SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
961 - 980 of 981 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
How very... British to need permission to restore features that are protected due to listing!
So you complain when things are rushed and done badly then you scoff and pour scorn when things are done by the book in order to make sure the restoration of a listed building is completed well and to the best of their ability?

Hmmm

·
reach for the skies
763 Posts
Is Castlebrooke still in charge of the RE development? Saw an article in Ulster Business mag that mentioned it this week, with a glossy render of the entire site, like it was all go.

·
22,116 Posts
Is Castlebrooke still in charge of the RE development?
Yeah

Work was delayed because they had to file a new Listed Building Consent application as they wanted to make minor changes to the already approved LBC for Garfield Buildings.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Really looking forward to this being completed. The Berliner is also a really nice pub but struggles to get an outdoor vibe because of the state of the street. I'm a little worried after hearing the reports of the anti social behavior on Royal Avenue during culture night, apparently the Northern Week usually struggles with the wrong type of crowd and Royal Avenue especially which would be worrying if Weatherspoons does eventually open up there. It's not like anyone lives up there so no idea where these people come from I just hope they dont blight the redevelopment.

·
reach for the skies
763 Posts
Hopefully they're serious about progressing this development. The SaveCQ bunch are whining about the plans again - would love to know what exactly they're trying to save and what they're actively doing about improving the area. Nothing, as far as I've seen.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Fair play to the developer for progressing it this far. Much further than Ewarts ever got.

No doubt we'll hear some group or other on complaining that these aren't being turned into blah blah blah...

·
22,116 Posts
Not sure how SaveCQ has cause to complain about this element. It's the restoration of a listed building and conversion to apartments with some ground floor street interaction in the form of shops and restaurant units.

If they are indeed complaining about this particular element then I can't take them seriously..

·
Registered
716 Posts
Same... do they have a particular issue with this development itself though? ...in which case FFS. I thought their main beef (which I tend to agree with), was the short sighted proliferation of retail led development (as a dying sector) in cornflake box buildings and therefore eroding at the historical built heritage of the area. It's a fair concern, but anything other than that could be considered gurning.

To be fair, Rebekah McCabe knows her onions (as do the rest of the PLACE NI crew). Likes of Turkington tends to get a bit more hysterical though and seems to have a rabid dislike of any new commercial led development.

All about balance though and as long as they don't get in the way of sensible progress and good design, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that they keep castlebrooke's feet to the fire. It's a massive blank canvas in a cherished area, so any development must be done sensitively.

As for that part of town, it needs a massive New York mayor style clean up to rid it of the unpleasant elements, which I have no doubt will come with regeneration.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The Nationwide Building Society on Royal Avenue officially closes this coming Friday, 19th October, when it will merge with the branch on the corner of Donegall Sq North & Donegall Place.

This appears to be the last business to vacate their premises within the Phase 1 element of Royal Exhange.

Hopefully, this will soon allow demolition to commence on these two buildings which face onto Royal Avenue & Garfield Street.

It will be fantastic to finally see some real movement on this site.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I guess you better change the name of the thread bug. I guess RE has received so much bad publicity it needed a rebrand. Glad the anchor store has gone given all the recent troubles with Debenhams etc it was a complete no go.

961 - 980 of 981 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.