SkyscraperCity banner

181 - 192 of 192 Posts

·
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Although i did particularly like the Green councillor's concern about a lack (?) of car parking. Maybe i picked him up wrong. But i thought that would be a positive.
No you picked him up right, I thought that was a nonsense from him. The massive basement car park has been abandoned and rightly so. There's no need for lots of car parking, the developer is proposed a car share scheme with some parking, that's perfectly ample for a city centre development.

Personally I think Castlebrooke have engaged more than any other previous owner of this site but we have to realistic at the end of the day. They aren't going to develop if it doesn't turn a profit, the basic economics haven't changed.

They can certainly make some additional changes, particularly relating to housing and Writer's Square but to be perfectly frank, the call from SaveCQ for 'family housing' is all well and good but families just don't want to live in the city centre. There's no childcare, schools, GP practices, dentists or anything that would support that. I'd also be certain the recent lockdown has made the idea of apartment living for a family rather unattractive.

Social housing provision is fine but the developer nor Council have power to decide where social housing is build. Social housing is driven by need and if the Housing Executive say there is a need for it in this location then fair enough. There's also a difference between social housing and affordable housing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Social housing provision is fine but the developer nor Council have power to decide where social housing is build. Social housing is driven by need and if the Housing Executive say there is a need for it in this location then fair enough. There's also a difference between social housing and affordable housing.
We all know how social housing ends up in Northern Ireland, bringing those problems to this development would kill any remaining chance of its viability.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Sorry yes - in social housing provision I was thinking broader, like the current supported housing that is currently there and such, having older residents in the area can bring a stability etc etc.

But I do think generally yes it needs to be a mix of housing - including alot of private. Either way - I think Castlebrook would have delivered a good scheme. Hopefully they will still be able to in the recovery years.

·
Registered
757 Posts
It is disturbing how filthy and grubby this place has become and the lack of economic activity is extremely troubling but not surprising given the obvious inability of the city to attract foreign investment and the deferral of the Tribeca scheme makes clear that Belfast is closed for business. The vocal cheerleaders of SaveCQ and those on the hard left claim that these decisions should be celebrated, but beyond their reality bubble, most people in Belfast want economic stability and growth, and if that means demolishing a few abandoned buildings to generate thousands of new jobs, then that is how it should be.
😂

This entire neighbourhood was bought over 20 years ago by Ewarts, who were the people behind the previous incarnation of this project, back when it was known as Royal Exchange. Ewarts landbanked it for two decades to cash in on increased property prices.

They had no intention of actually building or restoring anything, they just wanted the land value to increase so they could flog it for a profit. It's a common business tactic in cities all over the world. And guess what? It's the opposite of hard left economics. It's Thatcherite economics.

As I said elsewhere on this thread, many of the people in Save CQ are the same people who actually created the CQ in the first place. True story. So the idea that SaveCQ or some phantom leftists are responsible for the dereliction in the area is daft.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Terrible decision. Unfortunately the DUP/SF will probably not suffer greatly from the loss of votes from those that care about built heritage. Easier to sell that they are bringing construction jobs and future jobs(unrealised)...

...But the idea that a city already saturated in vacant high street retail and vacant office space needs more high street retail space and office space, especially post COVID when flexible working may become the norm is staggering.

I was hoping North Street could of been like Columbia Road in London with small independent units and people living upstairs.

All of this highlights how unqualified politicians are to make planning decisions.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Long read but full details on every building proposed, 10 storey office plus 15 storey 57m appartments.

181 - 192 of 192 Posts