SkyscraperCity banner

81 - 100 of 146 Posts

·
22,116 Posts
That design, while superior aesthetically, didn't offer the space required as far as I recall. The design they accepted had the benefits of expansive rooms which is what conferences require, especially the largest.

All the curved frontage, while attractive, isn't exactly the best use of a very limited site. It also would have severed the walkway and cycle route judging by the RMI design.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Don't want to nitpick, but just to point out there's no a huge amount lost if you were to have at least curved the design they're going with; not a huge amount looking at the CGI angled view of it earlier in the thread; there already seems to be a fair amount of room inside to have taken a hit on a few hundred sq feet and it'd have of course looked a bit better

I wonder if they heard?
The coloured paneling was gone today...

(We can but wish; assume they're just cutting out the necessary holes for the windows)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Saw a thing about this on the news earlier. They were talking about how great a view visitors to the exhibition centre will get.

It's all well and good that people who come to Belfast for a few days will get a nice view, but did they not stop to think about the hundreds of thousands of us who live here and who have to look at the outside of the building day in day out?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
That's some quere* Photoshoping skills.... Unless they truly plan on draping some hitherto uninvented material (transparent aluminium?) it is NOT looking like that.... I mean... we can see with our own eyes *right now* it won't look like that.

*not sure how to type that very irish word

The spaces inside aren't bad, but highlights one aspect of the flythrough video that those great views are wasted on corridors and staircases, and the rooms themselves are left with little slits or windows here and there for peeks out onto the Lagan instead of proper grand panaramas of the river (and one day the glory of SIrocco)

·
Registered
2,891 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
The more it progresses............. the more horrible it becomes. This has turned what was an iconic building into exactly what it has been described..... a monstrosity.

Carbuncle cup winner for at least the next decade

·
Registered
36 Posts
Seems ignorant and short sighted of the politicians to accept this design. The Robinson McIlwaine design blended in beautifully. Perception is the reality for many people. When I was at Queens university, the amount of international students + students from scotland and england that said the big swing in choice for queens was the looks of the Lanyon building.

·
22,116 Posts
Seems ignorant and short sighted of the politicians to accept this design.
Politicians have no say in planning decision unless it's an application of significant economic impact and then the decision is made by the planning minster. They can make submissions like everyone else but their submissions carry no greater weight.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Yeah, their normal remit is to usually just receive weird lump sum deposits in off shore accounts after a massive propoerty sell off occurs... :p

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've watched this project from day one and the more it progressed the more I realised that its all about the internal space. They wanted to create a massive amount of conference space to attract the major economic growth in this sector for Belfast in combination with the extra hotel space in development in the city. The damage to the iconic appearance of the beautiful Waterfront Halls external facade has obviously never been a consideration by anyone involved.
I understand why they needed more space, that you have to live with in a budget and that the available space was limited but no one involved could be proud of how the extension has turned out. Inside it probably looks amazing I imagine but outside its horrendous and in such a significant location. My journey across queens bridge looking at that view will never be the . Same.

·
22,116 Posts
I've watched this project from day one and the more it progressed the more I realised that its all about the internal space. They wanted to create a massive amount of conference space to attract the major economic growth in this sector for Belfast in combination with the extra hotel space in development in the city. The damage to the iconic appearance of the beautiful Waterfront Halls external facade has obviously never been a consideration by anyone involved.
I understand why they needed more space, that you have to live with in a budget and that the available space was limited but no one involved could be proud of how the extension has turned out. Inside it probably looks amazing I imagine but outside its horrendous and in such a significant location. My journey across queens bridge looking at that view will never be the . Same.
Spot on

It's about attracting absolutely massive conferences and that's what they are doing, there are some pretty huge events planned for that new space over the coming years.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
When I first saw it last week I thought it was terrible but after a couple of minutes it started to grow on me a bit, particularly from the Chichester Street aspect. Could be much, much better though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do we know what lighting will be used on the waterfront?

Currently the window surrounds are being uplit by coloured lights that change, similar to the new lagan wier footbridge lighting colours, currently the windows don't change in sync but hopefully this isnt it finished.

Do we know how the rest of the building will be lit?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Appallingly?

Seeing as I walked by it at night with the interior lights on, and there wasn't any 'glowing' through the walls to the outside (which would have helped make it at least seem more 'alive') it'll have to be exterior spots. It may just be those coloured lights as by this stage all exterior fixtures I'd imagine would have been fitted(?)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Appallingly?

Seeing as I walked by it at night with the interior lights on, and there wasn't any 'glowing' through the walls to the outside (which would have helped make it at least seem more 'alive') it'll have to be exterior spots. It may just be those coloured lights as by this stage all exterior fixtures I'd imagine would have been fitted(?)
Ha, I do worry! It's like an abandoned warehouse with a couple of Christmas lights left on. Don't seem to be doing much more on the outside but maybe spotlights are to be added on the ground.

81 - 100 of 146 Posts