SkyscraperCity banner

301 - 320 of 331 Posts

·
22,116 Posts
Not sure if this is just on one side of the street or not as docs not up yet...

Public realm upgrade scheme comprising new surface, bollards, lighting, seating, paving, kerbs and associated site works.

Land on Chichester Street Between Arthur Street and Montgomery Street
Could be related to Erskine House or Chichester House or both sides may be updated.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
What's all that astro turf doing on Royal Avenue?

·
22,116 Posts

Proposal PDF - https://www.communities-ni.gov.uk/s...sultation Presentation Drawing (High Res).pdf

During 2012, DfC (then DSD) commissioned White Young Green and the Paul Hogarth Company to develop designs for the public realm scheme gaining planning permission for various elements of the project. However, due to government restructuring and lack of funding these proposals were never progressed. The project re-started in 2016 and a new competition to appoint a design team was undertaken by DfC, with AECOM being appointed.

This Clifton Gateway Public Realm Project has recently come under the remit of the ongoing Belfast Streets Ahead Project and it is proposed by DfC that the project will be taken forward in two stages, with the first part being design and the second phase being construction of the new public realm to be completed in 2023.

·
reach for the skies
763 Posts
Anyone know if the civil service can approve funding for the next phase of Streets Ahead, i.e., Royal Avenue? It really needs improved paving and street furniture.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Agreed. The lack of investment is clearly starting to show, not just on Royal Avenue, but all over the city centre with many footpaths needing urgent attention. It's ridiculous that Streets Ahead (and other projects) were stopped due to the political impasse at Stormont.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Agreed. The lack of investment is clearly starting to show, not just on Royal Avenue, but all over the city centre with many footpaths needing urgent attention. It's ridiculous that Streets Ahead (and other projects) were stopped due to the political impasse at Stormont.
Absolutely, hopefully the proposed city deal will allow the city more control over this rather than the disgraces who steal from our pockets. Most streets in the city centre on the north side of the Bank Building cordon are in various states of disrepair. The transition in public realm- and vibrancy- once you get to Castle Place is stark.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
True, but then lets not forget Great Victoria St, Dublin Road, Bradbury Place, Botanic Avenue etc. So much work is needed all over...

Botanic Avenue in particular could be one way with wider footpaths and a bi-directional cycleway linking the city centre up to Queens via Great Victoria Street. Same with Great Victoria Street - reduce no. of car lanes, add trees, add bi-direction cycleway and increase footpath width. Make it more pleasant for pedestrians.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Little parks (parkettes?) all be it fake grass and such have appeared now on Royal Avenue and Castle Place. seem well used in the sun at lunchtime.

Would love these to be permanent. Gives such a different vibe to the streets for more opportunities to stop and relax.

·
22,116 Posts
The long-term plan is to pedestrianise Donegall Place, as part of Streets Ahead.

I think some work was still required on bus routing and so on. It's definitely something I'd like to see progressed as it's great having it traffic free.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Linen Quarter regeneration plan launched late last week.

The numbers in the first image refer to planned/approved/recently completed developments. The first image also indicates areas targeted for public realm improvements. In particular, at least some of Linenhall Street appears to be planned to be pedestrianised?

The second image focuses on the concept of a public plaza around a redeveloped BBC HQ. I like the proposed large pedestrian area out the front of the main BBC building, extending out to the old drinking fountain.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Some more information to the above, this time focusing on how to link up the Transport Hub to Dublin Road and on to the new Gasworks Bridge. Would include an urban park along Bankmore Street

Would love to see the plots marked 'C' developed with 4 to 5 storey red brick buildings matching the existing ones on the other side of Ormeau Avenue.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
The council and DfI are to commission a study into examining how the city centre should develop to make it more accessible. Including 'further pedestrianisation and other initiatives' Clearly spurred on by the feedback to the reopening of Castle Place.

This is a chance to come up with a bold plan, and not just 'pedestrianize that street and stick in a few planters'.

Hopefully there is a chance for public input... lets get the ball rolling on fully exploiting the High Street and Farset potential

·
Registered
2,891 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
The granite is slippy when there is frost and ice especially for pedestrians but I doubt very much a heavy bus would struggle to stop if it was traveling at 5mph and there is no reason for them do be driving any faster than 10 through that square. They usually fly through it at full speed then act shocked when they struggle to stop at the end of it.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
With Stormont back, let's hope Streets Ahead can recommence with priority placed on Great Victoria Street, Bedford St, High Street etc. Our city centre streets are an absolute mess at the moment.

Streets like Botanic Avenue also need a huge facelift.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Shaftesbury Square and the surrounding streets are in such a terrible state of disrepair, but that's just one of many places. It's embarrassing bringing people from overseas here now. Perhaps I'm being over critical, but in my lifetime I don't think I've ever seen our city centre streets and the general urban fabric in such a terrible state of disrepair.

Even with a new executive and a city deal *wink wink*, there's no (or very limited) public money to fund the massive upgrades the city centre needs, particularly when our critical public services require billions in extra funding too.

I wonder if a rate rise across the board is required to fund a massive urban renewal for the city. This fund would clean up our streets, rebuild and repair footpaths to a higher standard, remove illegal graffiti, tidy up buildings, improve ugly shop signage in conservation areas, plant thousands of new trees etc etc.

301 - 320 of 331 Posts