in the CIHTUK Transportation Journal, the Glider has already met its 2031 target....

Since its introduction in September the Glider has far exceeded expectations for patronage. In the first six months of operation journey numbers are already hitting levels the business case projected for 2031.

This amounts to an additional 40,000 passenger journeys a week compared to bus patronage along the route in 2017.
Great news, Glider is slowly breaking Belfast's car habit and the sooner we get them up the Ormeau the better.

561 - 580 of 620 Posts