SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I edited the Wikipedia page a bit as it didn’t include the cranes and hospital chimney. A few of the images are not there or out of date and to edit it has to be your own work or on Wikipedia already. I’m also behind on the tallest proposals and under construction. I’m not the best at editing, so if any of you guys can update it further I’d really appreciate it. List of tallest buildings and structures in Belfast - Wikipedia

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok updated this again with more up to date proposals, and some of our other notable landmarks.

Again feel free to mention or change any errors I or another wikipedia user has made or anything that could be added.

I noticed someone added images that I'd asked for here so thanks for that.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Updated this again, got feedback on confusion between architectural and structural height for grand central hotel so separated tallest structures and buildings into two lists.

One the tallest structures by total height and the other is exclusively buildings by architectural height.

I also added notable approved and proposed high rise buildings.
Lastly I added a demolished section including Churchill house which would have made the list if still standing and was once Belfast’s tallest building.

Is there any other high rise buildings that were demolished?
I expect some of the older buildings in the list to be demolished in future and it would be a good place to put them.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The Wikipedia list includes two 15 floor NIHE tower blocks that are over 45m.

This list of NIHE blocks was published in the Belfast Telegraph a few weeks ago. There are another seventeen x 15 floor blocks in Belfast and Newtownabbey (all due to be demolished at some point).

Could some of these also be over 45m and eligible for the list?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

This list of NIHE blocks was published in the Belfast Telegraph a few weeks ago. There are another seventeen x 15 floor blocks in Belfast and Newtownabbey (all due to be demolished at some point).

Could some of these also be over 45m and eligible for the list?
Most likely yes as it’s 3m per floor for tower blocks in general.
All would be in the lower end of the list though, I’m tempted to cut it down to 50m and above as there a good number of high rises approved and under construction.
They will make the demolished list when taken down though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Possibly a stupid question...why does it say the Obel is the tallest building in Belfast and on the island of Ireland, if the Grand Central Hotel is higher (93m vs 88m)? Is it because the plant rooms aren't included when determining building height?

EDIT: I've just answered my own question by looking further down the page.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Possibly a stupid question...why does it say the Obel is the tallest building in Belfast and on the island of Ireland, if the Grand Central Hotel is higher (93m vs 88m)? Is it because the plant rooms aren't included when determining building height?

EDIT: I've just answered my own question by looking further down the page.
There was debate over the tallest building in the world over this in the past when the petronas towers overtook the sears tower, as the sears tower is the taller structure if you include the full mast. And the owners even appealed causing another two measures of building heights.

When I look at the two buildings I’m convinced the grand central is the taller building, I genuinely think Hasting could argue for it to be the tallest on the Island, however that’s now pointless due to the news in Cork.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts

Around three of the blocks probably wont be demolished. The two in Rush Park have high levels of owner occupied flats so the hope is to find a private company to sell the building to. There was one other one in Belfast that they are considering keeping, can't remember which one or why but it was probably because it was popular. Personally I think they should list at least one for historical reasons, don't think it is good to eradicate a single era of residential architecture. The Rush Park ones are the most common type but they are pretty boring looking. I'd be of a mind to keep one of the shorter Cregagh blocks because they look good and were also the first to be built in NI.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Updated again added unbuilt and history of tallest building section.

Also added parliament and Lanyon building to notable landmarks.

I think there are a few industrial buildings not taken into account in Belfast Harvour that seem to be tall enough to make list. Also there are two churches in North a Belfast I think make the list, but can’t find height, the cathedral (I think) with two spires (seems as tall as divis tower) and the church (I think not a church anymore) right at a Westlink junction near graine house.

Also not fully sure in history section, I know Churchill house was the tallest at the time, before there may have been taller industrial buildings. Also unsure what was talked before st Patrick’s

I would like more additions to the demolished section aswell. Likely lots of industrial buildings.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Answered my own question on the churches (Carlisle memorial church and st Peters cathedral) using google earth (Elevation above sea level minus height of ground below above sea level) , 52 and 50 m respectively, and one of the heights (Carlisle) was confirmed on an architectural website. The other St. Peter’s was contradicted by a bbc article saying rise sculpture being 1m taller without citation, Google earth and the eye test disagree.
Found the MBC (48m) tall enough to make the list plus an industrial warehouse west twin silos (54m).

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Answered my own question on the churches (Carlisle memorial church and st Peters cathedral) using google earth (Elevation above sea level minus height of ground below above sea level) , 52 and 50 m respectively, and one of the heights (Carlisle) was confirmed on an architectural website. The other St. Peter’s was contradicted by a bbc article saying rise sculpture being 1m taller without citation, Google earth and the eye test disagree.
Found the MBC (48m) tall enough to make the list plus an industrial warehouse west twin silos (54m).
Apparently the silos is the largest of its kind in Europe but it’s an eyesore.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I would like more additions to the demolished section aswell. Likely lots of industrial buildings.
Here's one for you - Power Station West

"Friday, 6 July 2007

The Belfast skyline has changed forever with the demolition of three of the city's tallest chimneys.

The 240ft chimneys, which overlooked Belfast Lough, have been brought down in a series of controlled explosions at 1900 BST on Friday."

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New google earth update has allowed me to add a 104m ship repair crane at the ship repair quay to the list.

noticed where the gas power plant is going to be a demolished industrial complex, there used to be 90 plus meter white chimney like structures and a 100m plus portable crane. This could be added to the demolished section but I’m unsure exactly what it was.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Added the student roost 47m ranks 24th.

Can’t find a non copyright pic so could someone add one, won’t be in Belfast for a while myself, it’s a great looking building.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts