SkyscraperCity banner

1021 - 1040 of 1076 Posts

·
22,045 Posts
Greta Thunberg wants to remove flights.. so we may be well connected to London but if she and her ilk have their way we will have to take a ferry.
'her ilk'?

Greta isn't the only person that is advocating reduction in flights. It may shock you but it's actually been a theme within environmental campaigning for many many years.

Greta isn't going to be the person that removes flights either. Some people really need to unclench and calm down.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Greta Thunberg wants to remove flights.. so we may be well connected to London but if she and her ilk have their way we will have to take a ferry.
*sigh*

Sounds like you're the sort of character whose fragile masculinity is threatened by articulate teenage girls talking with authority about things you don't know much about.

Do you think Top Gear was better when Jeremy Clarkson was presenting it?

Honestly, please have a read at your posts before you click 'submit reply'. If you think the post seems daft, maybe just don't post it, yeah?

·
Registered
757 Posts
I’ll post whatever I want,
Good for you. Just be aware that frankly, some of what you post does read like a BTL comment on the Daily Mail website or a facebook post by a talk radio personality. For example:

I’m not threatened by women doing anything. Stop with your Misandry.
So you're not threatened by women, just their 'ilk'.

I did laugh out lout at that one and the perceived misandry, so if you're trying to be funny, you've succeeded. If you weren't trying to be funny, maybe think about spending your screen time perusing an alt-right sub-thread on Reddit or something like that?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Why is everyone so adamant Belfast City Airport cannot survive. It is literally 10 mins from Belfast CC which is a massive boost for business with London when flying into London City. You can leave one office and be in the other in less than 2 hours. Try doing that from aldergrove. Belfast City will do just fine and all of those flybe routes will be quickly snapped up.

·
Registered
320 Posts
We may well need to cut carbon emissions but reducing flying is not the way to do it. Did you know that in the last X years (can't remember exactly how long) flying has increased 30% in the UK (I think) and aviation CO2 emissions have actually reduced by a couple of %, due to more efficient planes.

ALSO, THERE IS CURRENTLY NO WAY TO FLY WITH ZERO CARBON EMISSIONS!

There are however carbon free alternatives for practically everything else. So move to clean electricity generation, cars, etc. DON'T DEMONIZE FLYING.

What a horrible small insular xenophobic world we would live in if we drastically reduced flying.

And in case people forget, we are part of an island, part of a larger country, which itself is an island. So demonizing flying, talking about increasing taxes and prices, etc. what stupidity! I would say it's shooting yourself in the foot, but it's more like shooting yourself in the head.

On the topic of Flybe, it's sad that this has happened... the people and places who rely on Flybe don't deserve it. Flybe's owners do deserve it.

On the topic of Belfast City Airport, I wouldn't even consider using the international airport unless I HAD to. A dump, in an inconvenient location, filled with bucket and spade wielding 7am drinkers. No thank you.

Also one thing people seem to forget, Easyjet, Jet2 and Ryanair don't connect with long haul like Flybe did. Flybe to Manchester (for long haul connections) and also London City were incredibly useful routes for me.

I really hope a proper "business" airline takes over Flybe's routes, and not a LCC, which would be disasterous for connections and business fliers who value frequency/convenience, and by extension would be terrible for Northern Ireland.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good for you. Just be aware that frankly, some of what you post does read like a BTL comment on the Daily Mail website or a facebook post by a talk radio personality. For example:

So you're not threatened by women, just their 'ilk'.

I did laugh out lout at that one and the perceived misandry, so if you're trying to be funny, you've succeeded. If you weren't trying to be funny, maybe think about spending your screen time perusing an alt-right sub-thread on Reddit or something like that?
We have a vacancy for this forum's morally superior overseer, if you are interested?

·
Registered
757 Posts
We have a vacancy for this forum's morally superior overseer, if you are interested?
I've been a regular user of these forums for about a decade. The standard of discussion is well informed, convival and worth the effort of me logging in a few times per week. If someone lowers the tone and takes threads off topic with nonsense about nonexistant misandry I'll suggest they give it a rest, otherwise they're wasting everyone's time.

If someone want to talk s***e there are plenty of other forums for them to do it. Nothing to do with morals. Now, how about we steer this thread back on topic, eh?

·
Registered
30,955 Posts
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-51749152

Scottish airline Loganair has announced it will take up two routes formerly flown by Flybe out of Belfast City Airport.

Flybe went into administration earlier on Thursday, putting 2,000 jobs at risk across the UK.

All Flybe flights were cancelled and its passengers have been advised not to go to the airport.

Flybe operated 14 routes from Belfast City Airport - about 80% of its scheduled flights.

Loganair said the two routes - between Aberdeen and Belfast and Inverness and Belfast - will commence on 16 March and 23 March respectively.

The airline will be taking up 16 formerly Flybe routes across the UK and has opened a special recruitment line for former Flybe employees.

Belfast City Airport said "a number of airlines" have expressed interest in taking over its routes affected by the collapse.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I really hope a proper "business" airline takes over Flybe's routes, and not a LCC, which would be disasterous for connections and business fliers who value frequency/convenience, and by extension would be terrible for Northern Ireland.
I like the idea of Logan Air. NI and Ireland are probably even more reliant on flights in and out than Scotland. Pity someone with experience and capital couldn't set up a local equivalent :lol:

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
It is literally 10 mins from Belfast CC which is a massive boost for business with London when flying into London City. You can leave one office and be in the other in less than 2 hours. Try doing that from aldergrove.
I guess it comes down to whether you think a busy airport should be located in a densely populated urban area, or in a field in Antrim with excellent public transport options*

With CO2 emissions from aviation set to rise massively and pollution in Belfast already at dangerous levels, I think it's time we seriously considered shutting down both the Belfast City and Derry airports and then building a publicly owned terminal at Aldergrove with a high quality, electrified rail line to Aldergrove from Belfast City Centre and L'Derry....

·
Registered
320 Posts
I like the idea of Logan Air. NI and Ireland are probably even more reliant on flights in and out than Scotland. Pity someone with experience and capital couldn't set up a local equivalent :lol:
Yeah either could do well I think. But I fear that Easyjet/Ryanair will bump up capacity (after the coronavirus blows over) and that will make it hard for a new entrant to find traction without the brand awareness that Flybe had.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I guess it comes down to whether you think a busy airport should be located in a densely populated urban area, or in a field in Antrim with excellent public transport options*

With CO2 emissions from aviation set to rise massively and pollution in Belfast already at dangerous levels, I think it's time we seriously considered shutting down both the Belfast City and Derry airports and then building a publicly owned terminal at Aldergrove with a high quality, electrified rail line to Aldergrove from Belfast City Centre and L'Derry....
You make some good points. City airport has a fantastic location if the main criteria is travel time for business customers, but on a lot of other criteria it definitely falls short. I would be curious to see how much air pollution in Belfast is caused by flights at the City.

With a change in management, proper public transport and a few hundred million £££ thrown at it, there's no reason why the International couldn't be the only passenger airport in NI. But as it currently stands, I avoid the International in the same way I avoid the toilets on day 3 of a 3 day music festival...

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Rumours circulating online that Ryanair will backfill on Stansted and Manchester plus new East Midlands route and perhaps Exeter or Bournemouth too! Also new Easyjet route to Leeds. All from Belfast International....

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
It's a ghost town now. Feel sorry for the workers being laid off. Not sure how they're going to get themselves out of this predicament tbh..

Belfast City Airport: Two food outlets temporarily close after Flybe collapse

The company that operates food and beverage services at Belfast City Airport has closed two outlets temporarily.

The airport lost about 80% of its flights as a result of Flybe's collapse.

HMSHost said it had closed the Starbucks and St Georges market outlets; a third outlet, The Artisan, remains open.
Read more at - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-51826307

·
Registered
713 Posts
Its not great, no, but it is ultimately temporary hopefully... I only hope they can backfill these slots sharpish. No doubt lots of confidential negototiations going on but all seems to have gone quiet, and of course COVID-19 uncertainty will not be helping at all.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Some good news, Eastern Airways are launching Belfast City - Southampton, but only 6x weekly...

Going to need far more than this. I suspect Easyjet will be eyeing up that route too once the virus blows over. I hope Eastern know what they are doing otherwise they won't last very long against the big boys...

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
True, but I can't see where the new airlines are going to come from and if this virus rolls on into the summer then I think the city airport might struggle to keep the doors open. I've even heard that BA/Aer Lingus are keeping their options open re a potential switch to BFS, but that's pure speculation/rumour. A switch like that would be terminal for the airport.

Other speculation is that owners 3i might try and sell the airport and Belfast Harbour could take it on and develop the land as some sort of 'urban village'?

Then all Northern Irish aviation can concentrated at one un-restricted site (BFS) and transport infrastructure can be put in place to serve BFS and significant redevelopment at the airport takes place.

1021 - 1040 of 1076 Posts