SkyscraperCity banner

1621 - 1640 of 1757 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Better than the previous disgusting effort (that somehow got approved), this at least attempts to blend in with the TQ building.

Is the arc phase 2 completely toast, or if it did become financially viable does TQ plan to continue with the original design.

With Citi buying Gateway, I'm hoping we will start to see TQ get on with some of its developments.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Looks alright actually

Would have loved to seen something done in corten steel or something a bit Scandi like this, form wise at least...

·
22,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,623
^^

I agree about design but not the corten steel, we're going to have a few building using that material and I love it personally but I don't want to see it appearing everywhere in the city.

The design for North Yard is scandi-like - http://www.futurebelfast.com/property/queens-road-north-yard-offices/

I'm not 100% sure about this proposal, the design is far better than the generic crap as part of the original masterplan but I would have liked to keep that section grassy, though it will start to give that area some structure and it does look pretty decent from Queen's Road and alongside Hamilton dock. I do like the concept though, a 'family hotel' is something that would do well in that area, especially with the new attractions coupled with the expansion and investment in W5.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The actual design looks great, i would prefer if that are was kept grassy too, or opened as a park. The views of the museum might be affected.

Although i also agree that the proposal would create alot of 'structure' to the space like you say. Along with Olympic House or the like tips it to a more developed area, which is needed.

Still i wouldn't mind seeing a render of how it would look on approach to the TQ museum from the river - before i make a judgement.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Still i wouldn't mind seeing a render of how it would look on approach to the TQ museum from the river - before i make a judgement.
On the east of the river, the Odyssey blocks all views until you get past it. The hotel will hide the museum until you get near the front of the Arc.

From the west of the river, I imagine the view won't be too impacted; views of the museum would be more affected by the proposed Arc 2 apartments and the tower.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I didn't see it mentioned in any of the news articles, but the Hamilton Dock hotel public information session is tomorrow from 3pm to 7pm in Titanic Belfast, Olympic suite. In case anyone is in the area and fancies popping in!

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
What happened in the Titanic Quarter / Queens Road yesterday? Just saw the whingers on the Queens Road Commute Twitter account swing back into action after a 6 month hiatus.

Looks like they've finally opened the new "Catalyst inc car expressway"...

·
Registered
840 Posts
I remember seeing the traffic built up on Sydenham Road on my way home yesterday. I just assumed there was an accident on the West link. They need to station permanent cranes when they do the York Street interchange to pick up cars and sling shot them onto the North foreshore for idiot drivers who cant change lanes or merge with traffic.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
They'll need to do some repairs to that particular set!

Was down at the touring exhibition on Saturday, you notice on they way in just how much of that street they burnt for last weeks episode.

The touring exhibition was decent if a little short, and, thanks to the size of some of the props, some exhibits can only be seen on this Belfast leg of the tour.

With the vast amount of props there must be, there is definitely the potential to open something spectacular. There's plenty of empty land around there to build something massive, with that Kings Landing street in the centre of it perhaps.

·
Registered
840 Posts
A game of thrones style ulster folk and transport museum with characters in full dress.
Does anyone know if they normally preserve the studio sets or do they normally scrap a lot of the material when they run out of storage space and no it will not be used to film again.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
There's talk about an official studio tour opening in Mill Studios in Banbridge. People say the set there is far more impressive than King's Landing at the TQ.

1621 - 1640 of 1757 Posts