SkyscraperCity banner

121 - 140 of 192 Posts

·
22,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
We have left the EU so why would we have a leftist approach to our architecture?
Not sure if you’re being serious but no Brexit talk in non-relevant threads please. If they’re posted they’ll be deleted.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looks good, get it built now!! Nimbyism has held this up too long. This will bring more tourism and more jobs and all the lefties do is moan moan moan.If they don't like it then move somewhere else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good news in theory, yet Castlebrooke don't appear to be doing anything with the previous phase which was already approved. Scaffolding up around Garfield buildings, then nothing for a long time. Is the listed building thing still holding that up?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was ok with original design. 27 seems high but I was just keen to see a city centre population. I would of preferred if they had kept more facades, even if the building lobby entered through an existing building, though i would be guilty of "facadism"

·
22,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Good news in theory, yet Castlebrooke don't appear to doing anything with the previous phase which was already approved. Scaffolding up around Garfield buildings, then nothing for a long time. Is the listed building thing still holding that up?
Not sure what the delay is, it's very annoying though.

I was ok with original design. 27 seems high but I was just keen to see a city centre population. I would of preferred if they had kept more facades, even if the building lobby entered through an existing building, though i would be guilty of "facadism"
In fairness, the revised plan from Squire + Partners has retained more facades on both North Street and Donegall Street than the previous plan and after consultation with the likes of SaveCQ, who incidentally still aren't happy, but we need to move forward and plenty has changed design wise.

·
Registered
75 Posts
In an ideal world, North Street would have been completely renovated, building kept intact, vacant units above shops would be converted into apartments, large vacant retail units would be transformed in to flea markets of affordable mini retail boxes and derelict housing across the city would be renovated instead of left for dead while new housing is built on outskirts. An ideal world.

Tribeca is the reality. Not necessarily good, nor bad. 27 blocks vs 10 blocks makes no difference in terms of ugliness when the tallest building in the area is 4 storeys but given that the Grand Hotel(20 floors) and the Obel(28 floors) stand apart, i see no reason for a highrise to sit between them.

I also think the loss of writers square is no loss given that ive never really seen it be used outside of one of events.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Looks good, get it built now!! Nimbyism has held this up too long. This will bring more tourism and more jobs and all the lefties do is moan moan moan.If they don't like it then move somewhere else.
I think you'll find it was two decades worth of land-banking by the previous owners that held this up for so long. Lefties and moaners had nothing to do with it.

The current owners/developers proposed a load of tosh that was based on 1990s era big-box retail, a model that is clearly in it's death throes. Some well organised community groups forced the developers to change the plans, and we now have a much better proposal as a direct result of that. Again, lefties and moaning didn't come in it.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I can't see any of this actually being built....

I mean we'll probably see hotel schemes and office block schemes progressed when required, but the rest of it is speculative pie in the sky and the developer doesn't even appear to have the investment to build it. I reckon when CB get their PP they'll probably sell the whole thing off to another investment crowd who'll revise the plans and we'll be stuck in this infinite loop...

It's sad because North Street could have been buzzing like Hill Street (Cathedral Quarter) had greedy developers not land banked the whole thing and deliberately ran the buildings and streets into the ground...

·
Registered
6,867 Posts

Twitter is going wild with this, including Culture Night and others who will lose space for their events. Sure it looks terrible and I hope the councillors force them to reconsider the Writers Square element (unlikely), but IMO the developers have shot themselves in the foot by not showing the road as a shared space, or fully pedestrianised with high quality landscaping and greenspace. Even a nighttime render with nice lights would have been better than this dystopian shite. It's like they actually don't care anymore. Terrible.

·
22,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Twitter may be going wild but I'm pretty confident it'll be approved tonight by BCC.

Just get on and build the bloody thing, at least get moving with Garfield and the Assembly Rooms, that'd be a positive start.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Twitter may be going wild over the square but there seems to be little acknowledgement that it sits desolate and empty for 99% of the year. Whilst the new buildings are crap, at least the redevelopment has some sort of vision of getting people into the square.

There is also the new square beside the Assembly rooms and the full pedestrianisation of North Street that will provide extra space, also not mentioned.

I do agree with Plank that its hard to see a lot of this being built. There is still considerable office space proposed, and I just can't see the need for it, in light of the other schemes underway, some of which are speculative. Unless we luck into some post Brexit boom.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
^^

I agree, especially when you consider that Buoy Park will be redone at somestage.

Then you consider the amount of spare land the Cathedral have. It would be amazing if they could open their grounds to create something amazing like this....

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
^^

I agree, especially when you consider that Buoy Park will be redone at somestage.

Then you consider the amount of spare land the Cathedral have. It would be amazing if they could open their grounds to create something amazing like this....
Just need to get rid of all the crappy buildings to the rear of the Cathedral and get paving and landscaping down the Talbot Street side too.... perhaps they could take up a small section of the office space in the Tribeca development!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I can't see any of this actually being built....

I mean we'll probably see hotel schemes and office block schemes progressed when required, but the rest of it is speculative pie in the sky and the developer doesn't even appear to have the investment to build it. I reckon when CB get their PP they'll probably sell the whole thing off to another investment crowd who'll revise the plans and we'll be stuck in this infinite loop...

It's sad because North Street could have been buzzing like Hill Street (Cathedral Quarter) had greedy developers not land banked the whole thing and deliberately ran the buildings and streets into the ground...
Agree 100%. I've never believed this was actually a real project. However if it isn't then this is a real issue for the city. This is a big chunk of city centre that is utterly rotten and dilapidated. Unless it somehow went back into public hands i think this one is pretty much a city killer (if it already hasn't).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Twitter may be going wild over the square but there seems to be little acknowledgement that it sits desolate and empty for 99% of the year. Whilst the new buildings are crap, at least the redevelopment has some sort of vision of getting people into the square.

There is also the new square beside the Assembly rooms and the full pedestrianisation of North Street that will provide extra space, also not mentioned.

I do agree with Plank that its hard to see a lot of this being built. There is still considerable office space proposed, and I just can't see the need for it, in light of the other schemes underway, some of which are speculative. Unless we luck into some post Brexit boom.
I walk through Twitter's beloved 'writers square' most lunchtimes and it is already completely dystopian. It is rarely if ever used for any events and is mostly frequented only by dangerous drunks and drug addicts. I have always hated this square and welcome its demise.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I walk through Twitter's beloved 'writers square' most lunchtimes and it is already completely dystopian. It is rarely if ever used for any events and is mostly frequented only by dangerous drunks and drug addicts. I have always hated this square and welcome its demise.
Yeah, but it has a couple of culture night events once a year and therefore must be kept in its entirety!

121 - 140 of 192 Posts