SkyscraperCity banner

461 - 480 of 531 Posts

·
22,045 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
The frame for the glazing on the small tower on the Donegall Street corner is going on... so before too long we might actually have a section of the building looking complete.

Edit- and is that some of the brickwork visible behind the blue mesh, just to the left of the poster on the lamppost?

IMGP1685
by hypnotoad24, on Flickr

IMGP1682
by hypnotoad24, on Flickr

·
Registered
833 Posts
Glad the walls are finally coming together on this site. I know its still years away from completion but so long as it looks tidy on the outside I can't see myself ever having the pleasure of being inside. The only time I walked through Queens since my graduation was just to look at the refurbished PFC and Library. Maybe one day they will flatten the admin building.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Absolutely.

I was in the area yesterday and it looks like the shorter towers have topped out. From Library Street / Stephen Street you can get a real sense of the final shape of it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The car park will look the part once finished. Just irks me that it is not a few floors taller, like in the initial renders.

In two to three years time the area will be unrecognisable once all construction work is complete and hopefully the improvements to the public realm and streetscape are implemented.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
From Library Street / Stephen Street you can get a real sense of the final shape of it.
It looks immense looking from Union Street. Have to pinch myself that this isn't some Google office development in London or somewhere. Really hoping the finish is ultra high quality and they haven't cheapened it due to the delays!!

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
The potential for awesomeness on Union Street, Donegall Street and Little Donegall Street is absolutely immense once the University opens.

In the next 10 years I can see this area becoming like the trendy/hipster Northern Quarter in Manchester. Trendy restaurants, bars, cafes, shops, apartments.

Mike's Fancy Cheese got in early for sure!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Absolutely, but it all really hinges on the site bounded by Stephen, Union, Library and Little Donegall Street having great active frontage. (And any potential new library extension opening onto Union Street.)

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
It also depends on the remainder of the area not having been flattened with more of that stealth demolition!

It looks immense looking from Union Street. Have to pinch myself that this isn't some Google office development in London or somewhere. Really hoping the finish is ultra high quality and they haven't cheapened it due to the delays!!
It's encouraging that actual brick is being used on the walls rather than panelling like on the Odyssey or similar. Just wish they were a bit faster with it! I go past that section on Donegall Street most weekends expecting to see some glazing in on the small tower section on the corner... yet there just seems to be more and more steel frame sections going in. Much more and you won't be able to see out the glass!

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Absolutely, but it all really hinges on the site bounded by Stephen, Union, Library and Little Donegall Street having great active frontage. (And any potential new library extension opening onto Union Street.)
Absolutely. I think that site would be a great location for a UU students union with loads of active frontages, including a large hall (2,000 - 3,000 standing) for concerts (should the Telegraph building close)

New library extension with active frontages onto Union and Library Street.

Fill in all the gaps with residential above ground floor commercial.

Then fully pedestrianise and cobble Union Street from The Sunflower right up to Maverick and streets around the Frames building and bingo!!

461 - 480 of 531 Posts