Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Bellevue Straits project has been renamed to Terraline per the design review application. It'll consist of two 500k sq foot office towers and 15k square feet of retail.

The design looks like a shorter version of Rainier Square in Seattle. I'm not sure how I feel about them but they are definitely unique compared to the existing skyline. The brown/orange-ish color compliments the city hall facade across the street.

Something I found disappointing is that in earlier materials they had mentioned there would be a nice pedestrian connection from 112th to the future 405 lid park as part of the Grand Connection but I don't see anything of that nature in this rendering. Hopefully that does not imply the lid is scrapped.

They are targeting a late 2022 groundbreaking and 2025 occupancy.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Something I found disappointing is that in earlier materials they had mentioned there would be a nice pedestrian connection from 112th to the future 405 lid park but I don't see anything of that nature in this rendering. Hopefully that does not imply the lid is scrapped.
Bellevue has some self-imposed constraints that mean the lid should happen. But a lot of the "old Bellevue" interests, the Chamber of Commerce folks, aren't all that interested in seeing the lid come to pass.

They clearly need a pedestrian connection across I-405. They would have to actively kill the lid and go back to one of the bridges if they were to change that plan. And the city wants park land within a third mile of every residence. The lid covers a lot of ground for that requirement.

But if ever there were a city that lacks bold vision, this one might be it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The development itself looks quite nice, and a huge improvement on the current situation. Shame about the asphalt desert surrounding it. Wouldn't the noise be deafening?

·
Registered
458 Posts
The development itself looks quite nice, and a huge improvement on the current situation. Shame about the asphalt desert surrounding it. Wouldn't the noise be deafening?
An office building like that can be surprisingly well isolated from freeway sound. Some of T-Mobile’s Factoria offices are so close to the 90 you can sit and watch the traffic zoom by, and it’s not silent but pretty much whisper quiet. The convention center in Seattle is even closer, and I can’t ever remember being aware of the traffic there.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Was this always planned to be a 400 footer? I don’t think any of the other buildings planned between 112th and 405 are that tall, so this will really stand out.

It’s hard to tell from the angle, but I presume the east-west space between the towers is plenty big enough for the Grand Connection park (isn’t the route now set in city code?) and designed with the idea of being a grand pedestrian entrance to downtown. We need more pictures!

·
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was this always planned to be a 400 footer? I don’t think any of the other buildings planned between 112th and 405 are that tall, so this will really stand out.

It’s hard to tell from the angle, but I presume the east-west space between the towers is plenty big enough for the Grand Connection park (isn’t the route now set in city code?) and designed with the idea of being a grand pedestrian entrance to downtown. We need more pictures!
I believe so. This site has a higher height limit than the other sites in the OLB zone since it's closer to the city center. South of NE 4th the height limit drops to 250 feet I believe.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It does not look like construction will start anytime soon. Two of building, which were only recently used by Sound Transit as staging area, have big "for lease" signs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Bellevue Straits project has been renamed to Terraline per the design review application. It'll consist of two 500k sq foot office towers and 15k square feet of retail.

The design looks like a shorter version of Rainier Square in Seattle. I'm not sure how I feel about them but they are definitely unique compared to the existing skyline. The brown/orange-ish color compliments the city hall facade across the street.

Something I found disappointing is that in earlier materials they had mentioned there would be a nice pedestrian connection from 112th to the future 405 lid park as part of the Grand Connection but I don't see anything of that nature in this rendering. Hopefully that does not imply the lid is scrapped.

They are targeting a late 2022 groundbreaking and 2025 occupancy.
View attachment 2435989
👍🏻👌🏻

·
Registered
458 Posts
I wonder what inspired the new brand. Terror Line seems like a memorable name for a location next to the light rail spine and across the road from the busiest station, but maybe not for the right reasons.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bellevue has some self-imposed constraints that mean the lid should happen. But a lot of the "old Bellevue" interests, the Chamber of Commerce folks, aren't all that interested in seeing the lid come to pass.

They clearly need a pedestrian connection across I-405. They would have to actively kill the lid and go back to one of the bridges if they were to change that plan. And the city wants park land within a third mile of every residence. The lid covers a lot of ground for that requirement.

But if ever there were a city that lacks bold vision, this one might be it.
That lid would transform the area. The idea you could safely walk/bike over 405 would make the area a great live/work area if you can afford it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts