SkyscraperCity banner

521 - 533 of 533 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
The brickwork looks a bit bland doesn't it. You'd think with all of these modern facades they could do something that looks like they put a bit of effort into the final look.

·
Registered
495 Posts
It’s very Scandinavian in style which suits our weather conditions btw, where the shape of the buildings is the standout feature rather than their colour.

More Scandinavian influence should be coming into Belfast with Waterside quay, and imo it’s been better than what the local architectural style has been.

·
Registered
331 Posts
It’s very Scandinavian in style which suits our weather conditions btw, where the shape of the buildings is the standout feature rather than their colour.

More Scandinavian influence should be coming into Belfast with Waterside quay, and imo it’s been better than what the local architectural style has been.
Yeah, brick any day over white/cream rendering going green after a few years of Belfast weather.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I know what was along York Street a century ago is hard to beat, but this development certainly feels impressive along that stretch, the brick is lovely and the glazing good quality. The Frederick Street part isn't quite as good, the larger expanse of brick and narrow windows on the taller segments looks a bit messy, but its hard to make a complete judgement as there is so much glazing yet to go in.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Don't get me wrong anything it better than white render or grey aluminum panels. But are there not more modern brick facades that offer different level degree of design and a bit of texture. Maybe it will look better when I drive past it in person.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Seen this in person today, I like it but the development seems to be taller than planned (55m), or the listed height of st Patrick’s church (63m) is wrong as the campus definitely looks taller and overshadows it.
Also can’t see the spire of hope well, but I think that’s more to do with the tower cranes.

But all in all it looks great in person, and is an improvement on what was there before.

521 - 533 of 533 Posts