SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
76,955 Posts
bendigos a great town. love the gold rush bldgs. the Sacred heart cathedral is exquisite! cheers

·
Mainland Sea & Sky
6,242 Posts
Bendigo looks beautiful enough !

·
Gosford/Sydney.
1,642 Posts
Top pics.Some of the best public buildings in Australia.

Do any commuters ride that tram? or is it just for tourists?

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Looks amazing. Have never been there :embaressed:

BTW What is this? Looks almost as big, if not as big as the NSW Art Gallery. Major difference being this is of corinthian order, the latter being of ionic.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Kushantaiidan said:
Nice.. One day someone should post some nice pics of my town, Ballarat! If only I had a digital camera!
I get to Ballarat quite a bit through the year, I'll endeavor to oblige.

:cheers:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Muse said:
Looks amazing. Have never been there :embaressed:

BTW What is this? Looks almost as big, if not as big as the NSW Art Gallery. Major difference being this is of corinthian order, the latter being of ionic.

The Bendigo Art Gallery was originally the local Masonic Temple.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Dilaz89 said:
Great pics!

Are those trams operational or just a tourist gimmock?
Bendigo, Ballarat and Geelong each had extensive tram systems. Bendigo and Ballarat ceased commuter tram operations in 1971 as they were being run by the SEC (State Electricity Commission). There was conflict over who was responsible for road and track maintenance between the SEC and local councils. The SEC forced the closure of the tram systems by refusing to install traffic lights and upgrading of street lighting on main roads in these two cities until work was completed by the councils on road upgrades and tramline removal. Ballarat had 15km of tram track and Bendigo 9km.

Today Bendigo runs 3.5 km of tram track through it's main Avenue (Pall Mall) whish feature trams with recorded comentary for tourists. Ballarat runs 2km of preserved tramline in it's gardens as well as a tramway museum featuring 15 historical trams (Most are over 75 years old) for tourists.

Links:
Bendigo Tramways
Ballarat Tramway Museum

·
Registered
730 Posts
Great photos, whats the building in the last photo of part one? that building is amazing and grand. Love the architecture of the buildings in the fourth pic in part two I always thought Austalia was all shiny and modern, glad to see it isn't. Bendingo looks like a treasure.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Great photos, whats the building in the last photo of part one? that building is amazing and grand. Love the architecture of the buildings in the fourth pic in part two I always thought Austalia was all shiny and modern, glad to see it isn't. Bendingo looks like a treasure.
The Shamrock Hotel, we stayed there last time I visited Bendigo. :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts