SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been living in Pisa (check out this thread) for the last 8 months, during which I managed to get a few chances to travel around the region. I'll try to share some of my photos here. Not all of them will be urban, but I hope that's alright.

I'll start with...

Firenze (Florence)

1. Santa Maria Novella church near the main train station. In the adjacent square there is often a food market where local and non-local products are sold.

2. Like in most Italian cities, the most popular means of transport. Even though the centre of Firenze is restricted to traffic, these guys seem to be able to get anywhere :)

3. The interior of Strozzi palace.

5. Piazza della Signoria

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
6. The main building of the square - Palazzo Vecchio

7. The inner yard

8. A cinquecento ready for a wedding

9. Gold stalls on Ponte Vecchio (The Old Bridge).

10. The defensive wall on the other side of river Arno. This bit of the city is a lot less densely built up. It's dominated by large villas and beautiul gardens.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
11. The view East from Piazza Michelangelo. This is the main viewpoint in the city with beautiful views of city centre. But they will come later :)

12. The familliar sight of Ponte Vecchio

13. A 500 Abarth. Must be loads of fun on twisty Tuscan roads :)

14. Sculptures near Palazzo Vecchio

15. Next to the Uffizi gallery. It is one of the most famous museums in the world, housing works of Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, Rembrandt and others. I have yet to visit it (from what I have been told, the waiting times are enormous during the tourist season, so might have to do it some time in winter :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
26. River Arno with Ponte Vecchio in the distance.

27. The view towards the other direction.

29. So, I decided to come up to Piazza Michelangelo again, to enjoy the panorama during the blue hour. The cars take this twisty road to get up to the piazza.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
31. The views from Piazza Michelangelo. The same wall as seen in photo #10.

33. The panorama of the city.

34. The main buildings of the city are lit very well and look fantastic from this spot.

35. South bank of river Arno.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

37. Ponte Vecchio once again

38. A kiosk selling snacks and drinks. In Italy, as in most of central and southern Europe, it is legal to consume alcohol in public places, therefore many of the people were enjoying the view with a cold bottle of Birra Moretti :)

·
Out of Control
939 Posts
Timeless Beauty! Thanks for sharing.

·
'tou na lua...
41,757 Posts
Beautiful city, all full of history and arts all around. I love Ponte Vecchio by night and the view from Pza. Michelangelo.
But so far, my favourite city in Toscana is Siena :)

·
No pasaràn
7,297 Posts
Beautiful city, all full of history and arts all around. I love Ponte Vecchio by night and the view from Pza. Michelangelo.
But so far, my favourite city in Toscana is Siena :)
Siena is a town, great for tourism but booooring. But they have two important teams in football and basket thanks to their bank but now it's in big trouble.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts