SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 1076 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I wasnt joking, I really think Carryduff's a shithole. It's like a failed new town, only it's a village, and one there never was a plan. The place is completely geared up for cars, pedestrians are treated like shit. The shopping centre is poor, the place would be nicer with a village high street, with a bypass for the cars heading for South Down. Problem is without passing trade the shops in Carryduff probably wouldnt get enough custom to survive.

It's the same problem you get with virtually all modern suburbs & estates in Northern Ireland. In a traditional village a population of 5000 would mean you have a pleasant high street with loads of shops, at least one pub, etc. On the other hand you have a single estate of 8500 like Ballybeen- 1 mace, 1 corner shop, 1 chemist, 1 taxi depot. Doesnt make much sense does it.

So yeah, as carryduff isnt likely to improve anytime soon, if and when the Superoute comes along, why not bring it to the village. Then every 5 minutes they can grab a super fast bus to the Ormeau to use the facilities they SHOULD have in their own area, but dont. And to ease up the traffic on the way south would be good. In an ideal world the system would go all the way to Downpatrick anyway

·
Registered
322 Posts
Westlink M2 M3 junction upgrade - York Street Interchange

Motorway upgrade could take up to 10 years

http://www.irishtrucker.com/news/news_detail.asp?nid=3954

Plans recently submitted to Belfast city councilors by the Roads Service and Department of Regional Development (DRD) officials outlining the removal of the final bottle-neck on Belfast’s Westlink are expected to cost in the region of 60 million sterling and take up to ten years to complete.

The upgrade is focused on the Westlink/M2/M3 intersection near Yorkgate. The ‘offending’ piece of road structure is the only place where traffic lights are employed on the north’s entire motorway.

The Roads Service says it is looking at the possible problem of traffic chaos and hoping to alleviate it by introducing a series of flyovers and underpasses connecting the three main routes.

Details of the current proposals for the junction can be found here:
http://applications.drdni.gov.uk/publications/document.asp?docid=14389

·
22,105 Posts
I saw 10 years and thought.....omg.....so long.

Then I viewed the plan and I can see exactly why it will take that long, its looks very impressive and will work very well once complete. Great to see the proposal as well as seeing progress with these much needed change.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I wonder if this will have a negative effect on the area for those that live there. The image in the link suggests it wont, but you never know.

In other news, the translink trade union thinks there will be a massive reduction in bus services. Translink are denying this but they do predict an underfunded railway service. The possible bus cutbacks are strange given that in recent weeks some of the metro routes have been made more frequent.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Ten years?? - do build a simple junction? Are they serious? - or is this a Ha Ha? What will they be using? - pensioners equipped with teaspoons?

It only took ten years to re-structure and move the entire Freeway system of Boston MA into multi-lane underground tunnels as part of the Big Dig. Some of the junctions involved were absolutely massive and technically very, very complex, requiring cutting edge engineering in very severe conditions.

By comparison that M2/Westlink junction rebuilding is simplex and should take no longer than a year to complete. This is a very basic little bit of construction - trust the DRD to make it sound like something difficult.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Seems they are doing something serious, but no doubt the first thing he said to them was "do you not want to make it a tram". Starting by 2011 seems a bit late.

I reckon there's going to be more opposition to these bus lines than you'd think. The eastside route will really effect the recently completed Comber Greenway cycle lane

The government say the path can fit the two lanes for buses and the pedestrian path, though I'm slightly dubious. It'll be a tight squeeze and they would probably have to build a path higher up the bank. Dont know if it could accomadate pedestrians without them getting run over by cyclists.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just came across a thing about Caen in France having a bus/tram hybrid system. Caen is a city of 275,000 including all its suburbs. If you look at the photo you can see the buses have wheels but are guided by one rail and have overhead electrification. I suppose this means if it needs to the bus can go off the track and wires to go around obstacles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tramway_de_Caen_Station.jpg

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm going to campaign against this crap system that will destroy the East Belfast Greenway. We need a proper tram network and not these pathetic bendy buses.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm going to campaign against this crap system that will destroy the East Belfast Greenway. We need a proper tram network and not these pathetic bendy buses.
We don't need trams, we need a properly enforced bus lane system and more incentives for people to leave their cars at home or outside the city. Belfast's existing bus service is excellent. It is however hampered by narrow roads and illegally parked cars. There is no need for the greenway to be destroyed when the upper newtownards road is easily sufficient for the traffic.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Why waste millions on trams, we have an excellent bus service. If you live in the Belfast urban area you have nothing to complain about with relation to public transport. Alright at peak times there can be delays, but that happens the globe over. Maybe if the lazy folk who live beside a bus stop would actaully use the bus then it would cut congestion. Also as redstar1 says proper dedicated bus lanes is the way forward.

·
22,105 Posts
Why waste millions on trams, we have an excellent bus service. If you live in the Belfast urban area you have nothing to complain about with relation to public transport. Alright at peak times there can be delays, but that happens the globe over. Maybe if the lazy folk who live beside a bus stop would actaully use the bus then it would cut congestion. Also as redstar1 says proper dedicated bus lanes is the way forward.

I tend to agree in principle, Belfast does have a rather good bus service, though some improvements can always be made, specifically Sunday and late night services.

Bus lanes are essential for the system to work efficiently and be an attractive method by which to commute. I can drive, but work in Belfast city centre where parking is ridiculous in various ways. I live in Glengormley and I am very very well served by buses, yes in rush hour the roads are a bit slow and the buses can be busy, but in general they are fantastic.

I would however support a tram line linking the city centre with the city airport with stops at Custom House, Odyssey/Titanic Quarter and then the airport.To me at the minute this has the chance at being better used and most profitable. To rule trams out completly would be wrong in my opinion.

Personally I may even start to condsider a charge for entering the city centre. I'd support this after a new set of park-and-ride are built with people able to commute to those by car before getting a bus/train into the centre centre. Hopefully freeing up the roads in the CC and ensuring buses are an attractive transport option to take.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Disagree strongly about the buses. Most roads dont have a bus anywhere near as frequent as every 10 minutes, some roads are within walking distance of a 10 min stop, many arent.

Cross city services are almost non existant. The east & north cross city routes that were forced upon translink by the government only run every 1 hour, and can be as much as 15 minutes late. Also there arent enough buses that link residential areas with main areas of employment, eg. boucher road, Mallusk, though to be fair this is much worse in Ulsterbus towns. Virtually no integration with train stops whatsoever, unforgiveable considering translink run the trains.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Cross city services are almost non existant. The east & north cross city routes that were forced upon translink by the government only run every 1 hour, and can be as much as 15 minutes late. Also there arent enough buses that link residential areas with main areas of employment, eg. boucher road, Mallusk, though to be fair this is much worse in Ulsterbus towns. Virtually no integration with train stops whatsoever, unforgiveable considering translink run the trains.
And how much do you think it would cost to have thousands of trams criss- crossing every district of Belfast. They can't even afford to do it right with buses. And what are the first routes they put the trams on-the busy routes which are already well served. Complete waste of money. The buses are not perfect, a bit more money pumped in will go a long way. However until you force people who live in the city from using their cars then they will not be used to their full potential.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I'd imagine the EWAY was planned because with the old railway line being intact it would be cheap to build. Then they refused to go any further than Dundonald, taking away much of its justification but again, much cheaper. The Titanic Quarter one is very short and Sydenham rd/ queens island doesnt have much traffic at the moment, hence cheap to build and few people can complain about it restricting car travel. On the other hand a line on the Ormeau Rd, going to Forestside, belvoir, Carryduff, etc, would probably be more well used. But I think loads of car drivers from here to Downpatrick would scream blue murder if car traffic was reduced to one lane. Would a govt not noted for it's commitment to public transport (like almost anywhere else in Britain) have the balls to take on all those outraged drivers?

Having said that I think all the lines will be useful in reducing journey times dramatically. But they should be much longer, going to Newtownards, City Airport, Poleglass etc.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Something should really be done about the transport facilities at the Odyssey. It frustrates me to see and endless line of taxis outside there, I imagine on certain nights about 70% of those taxis would be going towards the student areas of Belfast. A dedicated bus service going straight to Queens, perhaps stopping at City Hall on the way then finishing outside the student union would relieve a lot of congestion outside the Odyssey.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Sounds like a good idea. However translink quietly got rid of the night buses a few months ago.

Going out on a Saturday is irritating. cant get a drink after 1 and you have to fork out for a taxi home. Wouldnt mind so much if I didnt have to wait ages. Might as well stay at home.

·
22,105 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. However translink quietly got rid of the night buses a few months ago.

Going out on a Saturday is irritating. cant get a drink after 1 and you have to fork out for a taxi home. Wouldnt mind so much if I didnt have to wait ages. Might as well stay at home.

The wait is for a couple of reasons, firstly not enough taxis and another important reason is that private taxis can not pick up from the street without a booking.

·
Registered
211 Posts
depends upon how pissed you are and whether you stop them with your body..... last time i was at the odysee I had to literally run out infront of a taxi before it got to the pavillion and even then you have to lie about where your going, anywhere in north or west belfast? forget it, they wont go...

·
22,105 Posts
depends upon how pissed you are and whether you stop them with your body..... last time i was at the odysee I had to literally run out infront of a taxi before it got to the pavillion and even then you have to lie about where your going, anywhere in north or west belfast? forget it, they wont go...
Never have that problem :)

Getting a taxi to take me home that is.....the pissed issue is a whole different story LOL :)

41 - 60 of 1076 Posts