SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I can sort of get the economic argument for not doing it, but in the interests of the making the city a great place for everyone, why couldn't they include an events space for live music/arts/culture events? Alan Simms and Shine have proved that a live arts space is 100% commercially viable here....
The marketing material for the Sixth is clearly aimed at young/trendy startup types and the simple fact is that some of the people who regularly attend live events at the Telegraph Building (or other Union St music venues or Shine events) might just be future CEOs/directors of local startup firms. Talk about potentially shooting yourself in the foot by not including even just a wee arts venue.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Took this screenshot from the website, as it looks like there have been a few minor changes to the design. The brick on the Royal Avenue side is predominantly red now, the pattern design is gone from this section. Also, the cream brick from the roof floors of the tallest section is now red, and the windows are less recessed.

There also looks to be fewer windows on the roof of the Telegraph building, thought they still look crap and they really should just go with how it originally looked.

6a
by hypnotoad24, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Quelle surprise - the elements I applauded through gritted teeth are now gone - those set back vaulted buttresses and set back windows now a weird half way house of the windows peeking out but losing that really interesting space and effect. I mean, they've gained all of a few hundred sq ft but lost the visual appeal. Money money money

As noted, the patterning is gone, so I'm expecting Bug to turn on the whole thing...

Whoah, never noticed those windows - are they new because my god they are terrible! They actually manage to ruin the building below. But.... "yay progress!" I guess? Le sigh.

Another example of developer rowback, even as they get everything they want in terms of permissions.

·
22,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The patterned brickwork hasn't been removed entirely though. The varying style actually breaks up the bulk. At a glance it looks like 4 separate buildings/frontages along Donegall Street side rather than one mass given the differing brick and rooflines.

I am disappointed the vaulted element has been diminished. I think that's definitely worthy of a submission top the developer.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I hate that the Print Room is going and aesthetically I hate the design of this building (I think it's ugly), but I accept it has nice active frontages (ground floor retail/restaurant/bars), good visual engagement, good street interaction, high quality materials etc. It's funny how people will praise the Dublin Rd Movie House (a building with totally crap frontages, terrible street interaction - it's like a bunker) and then chastise this building which ticks all the boxes from a planning perspective.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Howdy plank - again for the sake of rooting conversation in what is really felt and said and not spiralling hyperbole, Movie House isn't monstrous, the curved cornering showing how powerful a feature it can be to soften what would have been otherwise just a full blown eye sore.

With the signage worked in it isn't awful, and nowhere near Carrol's souvenir shop levels of bad.

Sixth has the air of 'been there, seen that' which is acceptable in say Chichester St, but in the supposedly historic area seems to miss a chacne to have ANY sort of character - the vaulting would have been the one thing that would have, like the ever so slightly avant garde curved fronting of Movie House (I said EVER SO SLIGHTLY!).

Again these schemes always seem to have a difficult to swallow pill, and then an outright bitter pill, namely those windows on the actual olde Telegraph building. Confusing and you see that and it always calls into question the real 'artistry' of the developer

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I'm going to write a script that removes any and all catty references to the necessary and proportional services and features that serve and cater to car drivers, without whom the city would be basically Detroit, let's be honest. Because after from those comments yes I agree

Actually that site looks great because of the space opposite (thanks car park!) and it really becomes this lovely old cliff face of old buildings when looking down the road from the Gasworks junction. Even the buliding in between Limelight and this one manages to be lifted by virtue of looking similar enough to blend in especially if you're looking down the street. Especially in the evening with the setting sun, it's a great looking street with original buildings intact and in use.

Also note the set back upper levels with vaulted* roof.
There's also a great effort (and expense) to maintain the window shapes and frames.

Both of these are lacking on the Sixth. You could actually soften it a great deal if you did something interesting/historically fitting with the windows but alas.

*not architect, not sure what the proper name of that feature is

·
Registered
849 Posts
I agree Joey, even just a wee curve *turns corner*. Love this building.... love it... shame about the road outside and the surface carpark across the road...
Yeah I hope DFI or whoever it is can make a start on realigning this road to connect it to great Victoria Street. It doesn't need to be a dual carriage way just remove the unnecessary junction at the Clayton hotel tree line the route with a bus lane cycle lane and fill the rest with green space and we'll paved footpaths in line with streets ahead.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Worry is given the "build on every spare inch of ground" mentality going it'll simply fill up with buildings. Space is just as important as buildings, and if they did that it'd be great (and to be fair the original plan for the southern ring road did look very green).

[Hey wait, I'm sorry! SIlly me. They won't ever build on it cos there isn't an existing non office buliding there they can stupidly bulldoze for money and night life be damned! Yeah, it'll remain green for a while :p ]

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Any projected start date for this? I note that a Two Door Cinema Club gig has just been announced for here this October, so it doesn't look like much development is happening this year.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Any projected start date for this? I note that a Two Door Cinema Club gig has just been announced for here this October, so it doesn't look like much development is happening this year.
Aye, loads of gigs booked in. Perhaps they're waiting for it to be pre-let before construction begins?

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
It doesn't look like this will be happening anytime soon now given there's concerts booked in for next year...

So given that the council were jointly funding this proposal then perhaps its time the funds were used to convert this into a dedicated concert venue. Or a joint venue between the council and the University for a students union with a music and arts venue attached.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can the council not acknowledge this as being better suited as an events space? Or will a developer looking to convert it into an office block always get preference?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Can the council not acknowledge this as being better suited as an events space? Or will a developer looking to convert it into an office block always get preference?
It certainly seems that whoever wants to build something- and who is happy to head along to the annual croissants and coffee week in Cannes- will get a preference.

It would certainly explain how the worst proposal in Belfast- Botanic Link student accommodation- sailed through the planning process, despite looking like it was knocked up on an Etch-A-Sketch.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts