Contractor:
Floor space: 250,000sqft
Height: 8 floors
Cost: £75m

Images courtesy of The Sixth

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
The new building looks a bit better in these renders, there's quite a bit of variation in the brickwork pattern that wasn't noticeable in the initial images. However, I still hope they can come up with something better for the Telegraph offices; that top floor just looks wrong.

Also, I see they only have one image of a tree in their imaging software!

·
Registered
356 Posts
The new building looks a bit better in these renders, there's quite a bit of variation in the brickwork pattern that wasn't noticeable in the initial images. However, I still hope they can come up with something better for the Telegraph offices; that top floor just looks wrong.

Also, I see they only have one image of a tree in their imaging software!
Aren't they trying to reinstate the original top floor? Surely as the building is listed they would need to be faithful to the original design?

·
22,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The new building looks a bit better in these renders, there's quite a bit of variation in the brickwork pattern that wasn't noticeable in the initial images.
I really like the brickwork proposed for the new building, rather nice detailing.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I love the design, including the roof of the 'Sixth', I love the long brick pillars, it's very gotham is the only way I can describe it.

The renovation of the Victorian Bel Tel building would look better on its own if it was kept faithful to the original, the modern top floor is risky, but it may help it blend in much better with its new neighbor as it definitely will not blend if sticks to its original design. It's a big gamble, but I think its worth a go.

·
COYS
1,741 Posts
I really like the proposed roof too, but I have a thing for architects who can successfully pull off an old with new fusion design. The Ulster Museum was the first building to get me into architecture as a wean and is a great example. Also saw some similarly executed successful examples in London/Madrid.

·
22,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really like the proposed roof too, but I have a thing for architects who can successfully pull off an old with new fusion design. The Ulster Museum was the first building to get me into architecture as a wean and is a great example. Also saw some similarly executed successful examples in London/Madrid.
Looking at Allford Hall Monaghan Morris' work they've been involved in and delivered some very nice projects. Hopefully they can do this project justice.

·
COYS
1,741 Posts
^^ Promising. I didn't realise they were behind the New Scotland Yard pavilion. I saw it last year in person and it looked fantastic.

Edit - turns out they're behind a handful of some of Londons best looking new devs.

·
22,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^ Promising. I didn't realise they were behind the New Scotland Yard pavilion. I saw it last year in person and it looked fantastic.
Yeah passed that in March when I was over, very impressive project. Their Television Centre conversion looks very good as well, from pictures at least.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
That's what i presumed, hence i was a bit surprised at the amount of articles trumpeting it given that 99% of the city will never get access to it.

Will be interesting to see how it is incorporated given the differing heights of the upper floors.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Bit is a waste of time then, who is going to run rings around the roof of their office building with their co-workers staring at them in Belfast.
The Gateway office has an open roof top and is never opened up to workers, no matter how good the weather, I'm assuming its to do with health and safety.

·
22,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's what i presumed, hence i was a bit surprised at the amount of articles trumpeting it given that 99% of the city will never get access to it.

Will be interesting to see how it is incorporated given the differing heights of the upper floors.
Yeah I didn't quite understand the excitement myself. Unless I'm presuming it'll be office workers only.

I suppose we'll see once the plans are available online. If there's a dedicated public access then we'll know but I doubt it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.