SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What happened to the bayview tower in bellingham? anyone know? there was another tower propsal but i havent hears anything for a long time. these projects dead? i thought bayview was so close to construction...?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The bellingham hearld reported that all the deposits were refunded. so i would say its dead. I was hoping this tower would be the first of many. maybe when construction gets going on the new waterfront development will see something happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I believe the other tower your talking about is 1010 morse square(19stories) for the last 3 years they have been saying construction will start in the summer!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well, I guess people weren't prepared to pay Seattle prices to live in Bellingham. Who could afford to live there? Professors from Western Washington University? Please. They targeted people with money ready to downsize and retire but in reality, that building in that neighborhood and in that city just doesn't fit that profile. Not to my mind.

So from what I understand, the parties that initiated the project attempted to sell it but really found no one willing to take the chance. I'm not entirely certain they were prepared to see it through without either taking on a well-financed partner or selling the project completely.

·
逍遥法外
721 Posts
Too bad about this. Bellingham's "skyline" hasn't changed since about 1910 or so. It could have really used the boost.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Too bad about this. Bellingham's "skyline" hasn't changed since about 1910 or so. It could have really used the boost.
They need to move their population up to Blaine.

The Canadian siphoning economy needs to be moved closer to the border, since gas prices have become too high for casual cross-border shoppers to make the trip all the way to Bellingham.

·
逍遥法外
721 Posts
^
Or we could revert back to using horses...or japanese jetpacks.

·
exiled New Yorker
204 Posts
I just spent 4 months living in Bellingham, and word on the street is that the construction costs for both the Bayview Tower and 1010 Morse Square exceed the expected profit from selling the units. Basically like Joe Hardhat said, people don't want to pay Seattle prices to live in B'ham. They are building a number of low rise developments and adding greater density to the downtown area. Its a shame because Bellingham has so much potential.

·
Registered
15,260 Posts
Okay so one thing that I'm realliy noticing on density. I've been travelling to London on business a lot lately, and there is a city with great density. However, they aren't crowded with a bunch of towers, a lot of buildings in the 6 floor range. I think that you'll get over all more livable density in a place like Bellingham with quality midrise construction.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think that they took the wrong approach. Rather than looking to build a luxury condo tower for wealthy retirees, I think the first successful Bellingham will be more closely tied to cross-border trade--perhaps some shopping tied with hotel space and corporate condos or office space. Add space that allows companies doing business in Canada and the US to have space that is geographically more desirable than Seattle / Bellevue, and takes advantage of the exchange rate and taxation differences between the US and Canada. Maybe a whole block and multiple smaller structures (10-12 levels).

·
Journeyman
16,787 Posts
For residential, the midrise approach has tons of potential. Bellingham has plenty of buildable downtown lots and land prices aren't the factor they are in Seattle. Woodframe is always much cheaper to build, and that's all the more true with the fall of the sprawl industry nationwide.

·
Northwest Photo King
2,212 Posts
Bellingham has heaps of potential for more mid-rise growth in the downtown district, whether some office space mixed with residential and commercial. There is are many possibilities for the city. Become the hub, and attract people away from Vancouver, and to Bellingham. I know that is extreme, but we can have two great hubs. Bellingham's airport continues to grow to this day. More commercial flights now too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Unfortunately there is still sprawl being built in Bellingham. However this is a new project planned near the CBD:

http://www.oldtownurbanliving.com/

I like it.
Please don't tell me I'm the only one who thinks that "oldtown urban living" project is a total abomination. It's a fine example of big Seattle developers coming in and building whatever, wherever without any consideration for a neighbourhood's history or character. That project would completely ruin Oldtown with yuppie, decrepit residents complaining of noise and smelly hobos on their streets. HOBOS ARE BELLINGHAM!!

More seriously, I see Barkley Village as a much more viable location for high-income housing. Frankly, it fits all the requirements and was designed exactly for these "urban villages" or whatever old hipsters wanna call them these days. Fairhaven fits nicely with the quiant "old towne" living much better too.

Clearly though downtown Bellingham could use more development, but think about what makes downtown so great - is it the buildings or the people? Recent low rise projects like Kateri Court on Chestnut target WWU students and young families - the kind of people most likely to keep Downtown as awesome as it is - and that's what we need. Not enough time or money is spent on building quality, affordable housing for the average person and then we get nasty looking sprawl, aka South Seattle.

My friend lives downtown at a very affordable price and little is cooler than being able to barhop, eat cheese fries at the Horseshoe, sing with the hobos, and stumble back drunk at 4AM all within a few blocks. Million dollar condos would completely change all that. This is exactly what's happening in Capitol Hill as we speak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So you're against a whole income group? Sounds pretty elitist and exclusionary.
Oh Jesus, I did not say I was against the whole income group.

What I said was, Bellingham's downtown does not cater at all to the million dollar condo demographic, and for good reason. Because drunken college kids and hobos own the downtown core at all hours. In my opinion, that's what makes it cool.

The fact is, most city centres are too expensive for the average person and that's because they're pushed out by condos that make no consideration for neighbourhood impact. That happens just about everywhere and it sucks. Some though would call it progress, I guess it's all subjective.

Anyway, have you seen Old Town Bellingham lately? I can think of a million better places to buy a condo for a million dollars, and that includes Barkley Village and especially Fairhaven.

Once a steady population of middle-income residents have settled in the area (no, that hasn't happened yet, not at all) then some higher income apartments would be a natural fit. City Centres should have room for all income groups to coinhabit, but you need to start in the lower middle. Downtown Bellingham has a lot more growing room before 20 story condos will have a place, and by that time I hope there are still places a WWU student can afford.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts