SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 533 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Would Queens area be considered South Belfast or city centre?

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Is this worthy of a thread? :)
Definitely worthy of a thread! The relocation of a university to an otherwise neglected part of the city centre is definitely worth geting excited about!

I would say Queen's is definitely South Belfast. The whole area is great- plenty of restaurants and cafes along Botanic Avenue; bars and restaurants along University Road etc. It was absolutely hiving today- brilliant to see. As belfastuniguy says, the Queen's area is probably one of the best in Belfast- the pristine terrace along University Square, the Mount Charles area, the region around Upper and Lower Crescent Terrace and, of course, Botanic Avenue itself.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I don't mean that I mean the definition of the city centre.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Impressive. From the Donegall St view, the ground floor glazing makes it look a bit like a shopping mall – maybe thats the point though, perhaps they will have some retail, coffee shops etc at street level. The Frederick St view looks fantastic... realistically, don't expect to see this for some time however.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Am I correct in assuming that the first render in the series is from a different proposal to those following it?

Stylistically it is quite different from the others; plus, the final render in the series appears to be from the same viewpoint.

Assuming this to be the case, they each have their merits. Of the second proposal, it is good to see big, bold, architectural statements being proposed for such a central location - the last render is indeed startling.

For all of that, my aesthetic preference is for the design depicted in the first render. But both are impressive.

It's nice to get a good render after months and months of nothing, eh?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Bit of confusion here methinks – the Co-op building was demolished years ago to make way for the Interpoint(?) building on the corner of Frederick Street and York Street. The remaining building on that block which is currently part of the art college and joined to the main building by way of the walkway over the road, was formerly the Orpheus Ballroom... it's still called the Orpheus building for that reason.

·
Registered
331 Posts
From memory i thought the interpoint building was a heavily facelifted / reclad version of the building that housed the coop until the 1980s??? As when you are walking beside it the brickwork at the bottom and the way the building overhangs is identical to how the coop was. You can also see where the window / displays were...

·
22,101 Posts
The building the walkway joins to has the cooperative name on it and the date, mid thirties if I remember correctly.
Hence I always thought it was part of the co-operative.

Regardless, it should be retained in some part. It's the last building on York street that predates the modern shit that plagues that road.

·
Registered
509 Posts
It would be a great shame if the remaining part of the Co-op building was destroyed in this scheme. It's perfect as an art college, in sharp contrast to the rather corporate building across the new bridge. With some imagination it would be possible to marry the new with the old.

Obel would make perfect halls of residents for students not too fussy about where they live. Can't see anyone else wanting to live there, so this would be the perfect opportunity for the UU to acquire a cheap, ready made solution.

21 - 40 of 533 Posts