SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 80 of 1086 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
depends upon how pissed you are and whether you stop them with your body..... last time i was at the odysee I had to literally run out infront of a taxi before it got to the pavillion and even then you have to lie about where your going, anywhere in north or west belfast? forget it, they wont go...
Is this certain firms that do this or just any taxi outside the oddessy? presumably the taxis anywhere else in town arent like this, with the exception of the one on the Donegall rd.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Dont even start me about taxis...

Black taxi drivers are the biggest shower of *****. They are brilliant about complaining when private hire cabs pick up on the street or at say airports ... but try getting one of the hoors to pick you up on the the street on a saturday night.

Belfast city council are shite at sorting them out. If a black taxi has its light on it should be for hire, as per london, i have tried pointing this out and recieved some serious abuse from them.

Far be it for me to be controversial but i think most of them are still up to their necks with the balaclava wearing fraternity and think they are above the law!!

(not unlike bouncers really!!)

Rant over

·
Registered
45 Posts
Downsized rail network 'speedier'

By Mike McKimm
Environment correspondent

Northern Ireland is about to get one of the smallest publicly-run rail networks in Europe.

Trains run at half speed on the track at present
When its main line from Belfast to Londonderry is cut between Ballymena and Coleraine, just three trains will be left to run between the town, Londonderry and the seaside town of Portrush.
But it will only be a temporary network to allow miles of track to be re-laid.
For years the Derry Line, as its become known, has been under threat.
Some politicians claimed there was a plan to let it become so rundown it could be closed.
However, last year saw passenger numbers rise by 20% following the introduction of new modern trains.
But the condition of the track, much of which is over bog land, means that the trains can barely reach half speed at times.
It makes for a slow, uncomfortable and sparse service.
The constant thumping of the train wheels on the track joints every 20 metres is also damaging the new trains.
Using equipment and experts from France and Germany, the track will be re-laid as continuous welded rails.
It will take about four months in total to complete the project which will see trains being able reach much faster operating speeds.
This means more trains operating per hour and a much quieter journey for passengers.

Translink's Mal McGreevy explains the benefits of the work

"Its going to mean a lot more comfort for our passengers", says Mal McGreevy, general manager of rail services for Northern Ireland Railways.
"It's going to mean that our trains travel faster and more consistently.
"It's going to reduce the time between Ballymena and Coleraine from 44 minutes to 34 minutes and ultimately I am looking to get that time down to just over 30 minutes."
Work has already started on the section of line but at the end of March it will be completely closed between Ballymena and Coleraine with a substitute bus service in place.
"We're going to create a very small network that runs from Londonderry to Portrush and we will have a dedicated fleet of trains based in Coleraine", says Mr McGreevy.
"So we probably will have one of the smallest publically operated commercial operations in Europe."
It is hoped the work will be completed by the end of June.
But until then the Derry line will enjoy its moment of fame and independence.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7900379.stm

·
Registered
211 Posts
firstly I think that the rail network should be extended to something of its former glory across all of NI. I even see potential in it reaching fermanagh and perhaps with cross-border cooperation, extending it into sligo to take advantage of the atlantic mainline in the republic. It would open up most of Ireland to belfast. But until the ambition creeps into translink anlong with the cash I think that they should do more to base trains at Derry to run a regional service from Derry to Coleraine or on to Portrush. Then create a metropolitan network for Belfast (this is part of my general idea for Belfast, bit of rebranding would go a long way to enticing people to use the network of buses, trains and hopefully trams. We live in a city with 'fast' in the name, BUSfast TRAMfast, TRAINfast...?) Then there should be greater emphasis put on developing an express intercity between Belfast and Derry. As far as I know we are the only country/state in Europe that doesn't use locomotives to pull our trains, we use small suburban trains for all of our services bar the excellent Enterprise...wtf?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Anyone know anything about this story:

http://www.irishtrucker.com/news/news_detail.asp?nid=4338

£50m investment to construct bridge and tunnel in Belfast

Belfast City Council is considering proposals of constructing a bridge over the M1 in an effort to help regenerate the west side of Belfast.

Plans are also being considered to put in a place a tunnel under the busy Falls Road. The expected cost of the proposed construction would be in the region of £50 million.

Story filed on March 27, 2009

·
22,195 Posts
Have to say....that's all rather impressive.

I don't live nor have much interest in west Belfast but I do know it suffers from economic neglect and could do with some needed investment and infrastructure upgrades. I like the Boucher bridge connected idea and in general the plans look fantastic. Great potential for job creation which is desperately needed in those areas.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Think this is all the info here al73, it was announced a few days ago. The links on down below the press release include some pretty detailed images and pdf's of the masterplan.....
Thanks for that.

We'll be waiting for the next boom before most of this happens. Reminds me a bit of the large scale developments which happened on the outskirts of Dublin over the past 10 years, where former industrial / warehousing areas (bit like Mallusk) were redeveloped into apartments, hotels, etc including rapid transit link eg Leopardstown.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Those proposals are fantastic. West Belfast, and Andersonstown in particular are very disconnected from the rest of the city.

I don't see why we should wait till the next boom. Its essentially infrastructure, and so exactly the sort of project to keep the construction industry ticking over until the next boom, when they can get back to building apartments, and hopefully Bedford Sq. Though no doubt it will take years anyway.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Proposal for 'Integrated Transport Hub' for Belfast to be assessed

Transport Minister, Conor Murphy has welcomed the agreement between his Department, Translink and the Strategic Investment Board to explore the opportunities for a new 'Integrated Transport Hub' for bus and rail services.

The Minister made the announcement during a speech at the 'Belfast City of Quarters' conference today.

The proposal would utilise part of the extensive site at Grosvenor Road owned by Translink, together with the existing facilities at Glengall Street, which comprise the Europa Bus Centre and Great Victoria Street Train station.

Speaking prior to the publication of a prospectus to gauge private sector interest in the project, Minister Murphy said: "I welcome the opportunities that this project would create to provide a more integrated and accessible signature transport facility within Belfast. Clearly in a difficult budgetary context it is important that we explore the possibilities for private sector investment before commitments are made, but this project has the potential to create the leading transportation hub on the island of Ireland which will provide a basis for further opportunities for all the citizens of Belfast and beyond.

"This scheme would provide a new strategic transport link to support the economic growth of Belfast, whilst creating substantial job opportunities and is consistent with the designation of the Grosvenor Road site as a gateway to the city centre. It can also be seen as providing an opportunity for Translink to streamline their bus depot facilities in the medium term.

"Whilst the project is primarily a transport project the development could have wider dimensions and these will be explored with a range of different local and central government stakeholders as well as community and representative groups.

"On the basis of a high level case, I have asked Translink and the SIB to proceed with further environmental and transport assessments and to engage with the private sector to explore the commercial opportunities created by the development."

·
22,195 Posts
Exactly, a world class facility could be built there. It's a wasted opportunity atm.

Demolish Central and use the land for development and a built a smaller station to serve Lanyon Plaza and the developments around the current site.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Just reading through all these posts again, I'm wondering what SnailTrain makes of the thread over on the RoI forum about the Bus Rapid Transit system that a student has integrated into the Dublin Public Transport network?

Have we found one thing about Dublin that he will not heap loads of positive platitudes on? :)

·
Registered
13,911 Posts
Just reading through all these posts again, I'm wondering what SnailTrain makes of the thread over on the RoI forum about the Bus Rapid Transit system that a student has integrated into the Dublin Public Transport network?

Have we found one thing about Dublin that he will not heap loads of positive platitudes on? :)

Considering Dublin's public transport, as much as Dubs may complain, is light years ahead of Belfast's I doubt it. There are problems but Belfast basically does not have a competent public transport network in any guise.

I know there are plans and size and demand must be taken into account but, no, I highly doubt snailtrain will be bitching about Dublin tbh.

·
Registered
13,911 Posts
Indeed, now his much loved metropolis of Dublin may be considering them. Oh the irony.

It's not under consideration in Dublin. There is already a plan. I think Metro and DART underground give alot of scope. We won't need such a scheme. Though in addition im sure something like it could be developed - but we have trams and that should be expanded.

61 - 80 of 1086 Posts