SkyscraperCity banner

1081 - 1101 of 1121 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
There was an article in one of the local papers in Ballymena this week that Translink have submitted a Proposal of Application Notice for the redevelopment of Ballymena Bus and Train station, including a new 400 space P&R. The article also suggested that a website for consultation would go live on 14 May (I think that was the date). However, I can't see any other evidence to support this, other that it continuing to be proposed project on the ISNI website, albeit with construction dates being continuously pushed back.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Don't get me started. That £145 million high street voucher scheme would go a long way to funding these infrastructure projects also......
It's yet another monumental waste of money by the Executive. I can understand the logic behind the scheme, in that it's a better way to pump money into the economy than by simply handing the retailers money with no strings attached but if the idea is to ensure that the money stays in the local economy, it clearly is not going to do that, when the majority of the £145m is going to be spent in Tesco!

·
Registered
33 Posts
There was an article in one of the local papers in Ballymena this week that Translink have submitted a Proposal of Application Notice for the redevelopment of Ballymena Bus and Train station, including a new 400 space P&R. The article also suggested that a website for consultation would go live on 14 May (I think that was the date). However, I can't see any other evidence to support this, other that it continuing to be proposed project on the ISNI website, albeit with construction dates being continuously pushed back.
The PAN (LA02/2021/0392/PAN) for the park and ride has been submitted and approved but still can't see anything about the station redevelopment itself.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Also new a P&R at Trooperslane

Would live to see a new Lisburn West Station and P&R or the like to support the planned western extension of Lisburn.

Edit: it got planning permission last year which I forgot:

·
saulalvarez
159 Posts
It looks good, but location wise it is still a poor location and still very disconnected from the UU and Cathedral Quarter for pedestrians, being divided by a motorway. I know a new station at Gamble Street beside the Royal Mail building was talked about but would require work on the tracks. That would be a great stop for CQ and City Quays which are developing.

It feels like more stops are needed to change people's transport habits and to get greater passenger numbers. Many current stops are poorly located, suburban ones included. Belfast should aspire to have something similar to the network in Newcastle.

·
Registered
543 Posts
yea with a few strategic investments Belfast it has the potential to be an even better suburban rail network.

I think because the track bends on Gamble street it might not be that feasible, but on Nelson street (im no engineer) it looks straighter and still handy to City quays and UU, alhtough i guess that will be right in the middle of the new york street interchange.

What a better way to watch gridlocked traffic from than a raised train stop. lolol

·
22,248 Posts
The curve isn't the issue, Gamble Street is actually a good spot as double track already exists though it operates as a passing loop. Curved station platforms are perfectly feasible ands there's space on each side of that area to allow for them.

An additional station isn't possible until the entire viaduct has been upgraded to dual track. Translink really need to start looking at it and progress plans.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A railway station on Gamble Street would be prohibitively expensive, as it would require doubling the bridge track and constructing a new spur to connect it to the Bangor-Newry line. The guts of 20-30 million, which is a huge waste of money when compared to a city centre BRT route, which would provide a better return on investment.

·
saulalvarez
159 Posts
The only alternative is that area and around Yorkgate getting very built up, such as the many carparks with more student accomodation/offices/shops and making it a developed area and like a continuation of the UU campus and the city centre all along York Street. Maybe Translink are hoping this does happen to save them extra expense. Would make it a more desirable place to get a train to. Currently in a kindof no-mans land though unless you want to go to Yorkgate.

·
22,248 Posts
A railway station on Gamble Street would be prohibitively expensive, as it would require doubling the bridge track and constructing a new spur to connect it to the Bangor-Newry line. The guts of 20-30 million, which is a huge waste of money when compared to a city centre BRT route, which would provide a better return on investment.
Dual-tracking will be required in the future, Translink have already acknowledged this and it's essential for their desire to further increase patronage on the northern routes and increased frequency for Belfast-Derry trains. Additional work and new passing loops are also required for this from Bleach Green.

The track is already dual-track from Lanyon Place until you get to Queen's Quay and the bridge starts, so no additional track would be required there.

If we want to build a decent suburban rail network then we also need halts to serve Giants Park/Shore Road as well as a halt that could serve Abbey Centre/Merville/Rathcoole. If this is progressed then the Glider North route can be directed via the Antrim Road to Newtownabbey and then both main arterial routes have good public transport alternatives.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,095 ·
New stations on curved track are prohibited in Britain (too easy for passengers to fall in between the gap), but I don't know if that law applies to here or if Gamble street is curvy enough to qualify as a curve.

I do think Merville opposite Longwood Road would be a good location for a station, especially if there was a free & frequent shuttle bus to Mallusk via Glengormley- there's a decent amount of trip generators on Church road. Plus there is space for a modest park & ride at the halt on land zoned industrial but has not been developed for decades. There must be an unwritten policy that says the Lisburn Road requires a train station every mile but the Shore Road doesn't, or somewhere like central Craigavon would be a very bad location for a halt.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Dual-tracking will be required in the future, Translink have already acknowledged this and it's essential for their desire to further increase patronage on the northern routes and increased frequency for Belfast-Derry trains. Additional work and new passing loops are also required for this from Bleach Green.

The track is already dual-track from Lanyon Place until you get to Queen's Quay and the bridge starts, so no additional track would be required there.

If we want to build a decent suburban rail network then we also need halts to serve Giants Park/Shore Road as well as a halt that could serve Abbey Centre/Merville/Rathcoole. If this is progressed then the Glider North route can be directed via the Antrim Road to Newtownabbey and then both main arterial routes have good public transport alternatives.
They need to Dual Track the whole network and up the line speed. Otherwise trains competing with cars is a futile effort.

·
22,248 Posts
Dual-tracking the entire northern line doesn’t make economic sense. Some dual-tracking and new passing loops as well as eventual electrification and new signalling will improve frequency and journey times. In some places dual-tracking is not possible.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The public won’t use infrastructure that isn’t invested in. With no long term planning in the form of infrastructure.

·
22,248 Posts
The public won’t use infrastructure that isn’t invested in. With no long term planning in the form of infrastructure.
Investing is fine. Wasting public funds on projects without any economic return is careless and jeopardises other infrastructure projects.

Capital spending is not limitless, it needs to deliver a return across a range of measures.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It’s not a waste of money to raise the rail infrastructure into the 21st century.

The Derry line is after all the busiest single track line in the entire U.K.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ideally, it needs dualled as far as Coleraine but in the absence of funds (which will always be the case), massive benefits could be achieved by dualling the stretch between Antrim and Ballymena (which should be reasonably cheap, as this was originally dualled and so the trackbed for the second track still exists). This would mean that there would no longer be any need for trains to wait in Ballymena to pass each other and would reduce journey times. Some additional passing loops might be nice, but they wouldn't bring the same level of benefits, as one train would still be required to wait for the other to pass.

1081 - 1101 of 1121 Posts