SkyscraperCity banner

1181 - 1200 of 1239 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
I'm not sure I'm keen on the whole thing at all. I don't think it will age well.

EDIT: Just swung by at lunchtime and it's not bad up close as it happens and looks better in the flesh. Agree on the Boojum signage but assume this is just temporary as they are expanding in next door.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yeah I saw the Boojum signage today. I'd bet you a burrito that's temporary. I'd be amazed if it wasn't :)

The overall building is ok IMO... Erskine House across the road is miles better, but there are plenty worse buildings around Belfast.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
It doesn't look too bad, with the ground floor units let and proper signage above them it should look ok. I think it would be better without the massive overhang of the roof. The one thing that will always let the building down is the poor job on the side wall above the Garrick.

IMGP2137
by hypnotoad24, on Flickr

·
22,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,189
This pretty big housing project has been bumping along for a few years. Formal application now submitted

Plans for a new urban village on a 75-acre site in Belfast have been submitted.

The Braidwater Group is behind the application, which would represent an investment of £95m on social and affordable housing. Known as Glenmona, the scheme would comprise 656 homes, of which 550 would be social housing and 106 would be affordable. There would also be two care homes, a neighbourhood retail centre, a hotel, office and business space, and children's play areas.

Apex Housing Association would be responsible for the management of the completed social rented homes.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Another clunker in for planning. This must be the third iteration of the proposal for this site. And its still awful. The only saving grace is it no longer extends all over the adjacent buildings on the corner of Bedford Street. The latest architects to have a go are a group from Oxford who obviously have no fecks to give about Belfast and think that some old slab will do fine rightly. Then again, given that BBC think that painting their buildings black is a good idea, this won't even be the worst thing in the immediate area.

It's worth going through the various versions on future belfast and trying to spot the difference.

CS1
by hypnotoad24, on Flickr
This heap of dung has been pulled from planning. A new application is to be submitted, with a website to go live on 29 July, and two public consultation webinars on 5 August (10-11am and 6-7pm).

Lets hope they have designed something befitting of its location.

·
Registered
502 Posts
It does seem to have taken inspiration less from the surrounding Victorian warehouses, and more from the literally bomb proof BBC bunker opposite.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Browsing that vinder developments site further, they also have a proposal for somewhere on May Street. Looks very decent.

Has 101 apartments so should be a reasonable size too.

May Street, Belfast - Vinder Developments

This will have a public consultation on 31 August. In keeping with the current times, it will be through website. According to the PAN, it will be hosted by Clyde Shanks.

Image here:

·
Registered
327 Posts
This will have a public consultation on 31 August. In keeping with the current times, it will be through website. According to the PAN, it will be hosted by Clyde Shanks.

Image here:

From looking at the PAN map this seems to involve demolition of 177 Victoria Street, which is a nice Victorian Terrace currently McCoy Steele solicitors. Typical Belfast then...they'll probably "accidentally" damage the adjacent buildings during demolition as well....

·
saulalvarez
124 Posts
Utterly tragic. Economically dormant and creates more traffic, more pollution and slap bang in the 'transport hub'. This side of the road will be a joy to walk for pedestrians and for people cycling........What are they thinking?

New 575 space multi-story car park to be built in Belfast city centre

This article tells you everything you need to know about the vision in this place.

·
Registered
13,566 Posts
The multi storey car park on Grosvenor Road looks finished - it turned out better than the renders (link below)

Back to the 80's

What are they thinking? I'm struggling to think of another city building independent multi storey car parks like that today. Underneath or tacked on to stores maybe but not like that.

Agree with the poster above. Car parks are dead economic spaces.

1181 - 1200 of 1239 Posts