SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 533 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
The building the walkway joins to has the cooperative name on it and the date, mid thirties if I remember correctly.
Hence I always thought it was part of the co-operative.
Yeah you're right sort of. the ground floor to the left of the entrance to Interpoint was used as the Co-Op's grocery dept. I was in there a lot as a youngster.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It would be a great shame if the remaining part of the Co-op building was destroyed in this scheme. It's perfect as an art college, in sharp contrast to the rather corporate building across the new bridge. With some imagination it would be possible to marry the new with the old.

Obel would make perfect halls of residents for students not too fussy about where they live. Can't see anyone else wanting to live there, so this would be the perfect opportunity for the UU to acquire a cheap, ready made solution.
Utter balls, as usual, from SnailTroll. The Orpheus makes for a rubbish art college, and always did – small, cramped, crumbling, outdated facilities.. used mainly as studio and workshop space, it remains virtually the same layout (and condition!) from it's ballroom days. The expanded building across the road is superb by comparison, offering modern facilities, computer suites, lecture theatres etc.. The only thing missing is any kind of student union facilities now the Conor Hall sadly no longer exists.

I should know – I went there as a student many moons ago, and I'm in and out of the place all the bloody time.

But sure, keep spouting the same old guff Snail, eh?
The more you post your inane, pointless drivels or endlessly snidey mantras on here, it reinforces of the old saying that opinions are like arseholes – everybody's got one.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Utter balls, as usual, from SnailTroll. The Orpheus makes for a rubbish art college, and always did – small, cramped, crumbling, outdated facilities.. used mainly as studio and workshop space, it remains virtually the same layout (and condition!) from it's ballroom days. The expanded building across the road is superb by comparison, offering modern facilities, computer suites, lecture theatres etc.. The only thing missing is any kind of student union facilities now the Conor Hall sadly no longer exists.

I should know – I went there as a student many moons ago, and I'm in and out of the place all the bloody time.

But sure, keep spouting the same old guff Snail, eh?
The more you post your inane, pointless drivels or endlessly snidey mantras on here, it reinforces of the old saying that opinions are like arseholes – everybody's got one.
I went there too, so be careful voicing your opinions as if they were shared by everyone. On a recent visit to the "new" building a large group of ex art college artists expressed these words: "Very nice, but where's the art college?"

My fear is that the UU, which has never really understood the function and practice of an art college, will take the opportunity to further diminish the practice of the fine arts in particular. That remains to be seen.

Meanwhile, your insults directed at me are just childish, and based on ignorance. You may have attended the Art College, but you clearly failed to learn any manners, and given your aggressive negativity, poor grammar, and use of puerile clichés, I doubt much creative output either.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I went there too, so be careful voicing your opinions as if they were shared by everyone. On a recent visit to the "new" building a large group of ex art college artists expressed these words: "Very nice, but where's the art college?"

My fear is that the UU, which has never really understood the function and practice of an art college, will take the opportunity to further diminish the practice of the fine arts in particular. That remains to be seen.

Meanwhile, your insults directed at me are just childish, and based on ignorance. You may have attended the Art College, but you clearly failed to learn any manners, and given your aggressive negativity, poor grammar, and use of puerile clichés, I doubt much creative output either.
Ho ho, same old tripe from SnailTroll.
I can't see anything in my post that could be construed as 'aggressively negative'. As for insults, in fact if you read my post properly you twit, you'll see that at no point do I reference your character at all – apart from admittedly venting my irritation at the ill-informed, opinionated bollocks that you spout in every post you make on this forum, perhaps you can point out to me where I have actually insulted you?

I should have known you'd be hyper-sensitive – most arrogant, sanctimonious, oh-so-morally superior types like you usually are. Apologies in advance for the insults to follow:

Taking issue with your reply, it seems it is you that has resorted to the very insults you claim has been directed at your fragile, sensitive person. Poor lamb, tut tut.
Let's see now: 'childish', 'ignorant', 'aggressively negative', 'no manners', 'peurile'... by referring to my gammar and my apparent 'creative output', it appears you're even trying to insult both my education and my intellect too, all in one post – my, you really were trying your hardest! Remarkably, it seems not only are you a hypocrite, you're actually quite stupid! I mean, is this meant to be some kind of a put-down? If so, it's a pretty poor attempt: a D minus – must try harder.

I suspect you're one of those people who can't argue their corner on any given point they make, because you really just don't know what you're talking about, do you – it's just your 'opinion', and you just can't accept that your opinion might just be, sorry is bollocks. Every time someone challenges you you disappear, only to return a few weeks later spouting the same repetitive nonsense, like a turd that won't flush. Either that or, as on this occasion, you resort to the tiresome "boo hoo the bad men called me names" response. How predictable.

Hehe, I'll tell you what you are son, you're just a fucking mouthpiece, that's all. A bullshitter. You're a joke.

If you really went to the art college, you'd know how inadequate the Orpheus was/is as an educational facility. I would imagine that providing students with the very best facilities and environment conducive to learning would be paramount, not have them stand outside admiring the fucking masonry along with nostalgic, misty-eyed alumni.

Saying that the Orpheus is "perfect as an art college, in sharp contrast to the rather corporate building across the new bridge" and then in the very next post say that the UU "which has never really understood the function and practice of an art college, will take the opportunity to further diminish the practice of the fine arts in particular", is just what it sounds like: complete contradictory nonsense – like, which is it, is it perfect or not? Try justifying your comments with reasoned argument instead of crying like a petulant child when someone takes issue with them and you might get a better response – though to be frank, I don't think you can. I think you're a WUM.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Ho ho, same old tripe from SnailTroll.
I can't see anything in my post that could be construed as 'aggressively negative'. As for insults, in fact if you read my post properly you twit, you'll see that at no point do I reference your character at all – apart from admittedly venting my irritation at the ill-informed, opinionated bollocks that you spout in every post you make on this forum, perhaps you can point out to me where I have actually insulted you?.........

Let's see - childish - "a turd that won't flush" ......that sums up your entire post, and your attitude. Shouting and ranting at me only diminishes you, as does your resorting to schoolyard insults. Why would you do that? What were you hoping to achieve?

Your post in very aggressive and directed at delivering a tirade of insults towards me. I am entitled to hold my views without you insulting me in such an angry tone. If I ever met you, I make sure that I keep my views to myself, as you can obviously not control yourself.

I only expressed my opinion of a building you know, and one that I happen to know a lot about, so kindly get a grip on yourself and calm down, unless it's you intention to somehow bully me into not making my contribution to this forum. If that's the case, then what's the point of having a forum where contrary views are expressed? Do you come here in order for every one to agree with you, and when they don't, or express some other thoughts, you undergo an explosion of rage. What does that say about you? If you only want people to agree with you, then get another moniker and start posting comments agreeing with that of your alter-ego.

At this point you should re-read the history of the posts on this subject, and tell me why you have over-reacted with such spitting venom? I'll sum it up for you. What I said was that it would be a pity to loose the Orpheus Building and that Obel would make a good halls of residence. Now you read again your response to that and tell me what I said that provoked such an over-reaction?

A simple apology will go a long way, and make you feel better. It can't be nice for you being so angry over something of so little consequence. It's quite damaging, and indicative of deep frustration. I hope your darkness soon passes.

·
Registered
331 Posts
handbags at dawn, flip sake lads give it a rest. This forum used to be an interesting and informative read - now its just descending into a personal slanging match! Pretty pathetic.

Anyway back to the building:

I really like all of the renders, although it would be a pity as others have said if the old ballroom or even the art deco solicitors office on the corner of Donegall Street were demolished. Also given what happened with the obel, i don't wanna get too exceited by renders!!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
You're right Andy of course – this forum used to be an interesting and informative read, until the appearance of one particular person. Thankfully things should improve now that I have discovered the joys of the ignore list.:banana: Brilliant!

·
22,106 Posts
You're right Andy of course – this forum used to be an interesting and informative read, until the appearance of one particular person. Thankfully things should improve now that I have discovered the joys of the ignore list.:banana: Brilliant!

Isn't it UTTERLY fabulous!

·
Registered
958 Posts
The Co-op was still functioning when I visited Belfast for the only time in 1990. York Street must have been an impressive thorofare before The Blitz, The Troubles and post-war re-development took their toll what with the Co-op buildings, Gallaghers (?) and the linen warehouses not to mention the fine railway terminal further up. I hope this development goes ahead as the street is a natural extension to Royal Avenue. I've searched the web for old photos but without much success.

·
Registered
757 Posts
UU are hosting an open night next week to showcase their plans for the Belfast site. I had a look online but I can't find a link and I can't remember the dates. The plans were in the Belfast Telegraph a day or two ago if anyone is interested in going.

·
Registered
792 Posts
UU are hosting an open night next week to showcase their plans for the Belfast site. I had a look online but I can't find a link and I can't remember the dates. The plans were in the Belfast Telegraph a day or two ago if anyone is interested in going.
Thanks for posting. I'll have to find the date and check it out.

41 - 60 of 533 Posts