SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought this thread was long overdue!!

Furniture being added to Ann Street...

And just for nostalgia coz it will be gone soon!........

·
Registered
509 Posts
Can't wait until it's all finished. My own suggestion (which of course won't happen) is that tram lines are laid up the length of Royal Avenue to signal some faith in the future and give people here some hope that someone in the decision making bodies here has a bit of imagination. It wouldn't add that much to the cost, and being recessed, wouldn't impede either pedestrians or cyclists. My other suggestion is of course to bring the Dublinbikes to a city centre location. Now is the time to do this, when the place is being dug up, though they managed it with ease in Dublin, so it can't be that difficult.

My only caveat about the whole scheme is the sheer amount of differing surfaces that have been used. ie Castle Street has grey slate-like paving (excellent). Some other streets have a pattern to the paviers, others have more uniformity.

My great wish is of course that the vile surfaces of places in the inner city like Great Victoria street around the Europa would receive the same treatment. These places are a total disgrace. What a shabby scene to greet those arriving at the Europa terminus.

Then of course there is the total anomaly of Cathedral Square, but I'm not allowed to talk about that - belfastuniguy has spoken and I must obey his word!

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Nice photos G2GAP. Really impressed by the Streets Ahead, money well spent I think.

Looking at those photos the next thing that desperately needs sorted out is signage.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Can't wait until it's all finished. My own suggestion (which of course won't happen) is that tram lines are laid up the length of Royal Avenue to signal some faith in the future and give people here some hope that someone in the decision making bodies here has a bit of imagination. It wouldn't add that much to the cost, and being recessed, wouldn't impede either pedestrians or cyclists. My other suggestion is of course to bring the Dublinbikes to a city centre location. Now is the time to do this, when the place is being dug up, though they managed it with ease in Dublin, so it can't be that difficult.

My only caveat about the whole scheme is the sheer amount of differing surfaces that have been used. ie Castle Street has grey slate-like paving (excellent). Some other streets have a pattern to the paviers, others have more uniformity.

My great wish is of course that the vile surfaces of places in the inner city like Great Victoria street around the Europa would receive the same treatment. These places are a total disgrace. What a shabby scene to greet those arriving at the Europa terminus.

Then of course there is the total anomaly of Cathedral Square, but I'm not allowed to talk about that - belfastuniguy has spoken and I must obey his word!
Donegal Square, Linenhall Street, Bedford Street, Great Victoria Street et al will be dealt with in later phases. While I think we all would like to see the street improvements as soon as possible, realistically such improvements were never going to happen all at once given the cost and the disruption such works would cause without careful planning, hence the phased approach. Patience is the name of the game here.

·
22,116 Posts
Donegal Square, Linenhall Street, Bedford Street, Great Victoria Street et al will be dealt with in later phases. While I think we all would like to see the street improvements as soon as possible, realistically such improvements were never going to happen all at once given the cost and the disruption such works would cause without careful planning, hence the phased approach. Patience is the name of the game here.

Exactly, those are all to come.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This weeks newsletter update: Week commencing 26 Oct 09:

Ann Street
● Installation of street furniture will continue this week.

Castle Lane
● Paving is now complete as far as Ecco shoes. Ground works are ongoing and progressing well towards Donegall Place, with paving following closely behind.
● The section from Callender Street to Donegall Place remains closed with pedestrian access being maintained at all times.

Donegall Place Area
● Concreting outside Karen Millen is ongoing and progressing well.
● Paving is ongoing outside the Welcome Centre.
● Paving has commenced outside Queen’s Arcade and is progressing well towards Fountain Lane.
● Paving is ongoing outside the new KFC premises.
● Concreting is ongoing working from Zara to the corner of Donegall Place/Castle Street and is progressing well.

Castle Place Junction

● Concreting has commenced in the area from The Jean Scene to McDonalds.
● Paving has progressed as far as Mothercare and kerb installation has commenced at East, working towards The Jean Scene.
● Groundworks continue at the corner of Primark to facilitate the new kerbing.
● Installation of the kerbing at the Castle Street side will commence this week.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Agree with the point that there should have been more trees. Pity that there aren't even any in Arthur Street, as I can remember that there used to be a few previously.

One disappointment is that there appear to be no sign of the streets ahead project using manhole covers that allow the paving material to be incorporated into them. Noticed that Fountain street and Ann street have load of black manhole covers, scattered about the place. Kinda ruins what is a high quality finish.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^
I thought the path at Donegall Place at both sides was to be made wider.
It does not look any wider.
The other side will be much wider .... This side will not increase until the traffic is fully removed.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
The other side will be much wider .... This side will not increase until the traffic is fully removed.
I take it that once the side they are working on is complete, they'll realign the actual road, and then commence work on the much wider pavement on the other side of the street?

Does anyone know the exact date they'll cease work on streets ahead to allow for the christmas period? As i reckon they could carry on working until the start of December, by which time hopefully the majority of the current work on Donegall Place will be complete.

Also, the other, wider pavement on Donegall Place- it is meant to have trees in it isn't it? As people have mentioned, it would be nice to have some more trees about. Since Donegall Place is an important street in the city centre i'm hoping they put in reasonably sized trees. Obviously i'm not expecting massive tree lined boulevards like you see in Paris, but something better than what you see quite often around Belfast- trees that resemble upturned branches stuck in some soil.

Anyway, not that i weant to criticise the streets ahead scheme- it really has been an unqualified success so far. The improvements so far are ridiculously good- up there with any Europoean city i have visited.

·
22,116 Posts
Donegal Place already has trees. I don't think they will be adding more.

They exist on the M&S side of Donegal Place, though I would like to see them also on the other side.

I'm not exactly sure what will happen as I can see the tree's being removed during work and new ones added. Otherwise they would be damaged.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I take it that once the side they are working on is complete, they'll realign the actual road, and then commence work on the much wider pavement on the other side of the street?

Does anyone know the exact date they'll cease work on streets ahead to allow for the christmas period? As i reckon they could carry on working until the start of December, by which time hopefully the majority of the current work on Donegall Place will be complete.

Also, the other, wider pavement on Donegall Place- it is meant to have trees in it isn't it? As people have mentioned, it would be nice to have some more trees about. Since Donegall Place is an important street in the city centre i'm hoping they put in reasonably sized trees. Obviously i'm not expecting massive tree lined boulevards like you see in Paris, but something better than what you see quite often around Belfast- trees that resemble upturned branches stuck in some soil.

Anyway, not that i weant to criticise the streets ahead scheme- it really has been an unqualified success so far. The improvements so far are ridiculously good- up there with any Europoean city i have visited.

Work is due to be put on hold from the 23rd November to the 4th January.

Yes the current side which work is taking place on will not have trees but the other side will. Hopefully as you say, of a decent size, such as those at Cornmarket and not the usual twigs!!

·
COYS
1,708 Posts

^^^ It would be amazing if they did something like that around the cathedral, or a fully pedestrianised Donnegal Sq. Streets ahead is great so far. My only criticism (apart from a wanting a few more trees) are the bins. I think they should be more modern and silvery looking.

1 - 20 of 331 Posts