SkyscraperCity banner

101 - 120 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I'm hoping you're wrong and work will commence once/if the brexit deal passes.
Same goes for many other sites but mostly notably Belfast Waterside, which has clearly hit a roadblock, Brexit or not Brexit related. The developer was meant to be cash rich and ready to start early summer 2019. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Outline planning permission for the remainder of the scheme in for next week's planning committee. Recommended for approval.

Application here

A number of associated demolitions also in for planning approval. Also a number of specific developments in for approval, and all recommended for approval, subject to conditions:

• Partial demolition and realignment of North Street Arcade;
  • Conversion of the assembly rooms to hotel, including demolition and replacement of rear extension; and
  • Renovation of Braddell building to include retail/cafe/cultural space.

Some CGI images in the outline approval document. Look a lot more bland than the colourful sketches!

TRI1
by hypnotoad24, on Flickr

TRI2
by hypnotoad24, on Flickr

·
Registered
509 Posts
Looks fine - Birmingham's "Paradise" comes to mind.

Kinda hoped for more with the Assembly Rooms - more than a hotel - like a Gallery or something.

Good to see renovations on Braddell Building, and reopening of North Street Arcade.

·
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I don't understand why the architects are always nobodies there. I have never heard of them and this seems to be a trend with projects in Belfast.

I don't know why that is. Anyone know?

I'm guessing cost saving but will accept other explanations.

(I'm not saying they are good or bad)
Squire and Partners are not an Irish firm and are they aren't a 'cheap' firm by any means.

https://squireandpartners.com/inform/

·
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
I really dislike that. The building replacing the current hostel on the corner is a big improvement but that office in Writer's Square is overbearing and exceedingly bland. Hopefully that particular element is still a provisional design given it's a later stage.

I hope that Writer's Square block is revised and scaled back.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Squire + Partners is a large, solid and prestigious architectural practice based in Kings Cross in London and having worked with them extensively in the past, can vouch for their quality in this sort of mid to high end masterplanning and regen work. They are markedly better than many of the corn flakes box merchants based here, and comparable with some of the larger dublin and cork practices.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I really dislike that. The building replacing the current hostel on the corner is a big improvement but that office in Writer's Square is overbearing and exceedingly bland. Hopefully that particular element is still a provisional design given it's a later stage.

Yeah, what is going on there? ...that's not great at all. I think Squire and Partners had quite a lot do do with some of the recent projects at the top end of Granary Square in London, which had to be sensitive to many of the heritage buildings around it (UAL/central saint martins and coal drop yards for example). They turned out really good there, so hopefully this will be refined somewhat and as you say, a little less bland and overbearing and more importantly sensitive to it's grand old neighbour across the road.

·
Registered
716 Posts
It just angers me seeing that green sh!t on the mid rise
I wonder is it a nod to the some of the copper turrets on roofs commonly found in victorian architecture in belfast and some of the nearby buildings like the BoI building etc?

I don't find it particularly offensive... and what's wrong with Sheff?!

·
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
It just angers me seeing that green sh!t on the mid rise.

Belfast is not Sheffield.

Seriously. They have to redo that. The lower elements are ok.

Actually the low elements are quite good.
I'd imagine that's oxidised copper, to match the copper domes and cupolas present in the city centre. Could actually look rather lovely.

·
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Yeah, what is going on there? ...that's not great at all. I think Squire and Partners had quite a lot do do with some of the recent projects at the top end of Granary Square in London, which had to be sensitive to many of the heritage buildings around it (UAL/central saint martins and coal drop yards for example). They turned out really good there, so hopefully this will be refined somewhat and as you say, a little less bland and overbearing and more importantly sensitive to it's grand old neighbour across the road.
In fairness to them the elements of the scheme they have redesigned and presented with more detail do look very good. I think the office in Writer's Square is not the final design and will be subject to change

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
I wonder is it a nod to the some of the copper turrets on roofs commonly found in victorian architecture in belfast and some of the nearby buildings like the BoI building etc?

I don't find it particularly offensive... and what's wrong with Sheff?!
I'm not being offensive to Sheffield but whether you regard Belfast as a capital or not all I am concerned about is that every city on the island has a standard. I really don't like that green.

Maybe it is just me and others seem to like it.

What are the proposed materials? That makes or breaks it really but I still don't get the colour.

·
Registered
55 Posts

I think the same. I don't mind the corner building but the rest looks so bland and uninspiring, especially the green building and the office building on Writer's Square.
IMO Belfast city centre lacks green spaces so I think Writer's Square should be increased in size with more grass spaces and trees.

·
COYS
1,707 Posts
Any word on the phase around Garfield St? Last I remember hearing was that it was held up due to waiting for some sort of listed building consent in regard to the reconstruction of the victorian facade. Would've thought they'd have begun demo on Royal Av by now.

The outline planning posted above gets a fairly positive reaction from me. Overall promising and well considered, but with any scheme as large as this one, there's always gonna be individual aspects of it that each of us doesn't like. I still struggle to see this thing ever rise out of the ground after so many years of start-stopping and redesigns.

101 - 120 of 192 Posts