SkyscraperCity banner

1721 - 1740 of 1757 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Further to Boba Fett's question, with regards to H&W, when TQ was first proposed, they had a 100 year plan as it was explained to me, whereby the entirety of Queen's Island was developed, including a lot of where H&W currently operates from. The dry dock was shown as a large marina, with the two cranes retained over it. This caused a bit of a stir, as H&W was obviously very much a fully operational business. Of course it wasn't a plan, just some architects doodle.

Anyway, as long as H&W is operating, TQ won't encroach on their land, unless they decide to sell any of it. And it's not like TQ will be running out of space any time soon, seeing as it is running miles behind their original phasing schedule.

The Titanic slipway was obviously proposed to be a bit more polished than it currently is, but i doubt that will happen until any development proposed around it gets going. It was claimed they decided to do a more stripped back slipway to give it more of a feel as to how they would have been back in the day, but that seemed like corporate waffle for 'we ran out of money and/or time'... The grass areas on one of the slipways are proportioned to represent the number of people lost in the various passenger classes on the Titanic.

Edit- the first post in this thread has the super duper long term plan showing H&W completely engulfed...

·
Registered
840 Posts
I think some planners got a bit carried away with their master plan drawings. H&W don't have any plans to give up anymore land is my understanding. They still have the ship repair site at the top of Queen's Road and then the huge site around the dry dock and cranes. I would love to see more facilties constructed though which may happen. There is pently of room for expansion if required.

·
Registered
840 Posts
On another note, it would be good to see a new master plan for what has actually been built, what is approved and what is proposed to see how many blank spaces are left.
There is still a huge amount of land around go vertigo with nothing proposed that I'm aware of.

Same for Sydenham Road, apart from Agnews are there no other plans to build on it. I think apartments and social housing has been mentioned.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yeah I saw someone complaining on Twitter that there is still unused land on the abercorn basin, however the current area needs to liven up more with more restaurants/bars etc, to drive the money needed to expand further. The approved aquarium should help with this.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Bobba Fett seems to be green space planned in h and w shipway, doubt that’ll go ahead now.
Titanic Quarter is still described as a 185 acre development, I'm assuming it still is or does that figure have to be revised given that Harland and Wolff are staying put?

I suppose even if the figure was revised it wouldn't be by much.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Titanic Quarter is still described as a 185 acre development, I'm assuming it still is or does that figure have to be revised given that Harland and Wolff are staying put?

I suppose even if the figure was revised it wouldn't be by much.

Found this Irish Times article from 2003.

Harland & Wolff (then owned by Fred Olsen Energy) sold the 185 acres of Titanic Quarter land to Harcourt Developments (parent company of TQL) but retained a further 80 acres for the scaled down H&W operation.

The 185 figure is what has been developed to date plus all the vacant land on Sydenham Road and Queens Road which is available for development.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
On another note, it would be good to see a new master plan for what has actually been built, what is approved and what is proposed to see how many blank spaces are left.
There is still a huge amount of land around go vertigo with nothing proposed that I'm aware of.

Same for Sydenham Road, apart from Agnews are there no other plans to build on it. I think apartments and social housing has been mentioned.

This is my rough attempt.

Red- TQs 185 acre site
Green- completed projects (ARC, Gateway, PRONI, MET, Nomadic, Titanic Hotel, Titanic Belfast and Amazon Distribution Centre)
Blue- approved projects/projects under construction (Hamilton Dock Hotel, Aquarium and Olympic House)
Purple- planned projects (Platers Yard (left) and Financial Campus (right))

Plenty of space to go!

TQ
by hypnotoad24, on Flickr

·
Registered
840 Posts
Thanks Hynotoad really appreciate the effort you put in there. It's good to see the two protects that are now in progress but it is worrying there are only two other pending projects that might still be a long way off. Beginning to wonder if we will ever see the arch phase 2 and the tall apartment building on the edge of the basin

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Great graphic

To the completed list, I would add : Titanic Studios, Channel Commercial Park, HMS Caroline, Thompson Dock and the various Catalyst buildings.

I can't see any further development of any of these in the foreseeable future.
That's true, could also add the walkway and lighthouse light to the list too! Oh, and the exhibition centre tent thing. although it is only supposed to be temporary.

Thanks Hynotoad really appreciate the effort you put in there. It's good to see the two protects that are now in progress but it is worrying there are only two other pending projects that might still be a long way off. Beginning to wonder if we will ever see the arch phase 2 and the tall apartment building on the edge of the basin
I doubt we will see ARC 2, in its proposed form at least. Might be a good thing, as it would all look very samey round the basin. There's definitely an opportunity to rethink that whole grassy area. Would really love to see the financial campus go ahead, just to complete that area of the site and get the street network there properly integrated, but if @Petaaa notes they are already looking to sell on the Platers Yard site, i don't hold out much hope for this one.

·
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,733
I wouldn't read too much into the Plater's Yard sale. It's a leasehold with planning permission being sold. TQ retain the freehold and it may just be a different approach to progressing development. TQ itself isn't particuarly strong financially and it's only thanks to Belfast Harbour support that Olympic House is progressing.

Selling leasehold plots could actually allow for quicker development of the area than leaving it all in the hands of TQ.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Licensing laws really are crazy here. You would think if a developer demonstrated they where investing 10s if millions in a hotel the license would be rubber stamped. Just crazy.

·
Registered
495 Posts
At 800 Units, this would have to be sizeable in terms of height. Personally would have preferred this to be adjacent to titanic building so the view was maintained, with a park infront of it.

Thought judging by site size 4-5 15-20 story buildings but the plan includes a park and promenade so will be tall, for instance Ronans Dublin Waterside 2 100 plus metre tower plan was 1000 units.
Was this originally planned as arc 2 which was 16 stories.?
With the corner land earmarked for a 30 story hotel. There is a precedent for height being allowed here despite the proximity to the airport.

1721 - 1740 of 1757 Posts