SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 13397 Posts

·
0821- City of Palaces!
35,118 Posts
This will probably sound stupid but i hadn't heard of BBMP elections before so i didn't vote thinking it wasn't a big deal.
BBMP is by the most prestigious Elections where tall leaders of BJP,Cong,JD(S) lock their horns....
BTW which ward does ur place come under hednist??/ Lets see if u got BJP or a cong representative............ :D

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I am seing the change which Bangalore has been through the last four years and several govts. First it was non govt, then it was Kumaraswamy and then BJP with BSY at the helm.

I still remember the broken roads and construction waste dumped by the side of in even major roads in 2006.

Now I see roads being widened, tarred, painted, central medians being planted with trees, had a revolution regarding buses, all interior roads tarred, new bus shelters and stands made, high mast lamps erected in all major junctions, Metro work being speeded up, Underpasses/flyovers being constructed etc etc..

Way to go BSY and BJP amidst little problems within.

Bharat Mata Ki Jai!!

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
I am seing the change which Bangalore has been through the last four years and several govts. First it was non govt, then it was Kumaraswamy and then BJP with BSY at the helm.

I still remember the broken roads and construction waste dumped by the side of in even major roads in 2006.

Now I see roads being widened, tarred, painted, central medians being planted with trees, had a revolution regarding buses, all interior roads tarred, new bus shelters and stands made, high mast lamps erected in all major junctions, Metro work being speeded up, Underpasses/flyovers being constructed etc etc..

Way to go BSY and BJP amidst little problems within.

Bharat Mata Ki Jai!!
:cheers:

·
Away
406 Posts
How can you say you hadn't heard of it? There was tremendous campaigning activity this year, it's your duty to vote.
I said I hadn't heard of BBMP elections "before" so i didnt vote.Yes there was a lot of campaigning.I just didnt think it was that important.I'll definitely vote the next time.:cheers:

·
2,712 Posts
I wish this were true in the areas where I know. There are numerous new Developments that have come up around Bluru, some not properly done due to unscrupulous developers. Nevertheless, people bought the properties and have moved in paying property tax. The roads are yet to tarred, these roads are still dirt roads. There is litigation between the developer and the Dev Gowda Halli owners of the land sold to developers. Some are brain dead lawsuits, with politicians interjecting themselves in the middle of the fracas demanding bribe payoffs. These areas are under frequent electricity outages, water supply is intermittent, roads are a nightmare during torrential rains, the sewer system from the nearby halli causes unsanitary conditions, nothing is done for ages. Time for the city of Bluru to address all areas uniformly and come up with a plan to beef up infrastructure programs. All of them pay taxes and it behooves the city to systematically address all urban infrastructure needs, roads, lighting, drainage, electricity, phone/internet lines, sewage and litigation. Everywhere these items are an afterthought, when they should be done upfront prior to development of homes, buildings.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Regarding the power situation in the state

The state government needs to ensure that atleast existing power generation within the state is supplied to the state grid, that too at this time:

http://expressbuzz.com/cities/chennai/karnataka-restrained-from-stopping-power-to-tn/163550.html

The Madras High Court has restrained the Southern Region Load Despatch Centre (SRLDC) in Bangalore, a statutory body established under the Electricity Act, 2003, from cancelling or curtailing supply of RTC (round the clock) power of 300 MW up to the month of May, 2010, to the TNEB. Justice R Sudhakar granted the injunction on Wednesday while passing interim orders on a writ petition from TNEB praying for a direction to the SRLDC and a private electricity trader JSW Power Trading Company Limited in New Delhi to continue to supply the power till the end of May, 2010 to the TNEB by way of inter-state transmission through inter-state open access from the JSW IPP located in Karnataka State in terms of the approvals dated March 5 and 24, 2010 granted by the SRLDC.

According to TNEB, it entered into a contract with JSW Power Trading Company for supply of RTC power from January to May, 2010. It issued a letter of acceptance on January 29, 2010 for supply of 300 MW of RTC power for February at the rate of Rs. 4.16 per Kwh. Similarly on January 31, the Board issued letters of acceptance to the company for supply of 275 MW for March at the rate of Rs. 4.94 per Kwh and for supply of 300 MW each at the rate of Rs. 5.24 per Kwh for April and May. The source of power, as mentioned by the company, was JSWLL-IPP in Karnataka in the Southern region falling within the jurisdiction of SRLDC.

The SRLDC had also accorded the approval for the supply of power sourced from CPPs/IPPs of Karnataka State to the Board through the company. The charges for the inter-state transmission of electricity for the period up to May had already been reimbursed by the Board in advance. And the company had been supplying the power as committed till date without any breach and the petitioner Board had been regularly making the payments. While so, the Karnataka Power Transmission Corporation Limited issued a letter dated April 5, 2010 to the company, directing it to sell the power generated by it to the Karnataka grid with immediate effect and to withdraw the open access transaction granted to the TNEB for April and May until further orders in view of power shortage in Karnataka. The SRLDC, by a fax message issued about 7.30 p m on April 6, informed the TNEB that the power would not be supplied from April 9 to May 31. Contending that the Board would face acute power shortage to the extent of 300 MW and the same would result in further deteriorating the power position in TN, the Board moved the Madras High Court with the present writ petition.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Another post on the power situation

http://expressbuzz.com/cities/bangalore/power-crisis-created-to-buy-from-outside-fkcci/162650.html

The Federation of Karnataka Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FKCCI) has alleged that the power crisis in the state has been “artificially” created to make way for buying power from private producers.

In a petition submitted before the Karnataka Electricity Regulatory Board (KERC), the FKCCI has stated that the Karnataka Power Corporation’s (KPCL) power output was deliberately hampered to buy power from outside.

The federation’s argument is based on extracts from official meetings of the Southern Regional Power Committee, the administrative wing of the Centre for regulating regional electricity transfers.

In one of the meetings of the committee held in February this year, the KPCL stated its Raichur Thermal Power Plant had generated 73 million units more than the target of 920 million units. Likewise, the Yelahanka Diesel Generation station had produced 16.7 million additional units, the target being 24 million units. It was achieved despite “forced outages and backing down of thermal generation”, said KPCL.

For March, the government had announced to buy 1,000 MW at a cost of Rs 323 crore while another 750 MW will be bought in April.

The Power Company of Karnataka Ltd has also floated tenders inviting bids for purchase of power till August.

The federation has requested the power watchdog to order a probe into the issue.

THE government’s plan to purchase power from private players may not be the ultimate solution to meet the power crisis in the state.

As even private producers have failed to provide power as per the power purchase agreement.

Bangalore Electricity Supply Company, Technical Director, H Nagesh told Express that power cuts in the city lately were because of the failure to power from the various sources.

“Private producers have not been able to provide power as agreed because even they are facing a shortage,” said Nagesh.

They provided 540 MW of power in March when the government had said it would buy around 1,000 MW from them.

He said the Raichur Thermal Power Station was facing technical problems. “The RTPS unit 7 and 8 have technical problems and one more unit is not working at all,” he said.

This has caused a shortage of around 120 MW.

To add to the burgeoning power crisis, Karnataka is not getting its share from the Central power grid. “We are not getting our share from the Central power grid and in such a situation, it becomes difficult to meet the demands,” Nagesh said.

While Karnataka should get 1,543 MW from the Central grid, it is getting only 800 MW.

The state is expecting to garner around 600 MW from private producers.

·
2,712 Posts
The K Gov Power Situation is not a new problem. Every year they are facing shortage and with demand growing the problems are becoming acute as the days go by. By far, the Indian Power sector has been very dismal in efficiency and performance. There is no forward planning and all the plans are slipping in schedules. There needs to be a visionary leader who takes action. Every sector in Power generation is performing poorly whether it be hydel, coal, gas, nuclear or others. All the plans are seat of pants style of planning. If there is a demand created then the plants are built not the other way as is the norm elsewhere. Adding to this failure is the giveaways by the Dev Gowda types for farmers. There is also the euphemistic "loss" in power due to theft and illegal connections.

I think the best way forward is a federated approach to power. Each district / taluk creates their own power from Solar or Wind. Day time operations should be covered by Solar entirely. Small plants say size of 10 MW each throughout the state would make a difference. All new construction should henceforth provide their own solar power and/or wind. There is a complex in Bluru called TZed that has implemented their own power. They also process their own waste for a near total zero footprint for living. More such units need to be encouraged. Making all buildings/dwellings near self sufficient is the way forward. Depending on the Govt for any service is a hopeless task.

Indian civil nuclear plants need to be hastened.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Five from U.P.detained in connection with Bangalore blasts

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bangalore/Five-detained-in-connection-with-Bangalore-blasts/articleshow/5840456.cms

HUBLI/BANGALORE: Five persons from UP have been detained in connection with last week's twin bomb blasts outside the Chinnaswamy Stadium ahead of an IPL match.

Police said all the five hail from Uttar Pradesh and were picked up on Tuesday from a hotel where they were staying.

They have been taken to an undisclosed location in Dharwad for further interrogation, sources said.

The Bangalore city crime branch team is probing the low-intensity blasts on April 17, which left 17 injured,

41 - 60 of 13397 Posts