SkyscraperCity banner

2281 - 2300 of 2395 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Have the Clover Group (eg owners of Henrys/The Jailhouse, Pug Uglys, Margot, Whites, Fountain Lane etc) taken over and reopened The Berliner now?
They're slowly building up a wee empire of bars if they have...

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Have the Clover Group (eg owners of Henrys/The Jailhouse, Pug Uglys, Margot, Whites, Fountain Lane etc) taken over and reopened The Berliner now?
They're slowly building up a wee empire of bars if they have...
It's being revamped and reopened as the Deers Head again.

Whoever owns it also owns the Albany, going by their twitter feed.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Whoever owns it also owns the Albany, going by their twitter feed.
The Bachus Group must have taken it on then? They operate..

Sweet Afton
Rita's
Tutti Frutti
The Perch
Filthy McNastys
The Points
The Albany
Miel et Moi
Miel et Vite

...and a few bars in Newcastle, England.

Disappointed that an operator like Galway Bay Brewery didn't take it over, but at least The Bachus Group have deep pockets to make it a success. It's such a great bar inside.

·
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,286

Sweet Afton
Rita's
Tutti Frutti
The Perch
Filthy McNastys
The Points
The Albany
Miel et Moi
Miel et Vite
Those last three were sold to new owners in the Autumn, they were sold to the company behind Drinks Inc. The latter two are closed and all three will be redeveloped in 2020.

·
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,287

·
13,277 Posts

Sweet Afton
Rita's
Tutti Frutti
The Perch
Filthy McNastys
The Points
The Albany
Miel et Moi
Miel et Vite

...and a few bars in Newcastle, England.

Disappointed that an operator like Galway Bay Brewery didn't take it over, but at least The Bachus Group have deep pockets to make it a success. It's such a great bar inside.
They are all essentially part of the same Filty McNasty, [with a passing clouds and an Illegitimate] however it's a bit of a curious operation. The Irish Times ran this:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/filthy-for-dolan-1.1990974

The Phoenix did it better as Dolan senior was listed on the plans as the client. Now I am sure this was a clerical error otherwise he'd could have been in breach of section 251 of the Companies Act 2006.

The entire structure is a bit a'hem opaque. The enterprising student opened the enormous Newcastle property under Hathor Inns Ltd, which is broke. It's now operated by Azalea Inns which on the face of it has no connection to the colourful Dolans.

The NI end seems to be operated by Bachus Inns [there's no obvious Bachus group as an 'entity'].

Again perhaps not a surprise, the accounts are seriously overdue and our old friend, the colourful Mr Dolan is listed as a person with significant control, having more than 75% of the shares....

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/NI051261

All of course thoroughly above board.....

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
New sports bar by the name of Franklins opening next month in the same complex as Perch, Sweet Afton, China White etc. which is presumably another addition to the the Bachus Group's stable. I'm not a big fan of their bars but will be interesting to see what its like.

https://www.facebook.com/franklinsbelfast/

Not sure if this is in that endlessly rotating unit that bar bacca used to be in where ritas, tutti frutti is, or whether this replaces the recently launched tutti frutti or in addition to it. Minestrone soup of bars that building.
Article on this in the Irish News today.

• Opens this weekend
  • Replaces Tutti Frutti
  • Has 11 screens, including a 6.5m 'mega screen'
  • Spread over two floors, has beer pong, pool tables, foosball, darts etc

Sounds primarily student orientated, certainly plenty of them living nearby these days.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Not sure it's my cup of tea... think i'll stick with the sports club or northern lights or some such to watch the 6N, but good to have a dedicated sports bar all the same and all the possible pitfalls that come with it... old firm games will be fun.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Tutti Frutti obviously didn't work out for them then. I seriously see Perch going in for a re-brand/refurb next, really atrocious bar, terrible service and the whole place is becoming very shabby. Not good for what is meant to be an "upmarket bar".

·
Registered
840 Posts
What is everyone's take on House in Botannic. The bar with the blossom tree. I was there over Christmas after hearing much fan fair, usually from females for the signature Instagram picture. I have never met more ignorant and unprofessional staff in my life.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
What is everyone's take on House in Botannic. The bar with the blossom tree. I was there over Christmas after hearing much fan fair, usually from females for the signature Instagram picture. I have never met more ignorant and unprofessional staff in my life.
It's the ultimate Instagram bar. Any time I've been in, the the staff have been dead on. Not the worst beer selection. Cocktails seemed overpriced but i guess thats where they are making the money. The upstairs was quite good, you could sit on the balcony bit and have a nice view over the bar and it was away from the noise, all seems closed off now except for private parties. Would only ever pop in there during the day- it's yet another bar which reserves out every table for the evening. Why has that become a thing in so many bars now?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not sure it's my cup of tea... think i'll stick with the sports club or northern lights or some such to watch the 6N, but good to have a dedicated sports bar all the same and all the possible pitfalls that come with it... old firm games will be fun.
Sounded vaguely promising based on the above post but after a quick look at their beer list I can confirm that this is an 'american style sports bar' designed by people who have never been to a real one. Spoiler alert, In real ones they don't drink Heineken.

It's amazing to me how retrograde the bar scene is here compared to literally any other city anywhere pretty much. I'd love to go out to bars at the weekend but not even one of them offers me something interesting or different.

These bar tsar types here (of which there appear to be only 2) should be forced to spend some time in Bristol or Leeds to see how it's done.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
You can do an interesting compare and contrast with the Tutti Frutti and Franklins menus. The wings and pizzas seem to be very similar... except there is a sneaky price rise.

Tutti Frutti

Franklins

I never made it to Tutti Frutti.. but maybe this new bar will be the same but with big TVs

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
House is really good during the day, but in the evenings it turns into a bit of a nightclub with banging music and everyone dolled up drinking cocktails. Not my scene but each to their own.

On bar staff, I generally don't rate them in Belfast, even in the hipster joints. I find them very unfriendly and uninterested, but I suppose pulling 5 quid pints and 10 quid cocktails for arseholes for minimum wage isn't attractive work.

IMO the proper wee no nonsense boozers generally have the best bar staff - Morning Star, Bittles, The Garrick, The John Hewitt, Errigle, Kellys and Maddens all have fantastic bar staff.

·
Registered
716 Posts
It's amazing to me how retrograde the bar scene is here compared to literally any other city anywhere pretty much. I'd love to go out to bars at the weekend but not even one of them offers me something interesting or different.

These bar tsar types here (of which there appear to be only 2) should be forced to spend some time in Bristol or Leeds to see how it's done.
I agree with the sentiment generally... you could write a thesis and it has been well covered in this parish. You have to remember that we are hampered by the double edged sword of licensing and protectionism in hospitality generally. The system unashamedly favours the big local players and multinationals.

Independent bars can't readily set up due to the extortionate and prohibitive nature of licensing and other costs/barriers. Furthermore, existing operators are fiercely competitive. Armies of licensing lawyers are primed to object to any independent seeking to set up on or near the patch of large hospitality operators. This has been borne out in East Belfast where there is a dearth of independent bars and illustrated by legal/police objections to a well known brewery operating a taproom there.

The biggest licensing lobby group (Hospitality Ulster) essentially exists to further the interests of Diageo and the boys.

It's an absolute tuck-up. A sea change is needed and hopefully the executive and the communities minister takes all this on board and takes action to allow independent bars, breweries, taprooms and bottle shops to thrive.

Like of this lot are doing a great job mind: https://www.siba.co.uk/2020/01/28/small-brewers-campaign-group-calls-changes-outdated-alcohol-laws/

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'd love to go out to bars at the weekend but not even one of them offers me something interesting or different
To be fair, the likes of the Sunflower and Sports Club are both interesting and different... i don't know of many more bars which are as unique and kooky as them... and of course we have the old grandees listed by plank there if that floats your boat. We are lucky to have what we have, but it could be so much better, i agree.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts

Belfast city centre pubs 'facing £1.2m rates surge'

The heart of Belfast’s pub and hotel scene could see rates bills soar by 50% and have a “crippling effect on the area” – amounting to an additional £1.2m a year – as part of a government revaluation, Ulster Business can reveal.

A study of almost two dozen hospitality businesses in the popular Cathedral Quarter area – one of the main destinations for tourists visiting Belfast – could see a rates increase on average of almost 50% for pubs, while hotels in the area could see bills rise by more than a third.

A survey of 17 bars shows the total expected rates bills could rise by £813,000 a year, while five hotels in the area could see them in total rise by £431,000.

It’s claimed the surge could have knock on effect on the area, including rising prices for the consumer. The revamp is part of the Department of Finance’s Reval2020 – which is a reassessment of the rates system which businesses pay. While still a draft schedule of values, each council will also have to apply its own regional rate, based on the new proposed figures.
Read full article at - https://www.ulsterbusiness.com/articles/2020/01/30/belfast-city-centre-pubs-facing-1.2m-rates-surge

2281 - 2300 of 2395 Posts