SkyscraperCity banner

201 - 220 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
To be fully let is great in the current climate. And without the Starbucks that had been rumoured around the time the development was completed too. Superb. I've heard great things about the Italian place, will be trying it out sometime in January.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I had lunch in Buba in St. Anne's Square on Saturday. Very nice... Very nice indeed, I might add.

It was somewhat blighted however, by 3 or 4 w'aynes hoofing (and I mean hoofing) a full on FIFA regulation world cup ball about the square.

It inevitably clouted the odd outside diner who bewilderingly seemed quite apathetic and ambivalent about it all (waiters in assembled restaurants more so). I suspect this might have something to do with the tykes' slightly spidey and imposing family members celebrating a first communion in the Ramada bar.

It was most unnerving all the same when you've got your back to it and hear a thunderb*tard being unleashed in your direction. The windows in Pizza Express and the MAC each got a rattle or two each as well.

@BUG ...Is there no security about the place to enforce a no ball games policy or similar?

Note: As you might be able to tell by a post on another thread, my experience of the Cathedral Quarter this past weekend has been sh*te.

·
22,116 Posts
@BUG ...Is there no security about the place to enforce a no ball games policy or similar?
No dedicated security no.

There is a couple of guys based in the car park office but they have to manage and tidy the car park as well as respond to fire alarms.

Noisy kids can be annoying as the sound bounces off the walls and around the square. You get used to it though. You do get the odd resident telling kids to f**k off if they make too much noise :lol:

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
The other week there was a bunch of Asian guys playing cricket on the tarmacked bit beside the Titanic Slipways. They were actually quite good at cricket and had developed quite an audience.... although I don't think the owners of the cars parked would have been too appreciative of their cricketing skillz, lol.

But yeah that Ramada Bar attracts a certain crowd for some reason...

·
Registered
883 Posts
The other week there was a bunch of Asian guys playing cricket on the tarmacked bit beside the Titanic Slipways. They were actually quite good at cricket and had developed quite an audience.... although I don't think the owners of the cars parked would have been too appreciative of their cricketing skillz, lol.

But yeah that Ramada Bar attracts a certain crowd for some reason...
It's a very nice hotel though, stayed there a couple of times in the last few months. Bar is way overpriced. I know it's par for the course for hotel bars, but you'd think with so many places around they'd respond to competition a little. I guess some people are just terminally lazy.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
That ugly carpark....
That ugly fence with barbed-wire ontop...
Can someone please buy it and build something nice on it.... preferably nice apartments with ground floor bars and restaurants.
Don't be daft! In this city, we develop on sites with existing buildings, and leave the car parks untouched!

More seriously, a potential use could be to consolidate all the Cathedral services into one building on this site, and get rid of their existing ones, none of which are much of a picture. Particularly those out the back of the Cathedral itself- dreadful muck.

Isn't this where Lacuna is building thon rental only resi development, or am I bit out?

http://www.futurebelfast.com/property/81-87-academy-street/
That development is further up the street, closer to Dunbar Link.

·
Registered
842 Posts
One thing I am hoping for with the mega car park being built in CQ, is that BCC will then use it as an excuse to close all of the car parks around bridge end and hopefully the translink car park if they close the bus station next to tedfords.
That would put more pressure on the developers make some progress on those sites.
I wonder when the fly over beside the Odyssey will be taken down, I was expecting it to go as part of BRT as I think that is slowing some of the development around there too.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
If there was a consolidation, and promise that the numbers of spaces would be at the very least be maintained elsewhere, if not grown for future demand that will inevitably be coming, then cool.

One of the features of the Cathedral Quarter plans for Royal Exchange was an underground car park I believe?

For something like the upcoming Culture Night, plenty of people from outside the Metro catchment area want to come, aren't drinking, and want to be somewhere near the festivities but able to leave to go home whenever. Making sure that use case is not only possible but can grow in line with population, and popularity, is vital - and ensure it's not all "just get the bus!" rants whenever anyone discusses the real need to service drivers for whom public transport isn't a good fit.

I'm half sure the Education owners have done the maths, and I assume the income from the site means it's still financially acceptable to 'hodl' and wait to either sell it off.

·
22,116 Posts
I'm half sure the Education owners have done the maths, and I assume the income from the site means it's still financially acceptable to 'hodl' and wait to either sell it off.
It's used solely for Education Authority employees and vehicles, it's not open to the paying public.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Is their office building right beside it? Don't see it being too bad - the notion of not only smaller offices, but also apartments, having some spaces for their users isn't a bad thing - it is part of what makes some people work in the city bounds.

Again if need for freeing up the land then consolidate it all into that underground or another structure post haste.

And anyway as hypnotoad correctly points out, while we've still got the wannbe Frazer dude eyeing up a certain site occupied by an existing building versus Bonny McBonfire empty acre or three of space directly opposite, I see bigger priorities than tiny car parks like this being requisitioned. And I'd maybe prioritise more general car parks versus ones owned outright for a single company like this. It's those that hold most of the empty land I'm guessing

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
For something like the upcoming Culture Night, plenty of people from outside the Metro catchment area want to come, aren't drinking, and want to be somewhere near the festivities but able to leave to go home whenever. Making sure that use case is not only possible but can grow in line with population, and popularity, is vital - and ensure it's not all "just get the bus!" rants whenever anyone discusses the real need to service drivers for whom public transport isn't a good fit.
Perhaps you should email the organisers of CN 18 and ask them to lay on a few thousand free car parking spaces, preferably right outside the doors of the clubs, bars, venues and events.
I'm sure they'd be delighted to help with that request.... *points you towards the thousands of parking spaces in St Annes Sq, Castlecourt, Hi-Park, Victoria Sq, The Tannery etc etc*

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Perhaps you should email the organisers of CN 18 and ask them to lay on a few thousand free car parking spaces, preferably right outside the doors of the clubs, bars, venues and events.
I'm sure they'd be delighted to help with that request.... *points you towards the thousands of parking spaces in St Annes Sq, Castlecourt, Hi-Park, Victoria Sq, The Tannery etc etc*
I think MAC, and plenty of those venues would actually find that pretty sweet actually! Customers, and their sober drivers... easy access for future residents... by jove, I think you're onto a winner there - thanks!

Also you know full well what I mean in terms of location, and I suggested nothing of the sort you dreamt up there - as ever letting emotions run away from the substance of the chat and casting me in a completely false light and making false assertions. I guess all the virtue signalling about public transport balances that flaw out though so it's okay?

PS
What I actually suggested is already on the draft plan. How about this? Given we're throwing in over 1000 people into the city via hotel rooms, we make sure locals aren't left out. Glider is better, but realistically if we magically got 1000 people from the surrounding suburbs to come in too, maybe 100-200 would be through Glider, and the majority would be taxis. A slim minority would be cars ( a different issue in the day but that's another topic).

So if you have this centralised car park why not up top work into the entrance area a taxi pool - taking away the nightly procession of taxis from Hill St, and maybe, if it was combined with saving St Anne's Cathedral square in front of it, you could have the exit for the car park (a la Victoria Sq) exit up and out into a beautifully lit and spacious square in front of the cathedral, in the middle of everything you could possibly want in the area... and the street between the back corner of the square and Garfield St opened up as well. Lots of LEB glowing lamp posts. Boom - Belfast with a scifi look and joined up thinking and acknowledgement that the area needs to allow for various forms of getting there that you may not like but which are still going to be popular for many years to come.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
you could have the exit for the car park (a la Victoria Sq) exit up and out into a beautifully lit and spacious square in front of the cathedral, in the middle of everything you could possibly want in the area... and the street between the back corner of the square and Garfield St opened up as well. Lots of LEB glowing lamp posts. Boom
Isn't what you suggested there Royal Exchange?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
minus the shopping mall/another pointless office block encroaching on the square from the rear and cutting it in half. Keeping the main space (up to that weird Guardian of Tomorrow style arch) would be my, and many others, main beef with the plans. The underground car park though = thumbs up

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Aye, pedestrianise the whole of Donegall St too.
Then bars like the Hewitt could have on-street drinking. Though I expect they could have a beer garden out the back if they really wanted too. Hadskis could have on-street eating. Hotel in the The Old Northern Bank Building. Fully restored/rebuilt North St arcade packed to the brim with artisan retailers, brewers, bakers, record shapps... TERRI HOOLEY ...

Loft nightclubs playing mad experimental music....
Cool and trendy loft style apartments above the shops, bars and restaurants....
Proper European vibes rather than the ugly car infested crap it currently is.....

201 - 220 of 226 Posts