-Multi-storey car park (611 spaces)
-14,000 sq ft piazza

START:
- Square - March 2007
- OMAC - April 2009

COMPLETION & COST:
-Encore by Ramada - March 2009 (£20m)
-Square - Early 2010 (£60m)
-Old Museum Arts Centre new building - 2011 (£18.8m)

TENANTS:
-Encore by Ramada Hotel
-Old Museum Arts Centre
-Starbucks
-Piccolino
-Dunne & Crescenzi

CONTRACTORS:
For the Square....
-Developer - TURNUS Ltd (CUSP & Kennedy Group joint venture)
-Architects - WDR & RT Taggart
-Contractor - Kennedy Group

For the OMAC building....
-Contractor - Bowen Mascott JV Co. Ltd

Construction Update (21/02/09)

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'm disappointed to see a Starbucks in there. How many does Belfast need? There is another two only a few streets away in Victoria Square. This is the second landmark development recently to have the Starbucks stamp on it. Victoria Square makes a bold statement, saying "you are in Belfast!" Then you go towards the Kitchen Bar or Corn Market, and there's two big ugly Starbucks at either entrance that correct you and say "actually, forget about landmarks and identity. You could be in any city in the world right now".

On a brighter note, the St Anne's scheme will really give the Cathedral Area a kick up the arse. I'm looking forward to the new arts centre, that will be a step towards the 'cultural centre' status that the area deserves. I like how the gap between buildings frames the cathedral and the spire.

·
22,116 Posts
I'm disappointed to see a Starbucks in there. How many does Belfast need? There is another two only a few streets away in Victoria Square. This is the second landmark development recently to have the Starbucks stamp on it. Victoria Square makes a bold statement, saying "you are in Belfast!" Then you go towards the Kitchen Bar or Corn Market, and there's two big ugly Starbucks at either entrance that correct you and say "actually, forget about landmarks and identity. You could be in any city in the world right now".

On a brighter note, the St Anne's scheme will really give the Cathedral Area a kick up the arse. I'm looking forward to the new arts centre, that will be a step towards the 'cultural centre' status that the area deserves. I like how the gap between buildings frames the cathedral and the spire.
Its all about demand. They don't build them if no one uses them. I do like Starbucks but do feel there is maybe too many in the city centre. But I use them and I use other chains as well as more local cafés. Its about choice and they will do well being beside the university.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Now If only the Donegall Arcade could be restored... though I'd settle for seeing the greedy bastards who had it burnt have their day in court. Some chance of that happening.

·
22,116 Posts
Now If only the Donegall Arcade could be restored... though I'd settle for seeing the greedy bastards who had it burnt have their day in court. Some chance of that happening.
North Street Arcade, and yes it will b restored in line with the North East Quarter development plan.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Not a bad development from what I can see, however I wonder how big the middle square is. The square looks big on the sketches, however from outside looking in-it looks small and enclosed. I haven't seem the opening looking centrally towards the cathedral.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The square is not going to look right until the omac is completed because it encloses one side of it. Should have all went together at the same time.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
just some rambling thoughts on the scheme. But overall i love its unique design and style for Belfast
Actually the brick elevations remind me of the old Gallaghers building on York Street. It was part of York Gate, it was the attractive building-old mill and all that. I think from memory you drove through it to park at York gate. It was located where Harry Ramsdens is now located. I can remember in the early 90's a guy from England was over here and he thought that the building was amazing. Shortly afterwards the bulldozers came in and demolished one of the last great mills of north Belfast-to make way for a couple of extra carparking spaces, oh and of course Harry Ramsdens.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Not a bad development from what I can see, however I wonder how big the middle square is. The square looks big on the sketches, however from outside looking in-it looks small and enclosed. I haven't seem the opening looking centrally towards the cathedral.
Yes, the initial images remined me of the Piazzo San Marco in Venice...

...but somehow I feel that the space we will get will mostly be in shadow, as the buildings surrounding will be quite tall in relation to the width of the square. Might seem a bit cold standing around there much of the year.... I'll give may final opinoin when the square is complete.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Although it may well feel a bit closed in, I reckon it will give the square a kind of intimacy, as well as shelter from the elements. Plus, a big wide open square in addition to every other will just feel empty. Think Custom House Sq, which in the absence of some event going on is always deserted.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
They also make you realise how just how much has been lost here, and replaced with shameful crap.
Still they keep threatening what classic buildings we still have, Frames an example. Why someone with one brain cell from environment and heritage cannot walk around and list these great old buildings is way beyond reason and understanding. I enquired about the old building beside the co-op, the red brick one that receives the foot bridge, at the art college. The architect in-charge of central Belfast wasn't sure if it was listed. I mean what hope is there really. It seems easy and straight forward as to what should be listed and how to list it. Please let primary 4 children run this show!!!!!!!!!

·
22,116 Posts
I don't understand why people still exist in the past....

Yes some of the planning decisions were horrendous, but not exactly much you can do about it. Recreating past buildings would be wrong, be expensive and look utterly fake.

People need to seriously move on, accept buildings are gone and just get over it.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I'm not that impressed by the hotel. Brick is a great material, there are dozens if not hundreds of different types to play around with. But all too often developers choose crap coloured ones. It's a matter of taste obviously, but to me that orange brick is more suited for a lacklustre suburban home than the city centre. Too similar to causeway exchange for my liking.

1 - 20 of 226 Posts