SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 192 Posts

·
22,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
^^

Was going to say..

'Triangle beside the cathedral'

I doubt they'll change their mind but may keep the name confined to international marketing efforts and the sales pitch to businesses and investors.

I am interested to see what plans they now have for the former anchor store plot and surrounding area. Like you I rather like the other elements along Donegall Street, if they continued that along the street with varying designs and roof heights I'd be happy.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I told a white lie, it's not just a case of me being "not madly fussed" about the new name, I'm actually really annoyed.

ANY chance they can be persuaded to change it?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Lord Kilclooney isn't too keen on the name either and if I'm not mistaken Niall O'Donnghaile of Sinn Fein isn't as well.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
All this flapping over a name when there are much bigger issues with the scheme- the crap frontage onto Royal Avenue, the domination of office space in Phase 1B when there are any gods amount of office proposals underway or proposed, and the fact we are still somewhat in the dark about what the remainder of the scheme will look like and comprise.

As BUG pointed out, the streets will all continue to have local names long after the last 'Tribeca' advertising brochure has run off the printing press.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
DUP city councillor Lee Reynolds will propose a motion that calls on Castlebrooke Investments to drop the naming plans during a Belfast City Council meeting next Monday.....

“This Council, whilst welcoming investment and the regeneration of our City, calls upon Castlebrook Investments to drop the Tribeca branding for their City centre regeneration scheme,” the motion will read.

Councillor Reynolds said the name does not reflect the real Belfast.

"We have spent the last couple of years trying to develop a brand and an identity for Belfast and two important things, it has to be authentic and it has to be distinctly Belfast," he told BBC Radio Ulster.

"Taking a name from another city is neither authentic nor distinctly Belfast."

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
^^

I refer to my previous post... the name, the name the name. So much fixation on a bloody branding name and whether it is authentically Belfast. Meanwhile the failings of the scheme- some real and some potential- continue to be ignored.

·
22,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
^^

I refer to my previous post... the name, the name the name. So much fixation on a bloody branding name and whether it is authentically Belfast. Meanwhile the failings of the scheme- some real and some potential- continue to be ignored.

Maybe that was a work of genius by the developer....

Obfuscate with the name and people will ignore the other, and more important, shortcomings :shifty:

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I'm sorry but I support Lee Reynolds. I'm totally scundered about the name Tribeca.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Council has no power to force a name change .

Tribeca Belfast development name opposed by council

The name for a new £500m development in Belfast has been opposed by councillors, who passed a motion calling for it to be changed.

The 'Tribeca' development by Castlebrooke Investments is proposed to regenerate a large part of the Cathedral Quarter.

On Monday, Belfast City Council passed a motion saying the name was not suitable for Belfast.
Read full article at https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-46793162

·
Registered
840 Posts
I'm with Johnny on this one, nature will reclaim it before any work actually happens.

If it ever is completed, the section closest to Cathedral Quarter will be considered part of Cathedral Quarter and the section closest to Royal Avenue will be considered part of North Street or Royal Avenue. No one will ever refer to it as Tribeca of Royal Exchange (since there will be no exchange worth talking about). So who gives a toss about the name.

For those upset about the historic buildings being pulled down and replaced, I just don't see many that are salvageable. These buildings have been derelict for decades with no heating, guttering or ceiling worth talking about. The walls just about support themselves and I don't think they are on power with anything in CQ. I am glad they are restoring the Garfield bar but I honestly don't think any of the buildings that made up the old Royal Exchange are salvageable.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I would rather the council put stricter criteria on the buildings that will replace Royal Exchange. There is no reason we cannot replace them in 2018 with something more architecturally pleasing and inspiring than what was built 100 years ago.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I would rather the council put stricter criteria on the buildings that will replace Royal Exchange. There is no reason we cannot replace them in 2018 with something more architecturally pleasing and inspiring than what was built 100 years ago.
Agree with that. Sadly the council have already dropped the ball by approving the dreadful office building for Royal Avenue- what should be Belfast's most impressive street- the crap extension to the building next door and the messy extension to the Garfield Buildings. Whereas if they had applied the same rigor they did with the Clarence Gallery development, we could have had something more befitting of Royal Avenue at least.

·
22,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Agree with that. Sadly the council have already dropped the ball by approving the dreadful office building for Royal Avenue- what should be Belfast's most impressive street- the crap extension to the building next door and the messy extension to the Garfield Buildings. Whereas if they had applied the same rigor they did with the Clarence Gallery development, we could have had something more befitting of Royal Avenue at least.
I actually quite like that element. :shifty:

There's no point trying to replicate the style of Garfield so they opted for a contrast. I like the angular design and materials they've opted for.

21 - 40 of 192 Posts