SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 80 of 1233 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think they haven't bothered to show the context and are not leaving a blank facade. Funny that, as this building is so out of context, believe me this will look horrendous once built! If your going to do a building in a Victorian style then proportionally and in detailing they have to be spot on! This wont be!

The more I look at the proposal for its replacement the more it bothers me, it really is god awful! This building could be saved, anything can, but it will just cost an awful lot of money, if it were conserved and sympathetically restored it would really be an attractive building once more.

The report that was published arguing for its demolition is similar to what was said in the report for the demolition of the Athletic stores, it was due for demolition as it wasn't financially viable, water damaged, structurally unsafe and wouldn't justify its retention, what saved it at the appeal was the fact it was in a "conservation area".

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Walked by it today going to the surgery across the road.

The little side door, with its modicum of detailing, and general character (sans years of neglect of course) defintely won't be replicated. It's an endless failing of buildings these days that try to ape older styles but scrimp on the money and attention to detail necessary.

And so it goes...

·
22,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Belfast City Council have agreed to go ahead with the purchase of the long derelict Clarendon House on Adelaide Street. Be interesting to see if they renovate or demolish and built something new. Hopefully the new building is attractive.

Belfast City Council's Strategic Policy & Resource Committee established an 'Accommodation Group' in September 2010 to "review existing accommodation commitments and consider the future accommodation needs of the Council". In June 2012 the Council agreed that an Economic Appraisal and Options Report should be undertaken to recommend a way forward for development of a 'Corporate Accommodation Strategy' for the Council. A market site search was undertaken and concluded by CBRE in October 2013 with a list of 14 potential locations identified. A shortlist was developed and Deloitte were appointed to undertake the 'Economic Appraisal and Options Report' based on these properties and four Council owned sites (Wellington Place, Maysfield LDC, Gasworks Northern Fringe and Ormeau Avenue).

Deloitte considered issues such as ownership, leasing, purchase of existing building, new build, regeneration potential, centralised and decentralised options, collaboration with other public sector bodies, reform of local government and opportunities for flexible working. The economic appraisal concluded that (1) ownership is preferable to leasing options; (2) building new premises is preferable to refurbishment options; (3) confirms development of a ‘campus style’ approach for the Council’s office estate (proximity to City Hall) as opposed to decentralisation; (4) estimates of savings on annual running costs has been identified at £1.2M annually from building and owning a new single building in the city centre over current running costs of the Council’s existing office estate; (5) council requirement is for 100,000ft2; (6) accommodation needs to accommodate an additional c270 staff from Local Government Reform transfers and natural growth in service provision requirements. The appraisal recommended the acquisition of the Clarendon House site to develop new premises (adjoining the existing Council owned Cecil Ward Building). The appraisal estimates the capital cost associated with acquisition, demolition, build, decant and fees for the Clarendon House site is £21m. It is suggested that the Council occupy this proposed new building by December 2016 due to break options at other leased Council properties (Adelaide Exchange and 9 Lanyon Place).

The Accommodation Steering Group has endorsed five key design principles for the Council’s 'Corporate Accommodation Strategy' identified in the Economic Appraisal: (1) City Hall and Cecil Ward Building will be retained; (2) Council’s office accommodation should be flexible and adaptable; (3) standard of accommodation does not need to be Grade A, good Grade B is an acceptable standard; (4) building should be designed to BREEAM standard of ‘excellent’ or above; (5) city centre office estate should follow a ‘campus style’ model.

The Accommodation Steering Group has also highlighted: (1) potential for leasing out any surplus office space in a new City centre office development and utilising the ground floor as retail potential that would bring active street frontage; (2) potential within the 'Leisure Review' to explore incorporation of city centre leisure facilities in the provision of new accommodation; (3) branding of any new Council office block utilising the 'World Trade Centre' licence currently held by the Council; (4) requirement or otherwise to include staff car parking with new accommodation; (5) need for full consideration of green issues and energy efficiency in the delivery of any accommodation solution.

In March 2014 the Council agreed to seek the purchase of the Clarendon House site for the future development of City Centre Office Accommodation for the Council.

http://www.futurebelfast.com/9---21-adelaide-street--clarendon-house.html

·
22,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Going by the report they intend to demolish the existing building.

The appraisal estimates the capital cost associated with acquisition, demolition, build, decant and fees for the Clarendon House site is £21m
Be interesting to see what design is put forward.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Going by the report they intend to demolish the existing building.
That's probably a good thing, none of the proposed renders to date have been particularly wonderful. The one with the bizarre tree thing over the glass was probably the best, but even it only really improved the front of the building.

·
22,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Agreed, they're obviously aiming for an environmental efficient building and even if refurbished the existing building wouldn't be greatly efficient.

Hopefully BCC can work with their architect to deliver a quality building. I doubt they'll want something that looks awful

·
Registered
323 Posts
I do find it strange that when BCC are supposedly devoted to regenerating the shatterzones etc, they decide to put a lot of money into existing well developed areas, such as here and the waterfront etc. Obviously it would be good to see Clarendon House redeveloped, but I imagine this would have happened eventually anyway as the market picks up.
Would have been much more interesting to see a new office development on the bcc surface car park on Ormeau Ave, or maybe something on North Street!

·
22,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
^^

I think they've chosen the building as it can be connected to the Cecil Ward Building and it's right beside City Hall. Those car parks occupy what possibly will be the location of the long delayed Bankmore Link, it wouldn't make sense to build something there.

·
Registered
103 Posts
^^

Those car parks occupy what possibly will be the location of the long delayed Bankmore Link, it wouldn't make sense to build something there.
I think the BCC site is the fenced off area at Cromac st/Ormeau ave/ corner of gasworks - that site is earmarked as a Gateway development site, if they aren't going to develop there then they should sell it off -

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hopefully BCC can work with their architect to deliver a quality building. I doubt they'll want something that looks awful
This is a great site for a tall building - the planners should insist of at least 15-20 storeys, all the surrounding buildings around here are boxy with similar 6-7-8 stories high

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Those car parks occupy what possibly will be the location of the long delayed Bankmore Link, it wouldn't make sense to build something there.
I can't remember where I read it/ heard it but I seem to remember this scheme being dead in the water. Would love it if something was built there to kill it off completely. Further up the Ormeau you have that green wasteland on McClure street which is a relic of a long abandoned road scheme (the new flats at the Botanic/ Cromwell Road end have mothballed it). That's one easy to develop site that I'm surprised hasn't got builders sniffing round it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I can't remember where I read it/ heard it but I seem to remember this scheme being dead in the water. Would love it if something was built there to kill it off completely. Further up the Ormeau you have that green wasteland on McClure street which is a relic of a long abandoned road scheme (the new flats at the Botanic/ Cromwell Road end have mothballed it). That's one easy to develop site that I'm surprised hasn't got builders sniffing round it.
Yeah, I thought the thinking was now around a much scaled down scheme with traffic going one way on Ormeau Ave and the other direction on an upgraded Bankmore street. So probably would be scope for a building on that site and the road running behind it.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I remember reading about it being dead too, and that is definitely a good thing. The layout of the buildings in the area meant that the potential road design looked like this:

More like a suburban ring road, and less like a main road in a dense, busy city centre.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Last I heard the city council were considering building some allotments/urban farms/community gardens in the area around Bankmore.

I'll have a look later and see if I can find the link.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Found it. There are some great ideas in this document:

Belfast City Masterplan 2013, page 17-18
https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNEifq3zMRDbXOYWNHH0bUP70FGtYQ

D- Transformation of Shaftesbury Link into an urban avenue
E- Potential transformation of excess surface car park into urban
allotments
The same document has maps with satellite-style view graphics to give an indicative idea of that these schemes could look like. They seem to have copied the render for the new transport terminal on Great Victoria Street from Berlin Haptbahnhof, which is not a bad thing at all.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Good lord.
They've done this sort of thing at Millfield facing Brown's Square, though a few plants does not an allotment make. I see the appeal of allotments and vegetable growing but not in the city centre. If they ever manage to write a BMAP 2030 can they have a strategic policy of not weakening Belfast City Council's rates generation abilities by carting off tens of thousands of residents to Newtownabbey, Lisburn, Carrick etc. Because if there's non-contentious development sites like this being squandered then I find it hard to defend as a planning strategy. I understand Sirocco works because the developer went bust but that doesn't explain lots of other locations.

·
22,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
They've done this sort of thing at Millfield facing Brown's Square, though a few plants does not an allotment make. I see the appeal of allotments and vegetable growing but not in the city centre. If they ever manage to write a BMAP 2030 can they have a strategic policy of not weakening Belfast City Council's rates generation abilities by carting off tens of thousands of residents to Newtownabbey, Lisburn, Carrick etc. Because if there's non-contentious development sites like this being squandered then I find it hard to defend as a planning strategy. I understand Sirocco works because the developer went bust but that doesn't explain lots of other locations.
Allotments are great, but they've no place in the city centre for goodness sake. What a ridiculous suggestion by BCC.

The aim of BCC and developers should be to enhance the density of Belfast city centre. It's ridiculous we have cul-de-sac developments in the centre which are utterly disconnected from the wider city.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I know the de facto segregated housing market muddies the water a bit when it comes to residential (as does the market preference for two storey or even bungalows). But there are easy(ish) wins out there. Take a look at council housing simply cos it's easy to measure supply & demand. I know there's been a lot of housing association units built in the last year or three, but there are two glaring omission edge of city centre sites that they would have no trouble finding tenants for if they were of a mind to build large developments. Lower Shankill estate is 40% desert, Sailortown is on the wrong side of the motorway but enough people have a willingness to live there- the office developments will probably compliment that.

And as for private sector development, what about the half empty surface car park sites that are all over the place. Some government agency should do a forecast of what parking demand will look like in ten years time (it won't rise much anyway may even fall), then compulsory purchase the plots that their conservative estimates suggest won't be needed in the future thereby freeing up lots of little sites for retail/office/housing/whatever. I guarantee there will still be a fair few empty parking spaces 9-5 even after such schemes.

61 - 80 of 1233 Posts