SkyscraperCity banner

1661 - 1680 of 1757 Posts

·
Registered
13,718 Posts
I guess im just sad and disappointed.
Yes, neither of those developments should be approved in my opinion. Why block the Titanic building with stuff like that? Not worth it. The Titanic building has become iconic for Belfast.

Also agree on the 10 million for the Aquarium, that won't get a class facility no matter what way you do the sums. And this attraction would get many visitors there justifying a much larger investment.

Far better can be achieved here.

·
22,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,662 (Edited)
Another render of the proposed hotel;

Full size - https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img921/1481/74F1PA.jpg

It actually looks pretty decent and I like some of the details and landscaping, just not in that location. Though I'd rather see this portion developed and the proposed aquarium moved elsewhere.

·
Registered
42 Posts

It actually looks pretty decent and I like some of the details and landscaping, just not in that location. Though I'd rather see this portion developed and the proposed aquarium moved elsewhere.
The aquarium isn't going there anymore. I got a letter through the door at the Arc Apartment and the map clearly shows its going directly opposite the Titanic Hotel, to the left of Cast and Crew/ Spud Murphy building. That area beside the Dock/ proposed Hotel is being left as grass.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts

simple, sophisticated and beautiful design. my fear was that the hotel would draw more attention than the museum.

·
22,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,665
The aquarium isn't going there anymore. I got a letter through the door at the Arc Apartment and the map clearly shows its going directly opposite the Titanic Hotel, to the left of Cast and Crew/ Spud Murphy building. That area beside the Dock/ proposed Hotel is being left as grass.

That's excellent news! Be good to see more detail when plans are lodged.

·
Registered
308 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Alot of people moaning on Twitter about this being approved, but in all honestly something here is desperately needed. The TQ is a ghost town after 6pm, particularly in the winter. This hotel will hopefully increase footfall and make future developments (including more apartments, a public park and a bridge) more viable.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I quite like it. I do hate the aquarium though.

It's like they brought an architect back from the 60s and asked him to recladded a brutalist council building in aluminium panels and turn it into an aquarium.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I quite like it. I do hate the aquarium though.

It's like they brought an architect back from the 60s and asked him to recladded a brutalist council building in aluminium panels and turn it into an aquarium.
It's no Zaha Hadid that's for sure. I still dont understand what kind of aquarium they will be able to construct with the small budget they have either. I wonder if it is even a real project.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
It's no Zaha Hadid that's for sure. I still dont understand what kind of aquarium they will be able to construct with the small budget they have either. I wonder if it is even a real project.
I've looked through the plans a few times and i cannot work this proposal out.

The design statement talks about digital interactive screens and an aquarium.

On page 39, it appears you enter in on the left and go up the stairs at the bottom. The exhibition floor in page 41 shows the layout and it doesn't seen to correlate with the tanks (the 'coral' on the ground floor plan). Certainly the first 2 areas don't line up with any tank at all.

They claim it takes 1.5 to 2 hours to go round, but this looks like a 30 minute saunter.

Would certainly like to see more information.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Alot of people moaning on Twitter about this being approved, but in all honestly something here is desperately needed. The TQ is a ghost town after 6pm, particularly in the winter. This hotel will hopefully increase footfall and make future developments (including more apartments, a public park and a bridge) more viable.
"Twitter is like reading every toilet wall in the world" - Ricky Gervais

It's best to pay twitter very little heed.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Riverdance at the Odyssey and various other events created total chaos this weekend in the TQ. It got so bad that the police opened the bus lane to general traffic....

Alot of moaning on Twitter and the usual, "build a motorway right through the TQ".... comments, but when are stressed car drivers going to realise that they are the traffic jam and things will only get better when they leave their cars behind.

Opening a new road entrance into the TQ and upgrading the Sydenham bypass junction may temporarily solve the problem for a few years, but that'll soon reach capacity and we'll back to square one.

The sustainable TQ traffic solution has to be much better public transport options and encouraging people not to drive and park at the venues.

The City Quays and Sailortown pedestrian bridges should be built ASAP, allowing much greater permeability through the area.

Also the free parking for employees at the Science Park has to stop.

Sure I get the argument that people come from far and wide to work there and public transport isn't always easy, but why is it fair to allow a parking free for all at the TQ, when everywhere else in the City Centre has stringent parking regulations.

1661 - 1680 of 1757 Posts