SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ha ha

Some building(s) in town are meant to have light roofs on top that if there is a bomb inside the ceiling lifts into the air and falls back down in one piece. Allowing the force of the blast to escape upwards supposedly causes less damage to the insides. I always assumed the orange marble at the front of Central Station was intended to act as a barrier to bomb blasts.
Seriously? Ha ha. Who told you that nonsense?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Some building(s) in town are meant to have light roofs on top that if there is a bomb inside the ceiling lifts into the air and falls back down in one piece. Allowing the force of the blast to escape upwards supposedly causes less damage to the insides. I always assumed the orange marble at the front of Central Station was intended to act as a barrier to bomb blasts.
Would be doing the city a favour by levelling the whole building

·
22,016 Posts
They're closing a portion of the Lagan Walkway to allow for site prep work and construction. A minor inconvenience to someone like myself that walks the route every day but I'll get over it, be good to see work commence.

Timescales
Work is expected to start in summer 2014, subject to planning permission, and take two years to complete, with the new facilities open for business by summer 2016.

The additional facilities will be integrated within the existing building and located at the rear of the current venue, extending onto the walkway adjacent to the Hilton Hotel.

Belfast Waterfront will continue to operate as usual during the construction period.

The Lagan Walkway between Laganbank Road and Oxford Street, via Belfast Waterfront, will be closed from April 2014 until spring 2016. This is to allow initial works to begin on the new extension, ahead of the start of the main construction.

There are alternative routes, which are clearly marked on the walkway.

http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/business/regeneration/waterfrontextension.aspx

·
22,016 Posts
Massive coup for Belfast's conference sector. This is a major event, I attended the conference in Nantes last year and will be in Copenhagen for it this year and the numbers will be a massive boost for the local economy for 5 days.

Belfast's Waterfront Hall to host major European conference

Belfast will stage a major European conference in 2016, which organisers have said will be worth £2.3m to the local economy. The five-day event at the Waterfront Hall venue in 2016 will attract 1,200 delegates.

Belfast beat other UK cities to host the annual meeting of the European Federation of Animal Science. The conference involves experts in the field of animal science, welfare and nutrition.

The Waterfront Hall is soon to undergo a £29m expansion by Belfast City Council that will see its conference facilities double in size. Work is set to be completed in 2016.

The conference will be one of the first events to be held at the expanded Waterfront Hall venue.

The venue is to be showcased by the council in Frankfurt this month at a major exhibition for the conference trade.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
^^

Lol. I just checked, and the video i posted wasn't even the one i was intending to post; on the plus side it turned out to be more detailed than the one I had in mind!

The extension looks very impressive in the video; even the side adjacent to the river looks better than that initial render. Although the new entrance perhaps looks a little... cramped- i.e. you have to go into the regristration area before heading up the escalator whereupon the building opens out a bit more.

·
22,016 Posts
I'm very impressed by the facilities, adaptive space and overall plan. It's something we have needed in Belfast for years and thankfully we now have it. This will be a significant boost to our already successful conference offering.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Construction equipment is now on site. From what I could see from the train, it looks like site clearance has begun.

·
22,016 Posts
Belfast Waterfront Hall extension approved

A £29.5 million extension to Belfast's Waterfront Hall was officially given the green light by planners today. The development will double the size of the existing conference and exhibition facilities at the hall and offer an additional 4,000m² of conference, exhibition and banqueting space plus a 2000m² major hall and a minor hall of 750m².

Around 400 jobs will be created as the extension is built and dozens more after the complex opens.

Belfast City Council says the extension will contribute up to £39 million towards the local economy each year and help the city tap into the growing business tourism market.

It is expected the new building will be completed by early 2016 with the first major conference already pencilled in for late spring 2016.

Announcing the decision today, Environment Minister Mark H Durkan said: “This will be a real boost for Belfast. We already host major worldwide conferences. We can now build on that. “This extension to Belfast Waterfront will provide Belfast with an integrated conference/convention centre in the heart of the city.

“These state of the art facilities will make Belfast one of the premium destinations for national and international conferences and will boost the development of business tourism in Belfast and act as a catalyst for wider economic growth across the city.”

He added: “This planning application reflects my commitment to making planning approvals as quickly as possible, creating a better environment and a stronger economy. This decision will help that.”

Lord Mayor of Belfast Nichola Mallon said: “By doubling the existing convention and exhibition space at Belfast Waterfront, we can build upon what is already a huge growth area for our economy and showcase Belfast as a destination of choice for conference organisers and delegates.”

The additional facilities will be integrated within the existing building and located at the rear of the current venue, extending onto the walkway adjacent to the Hilton Hotel. The Waterfront Hall complex will continue to operate as usual during the construction period.

Funding for the extension is being provided by the European Regional Development Fund (£14.5million), under the European Sustainable Competitiveness Programme for Northern Ireland, and administered by the Northern Ireland Tourist Board, which is also contributing £4million.

Belfast City Council has committed the remaining £11million under its £150million Investment Programme, which has already delivered over £85million of improvements across the city.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Despite seeing the cool 3d visualization more than a few times over the year(s), the size is still surprising in real life

21 - 40 of 146 Posts