SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 1233 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
There have been some very strange decisions made by planners regarding Great Vic Street.

This project is directly opposite a major transport hub (in a few years other transport infrastructure will be consolidated onto that street, making it the single biggest communications hub in NI, possibly all of Ireland), yet decisions seem to be in favour of keeping density as low as possible in some sites, while others can get away with minimal quality control. Surely this is where it makes sense to have a critical mass of accommodation for travelling business people and tourists (which is exactly the market this project was to cater for).

This latest news implies that any building more than 3 stories tall within sight of the Crown Bar will be refused. Which basically means EVERYTHING around the Europa.

The render above shows that from street level, the facade matches the form and height of both the Crown and Dorchester House, while removing the inappropriately sited bar that currently resides there, and conceals the brutally ugly side of Dorchester House. Yet it still gets refused.

What an absolutely absurd state of affairs.

·
Registered
755 Posts
it would, if permitted, would have an adverse impact on the setting and character and appearance of Belfast City Centre and Linen Conservation Areas
What is the Linen Conservation area? Surely most things of value to the industrial heritage of the street vanished long ago? If that's the reason for refusal, how did the Fitzwilliam, Novotel, Bedford Square, Brunswick Street tower etc all get approval?

·
22,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
hypnotoad24 is famous :lol:

The recommendation by Planning Service to refuse planning permission for the latest application by Fisherwick was met with derision from an online forum of aficionados of architecture.

One fumed: "Would love the Department of the Environment to explain their rationale for opposing this – given the fact that Great Victoria Street is a total and utter embarrassment, they better have good reasons."

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/b...ver-14storey-building-next-door-30029080.html

·
22,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
What is the Linen Conservation area? Surely most things of value to the industrial heritage of the street vanished long ago? If that's the reason for refusal, how did the Fitzwilliam, Novotel, Bedford Square, Brunswick Street tower etc all get approval?

I know....it's absurd. If they were so concerned with preserving the Linen Quarter then why allow the only bloody thing left from the period, Ewarts Warehouse, to fall into decay and dereliction :crazy:

·
22,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
What puzzles me is whether it was the same team who rejected this who approved the Boat beside McHughs. It's a very similar analogy.
Following on from this, what puzzles me more is that the DoE happily approved S Rise, located beside the oldest building in Belfast in November and rejected the Gt. Victoria St proposal. Not that I'm against that approval, I rather like S Rise and thankfully it hides the hideous blank wall of the Boat

S Rise

·
Registered
755 Posts
I searched for the Linen Conservation area, and found a 22 year old document on the Planning website:

http://www.planningni.gov.uk/index/...ation/conservation_map/conservation_linen.htm

Rather pathetically, the image they chose for the cover was of Ewarts Warehouse, which lies abandoned and crumbling 22 years after the conservation area document was published.

Interestingly, according to the maps on that document and the more recent BMAP map, Great Vic Street isn't even in the conservation area!

·
22,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I searched for the Linen Conservation area, and found a 22 year old document on the Planning website:

http://www.planningni.gov.uk/index/...ation/conservation_map/conservation_linen.htm

Rather pathetically, the image they chose for the cover was of Ewarts Warehouse, which lies abandoned and crumbling 22 years after the conservation area document was published.

Interestingly, according to the maps on that document and the more recent BMAP map, Great Vic Street isn't even in the conservation area!
Couldn't make it up! I think I may have to email that to the developers to assist them in their appeal.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Sadly it looks like your 'confession' has earned an airbrushing from history... The Quote no longer appears in the article :(

Perfectly summed things up with a dash of honest emotion in comparison to the mealy-mouthed carefully worded statements from departments and spokespersons.

And like they belfastuniguy said, how come McHughs is fine ot build next to?

I guess just because of its comparative lack of popularity with the tourists (?)

Also just to note the building that would neighbour that disputed Great Victoria St developement?
It looks really lovely in the sketched, black and white outline of it. Suddenly you can appreciate what they were going for...

This contrasts with reality and highlights how important the exterior cladding and materials used are. It's always looked like a grungy mass, barely worth more than a cursory glance from atop passing double deckers let alone whilst ambling along the street.

You can have lovely renders, shapes, lines, but it needs to not drop the ball in the final stage or it's all for nought

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
^^

My quote is still there, right at the bottom!

Much better is the fact that someone who is clearly snailtrain has commented on the article: "bunker", "third world", "black shite" and, of course, splendid, magnificent "Dublin". All tell-tale signs. Sadly missed round here!

·
22,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
^^

My quote is still there, right at the bottom!

Much better is the fact that someone who is clearly snailtrain has commented on the article: "bunker", "third world", "black shite" and, of course, splendid, magnificent "Dublin". All tell-tale signs. Sadly missed round here!
I thought that might be him :lol:

·
22,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Application by Clanmill to demolish these buildings and replace has been approved. They're on the corner of the Ormeau Road and University Street

Demolition of existing buildings and erection of 11 two-bedroom and 4 one-bedroom apartments, car parking and associated site works.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Good to see something happening there, that building has been an eyesore for some time now. It's a shame the present building couldn't have been retained, but it has been vacant for so long it's probably not worth saving. I vaguely remember the corner section of that building being my doctor's surgery a long time ago. Can't recall anyone being in it since the practice moved out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Visual impact statement for the new QUB School of Law has been published. The planned renovation and removal of floors from old library stack are going to make a big difference. The changes to the Peter Froggatt Centre are also to be welcomed, the proposal looks very good.
The Visual Impact statement is very good. As I suspected, one of the goals of reducing the height is so that the classic front-view of QUB is enhanced (one does not now see the library tower behind when viewing from the front).

Also the inside of the quad looks a lot nicer when the tower height is reduced.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The existing building on the junction of Ormeau Road and University Street does look rather dilapidated and forlorn but surely it is worth saving as it is a grand looking building and responds to the street. Now considering the current proposals I would have to say they are replacing it with an even bigger eyesore; a mock Victorian pastiche terrace, which no doubt will be poorly detailed, lack proper scale and proportion and have no real interaction with the the Ormeau Road. This really is a bit of a mess and with the "Clanmil" clowns housing development on the opposite side of the road the sense of enclosure, cohesion, attractiveness and streetscape is definitely getting worse.

·
22,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Had a look at the planning documents. Renovation was considered but the survey found the building to be extensively damaged by water and vegetation and unsuitable for retention as a result of collapsed internal walls, water ingress, fire damage, and compromised brickwork.

The building also has no foundations and retaining the facade would require significant underpinning and such work posed a health and safety risk.

It was recommended that bricks not damaged by damp should be retained and used on the elevations of the new building.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
The existing building on the junction of Ormeau Road and University Street does look rather dilapidated and forlorn but surely it is worth saving as it is a grand looking building and responds to the street. Now considering the current proposals I would have to say they are replacing it with an even bigger eyesore; a mock Victorian pastiche terrace, which no doubt will be poorly detailed, lack proper scale and proportion and have no real interaction with the the Ormeau Road. This really is a bit of a mess and with the "Clanmil" clowns housing development on the opposite side of the road the sense of enclosure, cohesion, attractiveness and streetscape is definitely getting worse.
I defnitely agree that that area of the Ormeau Road is a mess; that Clanmill development was a massive missed opportunity.

I also drove past this building last night, at the top of the Ormeau Road:

http://goo.gl/maps/f0vKn

Obviously the photo is a few years old, but it definitely appeared to be in worse condition than the one proposed for replacement, and yet it has managed to be saved and restored, and is looking rather well.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hypnotoad- That building on Ormeau I think was completely demolished was it not?

I agree that when they try to recreate old styles usually disappoints because of the lack of fine detailing or whatnot. Always a shame. Given how many years they will stand the extra ££ is a drop int he bucket for lasting looks.

EDIT:
Now that the pics loaded for that Ormeau surgery development um... why does it just end on the left in a sheer face?

It's a shame they couldn't have 'smoothed' that mismatched height difference.

Almost suggests in future the shorter shops beside it would be replaced with a continuation of that style of housing

41 - 60 of 1233 Posts