SkyscraperCity banner

101 - 120 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
So I think I/we missed this in the pictures but... walked down there today idly and noticed with horror that they really do seem to have dedicated the massive sweeping vista over the Lagan and Belfast... to a fire escape stairwell, that wouldn't look out of place in an old school block.

The view is criss crossed with internal girders.

The only access is on the extreme left of the balcony, a door at the end of a long thing hallway which runs along the side looking out onto the Lagan through those square windows which sit out a little along its longest side.

I mean, looking at aaron's post above it's obvious now, but it was a surprise nonetheless. Can't believe they wasted that space. Ulster University did it so much better (still have to post my pics from last year's Open House!) by not wasting the view on a stairwell....
they really connected the inner space with the opportunity to bring in light and a view.

I was expecting it to be one end of both floors' open halls/spaces.
Don't think this was on the 3d tour video either but will have to check

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
REALLY hope it is part of the Open House festival this year - would be fascinated to see the interior, work out how it's arranged compared to the exterior (And the rather hopefully CG visualisation) and see how the balconies on the pointy end (TM) look and feel given the ma-hoo-sive own goal in not making the space behind them connected and instead a girder-riven stairwell... Somewhere I'm hoping a junior architect is getting a D on his coursework for that one

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Was walking by it today with a friend.

He described it as looking like a polytechnic.

{I took a pic which I'll add - the bits over the doors manage to somehow look aged and 80s despite only being installed a week ago. Fabulous!}

·
22,162 Posts
You can tell the exterior has been done on the tightest possible margin, a shame really.

I'm at a conference there in August so I'll get a feel for the interior while there, judging by what I have seen it does seem to serve that role very well. I suppose visitors don't really care too much about what it looks like on the outside as long as it does the job inside. Lost opportunity though.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
The Waterfront extension is like sticking an extension on Titanic Belfast..
I get the need for extra conferencing facilities but somewhere an architect is :bash:

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
In fairness, he was only talking about the availability of practice tables, not intimating that the whole centre is a dump.

Also, interestingly in the same article, Ronnie O'Sullivan says he preferred the tent, where it was held last year, as there was a better atmosphere. I went to the tournament once when it was first held at the Waterfront years ago, and the venue was far too big for it. Not surprised it's quiet.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I don't know, it's function is very good from all accounts, and it is regularly hosting events including the Milk conference which had some random protestors outside which was very cosmopolitan for Belfast!

It remains a terrible design and they could have gotten the same amazing conference space with a stunning exterior. Never got over them wasting a signature element - the angled balconies - for a stairwell instead of small conference rooms. Would have give amazing views towards the Lough and Belfast's growing skyline.

Ultimately this is exactly what developers of bad projects hope - we learn to love it over time - I understand that is sometimes valid tho. Especially if the design is ahead of its time or pushing an envelope - sadly the extension does neither

Also here's an old photo by way of comparison (quite why old Me didn't walk over to that blue bridge to get an unimpeded shot I'll never know!)

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I can't imagine anyone will learn to love the outside of this. It will forever be a monstrosity. I guess when you are attending a conference, inside making use of the excellent facilities and then jetting off, how it looks doesn't matter. Just us locals who are stuck with it!

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Grim, totally grim. Probably not helped by the grim skies tho.

Would love to see the Hilton modernised with more river frontage and obviously the Waterfront extension tore down and rebuilt :lol:

Some of the cladding panels look to be dented already...

101 - 120 of 146 Posts