SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 1229 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
That's a pretty controversial project if (as the drawings indicate) they are going to knock down Windsor House in the Grounds of the City Hospital

It may not be fit for purpose as a mental hospital but it's such a small portion of this site that I can't for the life of me see why it's not listed and protected from demolition.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Bit of a disgrace to be honest, very little of the original hospital left as it is. Is the old nurses home behind MBC still there?

·
22,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Bit of a disgrace to be honest, very little of the original hospital left as it is. Is the old nurses home behind MBC still there?

No that's been demolished. QUB are building a new Centre for a Experimental Medicine there.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
There's another building in the grounds that is similar to Windsor House, close to the train stop. The City Hospital estate has a lot of flaws. Bradbury Court is one of Belfast's tallest residential towers but the great views are marred by the crap Blood transfusion building on one side and the new Queens building on the other. Windsor House is hidden amongst buildings to the front and rear when it should be exposed to view and a bit of sunlight. Big hospital estates like this often have a good bit of architecture here and there but the effect is always ruined by ugly extensions, pre-fab shite and unsympathetic new wards squeezed into small spaces where they shouldn't be. It's like there's an add on to the NHS charter that says that hospitals must be developed to create an institutional & depressing environment that is conductive to keeping the patients sick. :lol:

Funnily enough it wasn't that long ago that they were thinking of moving all the mental health units to Purdysburn. Is there any word on what's happening to the Broadway tower blocks at the RVH, because the lack of maintenance on them suggests some or all of them are going to be mothballed.

·
22,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Registered
755 Posts
The QUB renovation looks superb. Here's a little comparison of with the current bulidings:

Currently abandoned library building (ugly tower block in background):

After refurbishment:

Peter Froggat Centre currently:

Refurbished:

The new renders look great. Is there a proposed start date?

·
22,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Planning ref - Z/2012/1210/F

A traditionally styled group of apartment blocks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-26209477

I am with the Local residents on this one.
I'm not, I'm in favour of the development.

The scale has been reduced after consultations with the residents and the apartments are going to be for international students who are no where near as anti-social as our local lot. The building being demolished it a rather ugly and insignificant building that was built in the 1950's roughly. The grander buildings are being retained, restored and extended to suit the needs to house QUB international students. The whole Lennoxvale area will look a lot better than it currently does and the area will only improve once the old science library is replaced by the new building that'll house the Institute for Global Food Security and School of Biological Sciences.

·
22,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The new renders look great. Is there a proposed start date?

The old tower is in the process of being gutted, work started on that before Christmas. The planning application was submitted in November so hopefully a decision soon.

Work has also been on-going to gut and restore the Lynn Building, which is the old building in front of the tower.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Judging by the proposed site elevations the Lennoxvale buildings seem sympathetic to the area. The ceiling heights differ from the existing buildings but they seem to be spaced out enough for this not to matter. Of course the devil is in the details and my main worry would be that the classical look they are going for will be badly executed and they will clearly look like modern buildings. But that remains to be seen. What does strike me though is that the area only seems to have three or so households at the moment so placards by residents stating that it's their area are misleading when surely Queens is the major stakeholder. Replacing the existing university buildings with housing is only going to bring more people into the street after 5pm. That doesn't seem like a big deal given that it's the less rowdy international students.

·
22,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Queen's have made some poor development decisions in the past but for the past 10-15 years they seem to have learned from past mistakes and their recent projects show a lot of consideration for quality and design. The Lennoxvale plan looks really good IMO, the original plan I wasn't in favour of but the revised plan is a lot better.

·
22,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Pity...do they say why? I liked the look of it.
Yeah

The BCC planning committee will review it this week.

1. The proposal is contrary to Policy BH11 of the Department's Planning Policy Statement 6: Planning, Archaeology and the Built Heritage in that the development would, if permitted, adversely affect the setting of The Crown Liquor Saloon, 46 Great Victoria Street, Belfast, a building listed under Article 42 of the Planning (NI) Order 1991 by reason of its detailed design which is out of keeping with the listed building in terms of form, scale, massing and proportions and uses building materials and techniques which are unsympathetic and out of keeping with those found on the listed building.
  2. The proposal is contrary to Policy BH12 of the Departments Planning Policy Statement (PPS) 6: Planning, Archaeology and the Built Heritage in that it would, if permitted, would have an adverse impact on the setting and character and appearance of Belfast City Centre and Linen Conservation Areas by reason of massing, proportion, form and materials.

Even though the Crown is surrounded by hideousness currently....

·
Registered
425 Posts
Again, backwards thinking by the Planning dept. Anything decent that comes along is mothballed just as quickly as it was presented, all in favour of mediocrity revised plans with sub-standard appearance.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I like the way they made an effort to make the first three floors have a similar feel to the crown... And it is subsequently rejected. Meanwhile, as BUG pointed out, there is an incredible amount of muck in the immediate area. Muck that sailed through planning years ago. Would love the DOE to explain their rationale for opposing this; given the fact that Great Victoria Street is a total and utter embarrassment, they better have good reasons.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
The previous tall buildings were built ten to fifty years ago so the Planning Service could argue that it happened under the watch of their predecessors, weren't me guv and another seven storey building (while in character) is only going to make a bad situation worse.

What puzzles me is whether it was the same team who rejected this who approved the Boat beside McHughs. It's a very similar analogy.

·
22,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
What puzzles me is whether it was the same team who rejected this who approved the Boat beside McHughs. It's a very similar analogy.
I'd love to hear their views as well. I don't think the DoE actually know what they're talking about most of the time. I have no idea how the Boat with it's ugly concrete wall was approved yet this building was rejected. Don't even start me on Aurora.

I think the proposal is actually rather nice and I appreciate the architects considering it's setting and amending the design accordingly.

The only hope is with the planning appeal being lodged.

21 - 40 of 1229 Posts