SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by that map of urbanisation in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire from thompski in the 'Skybar', since it includes Belper, my hometown and since we've been having a bit of a 'might-have-been' thing going on in the Derby projects 'sticky', this brings to mind a great local 'might-have-been' from the early part of the twentieth century, according to something I saw at a Belper Historical Society exhibition last summer (or was it the summer before?)

There were seriously plans to extend King Street all the way across the River Derwent up to near my place on the Chevin. This would have been the nucleus for a new part of the town spreading right to Hazelwood, which would have meant that what is now substantially green fields would have been largely built up. At that King Street would have been one of the longest shopping streets in the country.

As it happens, the town has spread out, but in the diametrically opposite direction.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Would it have brought Derby and Nottingham closer together then?
I'm not sure if it'd have had any impact on that directly, but there'd have been a sizeable settlement more to the north and west than to the north and east of Derby, which would have meant that what was to become the A38 corridor would have been of less significance, relatively speaking.

If Duffield had crept up Hazelwood Road and Hazelwood Hill to join up with the second nucleus, instead of being the leafy dormitory that it has become it might have become a more industrial settlement, the likes of Allestree and Darley Abbey likewise.

What is now the Cathedral Quarter may also have become a more bustling end of the City Centre and Derby may have had its major shopping mall eventually built there.

In gravitational terms it may actually have had the effect of 'pulling' Derby AWAY from Nottingham.

·
Registered
661 Posts
We seem to be getting plenty of suburban development in the south of Derby, Chellaston has seen 3000 homes built in 25 years, Oakwood was the largest estate of its kind when built in the 80s/90s, Stenson Field's, Boulton Moor and Heatherton are new areas which are being doubled in size whilst Amber Valley have been kind enough to propose a 900 home estate near Mackworth to the Northwest of Derby.

Suburban sprawl isn't dead just yet in the UK, apart from Nimby dominated Allestree, who are moaning about the garden grabbers.

From what you say Curves_Man i'm guessing this was part of the 1920s/1930s expansion of Derby which saw the construction of the Arterial Road and bay windowed semi's which we all know and love! I always thought Derby was too bottom heavy, from the centre of Derby to the edge its five miles to the south and two miles to the north!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We seem to be getting plenty of suburban development in the south of Derby, Chellaston has seen 3000 homes built in 25 years, Oakwood was the largest estate of its kind when built in the 80s/90s, Stenson Field's, Boulton Moor and Heatherton are new areas which are being doubled in size whilst Amber Valley have been kind enough to propose a 900 home estate near Mackworth to the Northwest of Derby.

Suburban sprawl isn't dead just yet in the UK, apart from Nimby dominated Allestree, who are moaning about the garden grabbers.

From what you say Curves_Man i'm guessing this was part of the 1920s/1930s expansion of Derby which saw the construction of the Arterial Road and bay windowed semi's which we all know and love! I always thought Derby was too bottom heavy, from the centre of Derby to the edge its five miles to the south and two miles to the north!
Actually it dated from BEFORE WWI (and before the East Mill was built). This would have been before many of the houses along Chevin Road were themselves built. The junction of Chevin Road and King Street would have been a major shopping location and probably Chevin Road would have become a retailing-based thoroughfare itself instead of a residential country road.

Reflecting your remarks about Chellaston, by way of a 'what-may-be-to-come', I've long been wondering, as one with relatives Melbourne way (we're the 'northern outpost'!), how long it's going to be before Derby becomes a city on the Trent as well as the Derwent, unless that'd contravene the Green Belt. There's only a matter of a few hundred yards to go. It could have a whole new (southwards-facing) riverfront at Swarkestone.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Alot of the land in Swarkestone is farm land. Chellaston and Swarkestone are segregated by means of the A50 and a huge roundabout junction. South Derbyshire County Council don't have plans for any large scale development in Swarkestone, perhaps to do with it flooding two or three times in the past few years (the water reaching my Aunts house for the first time in the early 2000s I believe).

The current 1500 home estate nearing completion in West Chellaston is the last to be built I believe, though there is talk of a small developments of housing to the south east and north east of the village as well as a large business park to the West near Rolls Royce.

South Derbyshire seems to be focussing on development to the Western side of the city at Heatherton and Stenson Fields, however if the land comes available who knows what's to stop them building a new suburb at Swarkestone?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope they keep it as the prime agricultural land that it is, despite being intrigued by the prospect of another riverfront in Derby.

To take matters back to the relevant subject, looking at the spot where the extended King Street would probably have crossed the Derwent there would have had to have been a sharpish veer left up the hillside to join up with Chevin Road otherwise it'd have been quite a prohibitively steep gradient.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts