SkyscraperCity banner

481 - 500 of 535 Posts

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
New library extension with active frontages onto Union and Library Street.
Reading this earlier got me in mind of an old painting of the library. Can we get rid of all the modern crap behind it and complete it like depicted here?

And getting rid of all the modern shite on Royal Avenue next to the library up to BoI and rebuilding as shown.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Wow I has not seen old photos of that part of Belfast before.

Id imagine the entire back half of the library would have to go in any redevelopment.

The original extension as planned there looks class. Reminds me of Leeds Library. I'd settle for an extension like Birmingham's Library!

With UU's main Library in the area, it will be quite the bookish corner.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
£100m over the original budget. Absolutely mental. Let's hope it's worth it!!

Ulster University seeks £126m loan for Belfast campus

Ulster University (UU) has requested a loan of £126m from the Department for the Economy (DfE) to complete its Belfast campus.

That is according to evidence given by a senior departmental official to Stormont's Economy Committee.

The NI Audit Office had previously said the final cost was expected to be £100m over the original budget.

UU said ongoing costs for the building were being closely managed and monitored.

According to an audit office report in December, the original business case for the campus put the cost at £254m but it was now expected to cost £363.9m.

Heather Cousins from DfE was questioned about problems with the Belfast campus by MLAs on the committee.
Read full article at - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-51302109

·
22,119 Posts
£100m in fairness is hardly surprising given the massive delay with the basement works and the collapse of Lagan.

Wasn’t aware the EIB loan had been revoked due to delays. Makes this loan request all the more essential. The economic input the new campus will deliver is much higher than this loan or build cost.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Yeah I think the original budget was overly optimistic considering Belfast is built on clay. It was interesting the DUP raised the issue of student fees. The money must be running out as it doesn't look like we can keep up welfare, low tuition fees, no water charges, two education authorities, expensive historical enquiries and low corporation tax (if it ever comes)

481 - 500 of 535 Posts