Planning Consultant: Savills
Floor space: 1.5m sqft
Height:
Cost: £500m

Images courtesy of Tribeca Belfast

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Was hoping they might have had a rethink with the Royal Avenue element. Sadly no. In the image, as bad as the new box is, the extension to the building on the right is tragic. Really poor stuff.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Was hoping they might have had a rethink with the Royal Avenue element. Sadly no. In the image, as bad as the new box is, the extension to the building on the right is tragic. Really poor stuff.
The should have made it match the curved building on the right. Not really a fan of any of the new buildings in those pictures, especially the fourth image

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Hasn't been any movement on site at all. Perhaps after Christmas?
Reports today saying start next year with this phase complete by 2019. This phase seems to comprise the Garfield building and its extension out the rear, the office building on Royal Avenue and the bigger office building behind it.

Plans for the remaining phases to be submitted early next year, so he fate of the old anchor store and the tall building will be known soon enough.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
^^

The fourth image is the anchor store so that may still change as planning hasn’t been submitted for that yet.
Hopefully they will, a design for a large anchor store is hardly going to be easily altered to residential/office, given the need for many more windows.

The should have made it match the curved building on the right. Not really a fan of any of the new buildings in those pictures, especially the fourth image
Ignoring the old anchor store, i think that image shows a lot of potential; the cluster of red brick buildings, incorporating old and new, looks well. The new paving looks tremendous too. If they redesign the anchor store to something better, the view down the street from the Cathedral could look impressive.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Couldn't come up with an original name then?

Tribeca
Neighborhood in New York City, New York

Tribeca is a hip area known for its old industrial buildings, many now turned into residential loft space. Cobblestone streets are lined with trendy boutiques and restaurants. Historic commercial buildings include the red-brick New York Mercantile Exchange edifice, from 1884.

·
reach for the skies
763 Posts
Have lost all faith in this regeneration project - it's an on-going joke, even more so now they've renamed it after a neighbourhood in NYC! Why draw comparison with a renowned, cosmopolitan city?

Telegraph article says it all...'entirely probable that the first phase could be completed in 2021.' In other words don't count on it.

They're right about needing to rethink retail elements, we don't have the population here to sustain it.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...he-forefront-of-european-cities-37575827.html

·
Registered
757 Posts
I wonder would this project have received as much vitriol if the PR company had actually bothered to do any real homework. They seem to have alienated absolutely everyone who has even a tangential interest in the CQ, Royal Exchange, or *shudders* Tribeca.

The new name basically summarizes the amateurish approach to building public support for this project. The developers and PR people could have taken inspiration from the centuries of history that have defined the CQ to find a suitable, locally relevant name and use for the area.

But instead, they cut and paste the name of a hyper gentrified neighborhood an ocean away from CQ (both geographically and culturally).

FFS, they could have come up with a more appropriate name if they had only spent an afternoon googling 'cathedral quarter belfast history'. That's actually the only effort they needed to make.

At this stage, it's actually tragicomic.

Oh yeah, I finally had a browse at the Save CQ website. They received a lot of criticism on these forums and others because they don't have half a billion quid down the back of the sofa to regenerate the area, which I always felt was a slightly unfair criticism. But anyhow, their website is loaded with well researched, valid critiques of the proposals. I just wonder if the developers had done the same level of critical research, would this development be half finished already, with buy-in from the people who actually live and work there? Fair play to Save CQ, says I.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
To be fair, as this is an open air development with existing streets there will be no need to call it anything. But in this conceptual stage it needs a name of some sort just to entice investors in. Those three syllables don't trip off the tongue for me but in five to ten years we may have forgotten all about it.

·
22,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
^^

I tend to agree. I dislike the name but the streets aren't being renamed and the new streets and squares are following naming convention for the area (Assembly Square, Church Square, Upper Lombard etc.)

The 'Tribeca' name is very lazy but it'll be forgotten in a while as the development starts to rise and some tenants are secured. As you say, it's purely to get some investor interest.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Given that the old promo blitz for this scheme was 'TBC' and had a triangle logo... this Tribeca name has clearly been in the works for a good while.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts