Skyscraper City Forum banner
42881 - 42900 of 46568 Posts

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
^considering it as an airport line and it reaching/linking all the tech parks I assumed ORR line as the most important wrt impact it has on vehicular traffic until Carmalaram-Hudson-Hebbal line comes up.
Airport line is not a priority, line reaching /linking tech parks is also not a priority over other trunk lines, especially since these IT areas have proved to be much more car dependent than public transport dependent.
And the impact ORR line has on vehicular traffic may be surprisingly minimal.
Carmelaram-Hudson-Hebbal line may never come up either.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Why is ORR the most important line? Just stop the metro trains that are running now on purple & green lines & you will realize to which areas it is most important - like congested old areas of City mkt, Chikpet, Majestic etc..

At least, ORR is very wide but if cars usurp most of the space, its their choice to live in jams & atrocious traffic. Wonder how many will actually shift to metro when it gets built on ORR.
ORR line is important only to those that will shift to metro when it opens, not for car riders that hope metro will free up roads for them. And probably most car riders will not shift to metro anyways.
And BTW, traffic on Tumkur road & Mysore road is equally horrible, if not worse than ORR. The only difference is that the proportion of cars is smaller. So, metro on those roads is far more important than metro on ORR since people have demonstrated for years that they will use metro (& have been using buses from long back). This is suspect for ORR, judging by the number of empty buses & huge number of private vehicles on ORR.

I know this doesn't sound very encouraging to those that are looking forward to using ORR metro, but its a point to ponder over.

I don't get the "empty buses" trope being repeated again and again, when I have been traversing Marathalli-SB for 4 years now, and at peak times, it is difficult to even get inside AC buses (or non-ac), forget about seats.
Infact, most employees in my office, and so are my friends would be more than happy to shift to Metro - a lot of them use motorbikes (unsafe) or cars (because AC because the entire stretch is very dusty). The biggest complaint is not "I want my car because I bought it" but "I want AC and traffic jam immune mode of transport that saves time even if I have to stand throughout the journey". And most of them (including me) would pay for than BMTC fares to avail Metro happily.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
'33 religious places acquired for Phase 2 of Bengaluru Metro'

Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Ltd. (BMRCL) on Monday said religious places are acquired for the Metro project only when it inevitable.

“For Phase 2 work, 33 religious places — 30 temples, two churches and one mosque — were acquired,” said BMRCL senior manager (public relations) TL Ravi Prakash.

Responding to protests staged by the All Saints Church for nearly 300 days, BMRCL said there won’t be any damage to the church due to construction activities.

“Metro alignment on Hosur Road is 36m away from the All Saints Church building and does not pass below it. An open area of 1,140 sqm with a few trees in front of the church building is needed for construction of the underground Metro station,” he said.

He said area required in vacant land on a temporary basis for a period of three years and number of trees to be cleared only 26. "There will not be any damage to church structure by Metro construction activities. One of such work was that of Cubbon park underground Metro station which was constructed at a distance of just 3m from more than 100 years old CTO building without causing any damage" the release adds adds.

Mirror Report:

The officials, however, have not been successful in acquiring a portion of All Saints Church as the members of parish approached European Investment Bank, which is a major financier for the Metro project, for mediation. While the members of the church are against parting with even an inch of the century-old church premises, the BMRCL has maintained that it will not cause much damage to the church.

The approach to the church from Hosur Road will remain intact during the Metro construction. The open area required for Metro construction is small compared to the total area of the church premises. Construction will be at least 17 metres away from the church building. There will be space in front of the church for day-to-day activities,” officials said. 26 trees will be cleared for Metro construction.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Airport line is not a priority, line reaching /linking tech parks is also not a priority over other trunk lines, especially since these IT areas have proved to be much more car dependent than public transport dependent.
And the impact ORR line has on vehicular traffic may be surprisingly minimal.
Carmelaram-Hudson-Hebbal line may never come up either.
Then what's the point of metro sir, let everyone use car. Metro should replace cars instead shouldn't replace buses.
Private cars or cabs are mostly used for tech parks, airport and malls only.

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
I don't get the "empty buses" trope being repeated again and again, when I have been traversing Marathalli-SB for 4 years now, and at peak times, it is difficult to even get inside AC buses (or non-ac), forget about seats.
Infact, most employees in my office, and so are my friends would be more than happy to shift to Metro - a lot of them use motorbikes (unsafe) or cars (because AC because the entire stretch is very dusty). The biggest complaint is not "I want my car because I bought it" but "I want AC and traffic jam immune mode of transport that saves time even if I have to stand throughout the journey". And most of them (including me) would pay for than BMTC fares to avail Metro happily.
You, employees in your office & your friends may have the complaint "I want AC and traffic jam immune mode of transport that saves time even if I have to stand throughout the journey" & be happy to use metro when it comes up but it is not a generalization for all groups of commuters, as is evident by the huge split in private motor vehicles, especially single occupant cars on ORR.
Lets wait & see how much of the road traffic disappears when metro becomes operational. I'd be happy if it does come down but I have a feeling traffic jams at Silkboard /ORR will continue.

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
Then what's the point of metro sir, let everyone use car. Metro should replace cars instead shouldn't replace buses.
Private cars or cabs are mostly used for tech parks, airport and malls only.
Metro is primarily for those that will use it in preference to private vehicles most times, like ak_pradhan & his fellow employees & friends, & to take care of future commuter capacity enhancement requirements. It may not free up much street space as freed up street space always gets filled up quickly due to the convenience of point to point commute offered by private transport.

Either ways, capacity will increase with metro & balance out - when traffic gridlocks on roads increase, some will shift to metro. If metro gets heavily over-crowded & road travel seems preferable despite some delays, some metro users will shift to roads & so on. However, unlike metro that may run empty at times, roads will always remain full up & metro is never going to pick up all the slack - only overflows from roads will use metro, generally.

A sizable proportion of those going to airport use taxis as they may have luggage & commutes can be faster. Daily travelers like airport workers may prefer metro, if they can afford its high fares, else they may use suburban rail or buses. Likewise, those using private cars & taxis to get to tech parks, malls etc are less likely to use metro. Airport trains to the largest airports across the world have poor ridership for this reason.
And metro will most certainly take away some percentage of bus commuters & buses will start playing a secondary role, like in all other cities.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Reach 2A and 2B

Regarding the Delays on Approvals from GoI, I had filed an RTI on 15-Feb-2020 with the following points.

"This query is regarding BMRCL DPR submitted for Phase 2A and 2B for Silk board to KR Puram and KR Puram to Kempegowda Airport respectively. Sir as I understand the DPR were submitted to Central Govt and there were clarifications sought from BMRCL. Also understand further that these have been addressed and awaiting your approval. In this regard can you please provide information on the following

1) Date of submission of DPR from BMRCL to your Ministry for approval.
2) Date of return to BMRCL for clarrification / rework
3) Date of submission from BMRCL to your ministry in response to the queries raised in point 2.
4) Current status and the reason for delay.
5) Expected time of approval of final DPR."

So today being the 30th day, finally got a response from them and from the response itseems the file is being moving back and forth between UDD GoK and UDD GoI.

those of you interested to use the RTI it is pretty simple and neat

1) Register yourself on the portal https://rtionline.gov.in/login.php
2) Select Ministry / Department as "Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs"
3) Select Public authority as "Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs" since no specific PA for other metros unlike DMRC
4) Fill in "Text for RTI Request application" in free format text ( suggest you have the text typed and ready to avoid time out issues.
5) Submit and pay ( Nominal Charges of Rs 10 ) .
6) Wait for the response ( informed both on SMS and Mail ).

·
Registered
771 Posts
You, employees in your office & your friends may have the complaint "I want AC and traffic jam immune mode of transport that saves time even if I have to stand throughout the journey" & be happy to use metro when it comes up but it is not a generalization for all groups of commuters, as is evident by the huge split in private motor vehicles, especially single occupant cars on ORR.
Lets wait & see how much of the road traffic disappears when metro becomes operational. I'd be happy if it does come down but I have a feeling traffic jams at Silkboard /ORR will continue.
You're putting down a 'generalisation' seen first hand with your own generalisation. Makes no sense.

Sure, a lot of the people living and working in that area might be private commuters that think they're too good for public transport. But there are a lot of people that already do use public transport, or want to but face inconveniences. It's an absolutely enormous area with an enormous number of people living and working there, and most of them are regular people. You're generalising the many with the bourgeois-minded few. I too have travelled in buses over there that are crush loaded, and faaar from empty.

Traffic jams haven't decreased by much in any place that has metro. With the rate that the city is growing, space on the streets just keeps drawing more vehicles. The size of the metro network at this stage is like reducing water that's pouring into an already over flowing bucket.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Unfortunately I have seen quite a few posts here (and even more so in the "Blore Discussions" thread) where a *divide* in society has been supported by some, a divide between *outsiders* and *insiders*. One can call it chauvinistic thinking, quite the hallmark of a Tier 2 town, not a Tier 1 town. Every comparable city has some amount of chauvinistic thinking by some section of society, and I guess Blore also has it (probably to a slightly lesser extent, to Blore's credit).

The thinking goes like this:
- Insiders deserve to get all the benefit bcoz they were the early settlers.
- Outsiders are 2nd class citizens, how dare they ask for any benefit like broad roads, footpaths, water supply, metro, parks, etc! (despite the fact that outsiders *combined* pay more property taxes bcoz they're mostly ghetto'ed in the *emerging* areas which have multi-storeyed apts and hence higher population per sq km, and despite the fact that commercial spaces in the *outsiders'* emerging areas are what are mostly responsible for contributing substantially to the economic activity of the city and country)
- If an outsider points out some scope for improvement, he is faced with the query: "Then who told you to come here? Go back to where you came from."

I guess thats what distinguishes Blore from a truly cosmopolitan city. But as I said, no hard feelings, it is still a better place to live than many other comparable cities in respect of this "extent of chauvinism".

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
You're putting down a 'generalisation' seen first hand with your own generalisation. Makes no sense.

Sure, a lot of the people living and working in that area might be private commuters that think they're too good for public transport. But there are a lot of people that already do use public transport, or want to but face inconveniences. It's an absolutely enormous area with an enormous number of people living and working there, and most of them are regular people. You're generalising the many with the bourgeois-minded few. I too have travelled in buses over there that are crush loaded, and faaar from empty.

Traffic jams haven't decreased by much in any place that has metro. With the rate that the city is growing, space on the streets just keeps drawing more vehicles. The size of the metro network at this stage is like reducing water that's pouring into an already over flowing bucket.
My generalization is based on visible evidence as also the fact that people used to cars are generally very reluctant to get on to public transport, worldwide - Indian cities are no exception. In fact Bangalore may be one of the sole exceptions where some (not all) may be using private vehicles because they are forced to do so because of lack of proper public transport. This lot will of course get on to the metro & discard private vehicles for daily commutes (like ak_pradhan & party), but every group isn't like ak_pradhan's.

Do you deny that the percentage of private vehicles is higher on ORR than other city areas? If you deny this fact, then I am not prepared to argue further because I'm sure no one can deny this about ORR (compared to other areas).

True that there could be a lot of commuters to & from ORR offices but the numbers to & from Majestic /City market will certainly be far higher - but the number of private vehicles is far lower. That is my observation & hence my opinions.

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
Unfortunately I have seen quite a few posts here (and even more so in the "Blore Discussions" thread) where a *divide* in society has been supported by some, a divide between *outsiders* and *insiders*. One can call it chauvinistic thinking, quite the hallmark of a Tier 2 town, not a Tier 1 town. Every comparable city has some amount of chauvinistic thinking by some section of society, and I guess Blore also has it (probably to a slightly lesser extent, to Blore's credit).

The thinking goes like this:
- Insiders deserve to get all the benefit bcoz they were the early settlers.
- Outsiders are 2nd class citizens, how dare they ask for any benefit like broad roads, footpaths, water supply, metro, parks, etc! (despite the fact that outsiders *combined* pay more property taxes bcoz they're mostly ghetto'ed in the *emerging* areas which have multi-storeyed apts and hence higher population per sq km, and despite the fact that commercial spaces in the *outsiders'* emerging areas are what are mostly responsible for contributing substantially to the economic activity of the city and country)
- If an outsider points out some scope for improvement, he is faced with the query: "Then who told you to come here? Go back to where you came from."

I guess thats what distinguishes Blore from a truly cosmopolitan city. But as I said, no hard feelings, it is still a better place to live than many other comparable cities in respect of this "extent of chauvinism".
I think its both ways - chauvinism from outsiders is with absurd arguments like "ORR metro is top priority for city", "airport metro most important", also like what you stated above - "outsiders *combined* pay more property taxes", "commercial spaces in the *outsiders'* emerging areas are what are mostly responsible for contributing substantially to the economic activity of the city and country)" etc etc.. So the so-called chauvinism is from both sides, in a city that had almost no such chauvinism in the past.... before outsiders flooded the city.

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
If I get more responses, I plan to publish it in the newspaper - Bangalore Mirror.
Agree, priority lines for phase-3 IMO are:

1) Inner core underground ring line;
2) Sarjapura-Hebbal line (via Madiwala checkpost, Shantinagar bus depot, Hudson circle, Cauvery bhavan); &
3) completing remaining portion of ORR line on the west.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Regarding reduction of vehicles in ORR after metro, that depends on how last mile connectivity is tackled.

Most of those using private transport will happily shift to public transport if alternative is good. 75% don't like driving but are forced to due to lack of options.

Currently, bus service is good on ORR and arterial roads such as Sarjapur, Marathahalli, etc. Beyond that, there is no bus service to residential areas in Bellandur which are up to 5 km from main roads. The autos demand a lot and footpaths are almost non existent. The roads are very dusty.This makes private transport and shared transport like Quickride, etc the best option.

For example, for someone living in Kasavanahalli 2-3 km away from Sarjapur main road and working in tech park in ORR, he has to catch auto to main road paying insanely high price, take a bus to Iblur, cross the wide ORR which doesn't have skywalk and catch another bus to ORR. The BMTC prices are high for short distances. Adding all costs and convenience, private transport turns out to be better option. Among many solutions, direct frequent busus from Sarjapur to Marathahlli and beyond is required.

Similar for residential areas sandwiched between Hosur road and Bannerghatta road.

Once metro starts, long distance travelers like BTM Layout to Whitefield, ITPL will shift to metro. Those traveling 5-7 km will face this last mile connectivity challenge and still find private transport to be better alternative.

In such areas, even if BMTC wants to start services, most of the roads are not wide enough. They can penetrate to some extent only. Even now it can be done. Some roads in south and west Bengaluru are hardly 2 lane. But frequent bus services do exist. But in areas within Mahadevapura constituency, vested interest has halted BMTC services. Forget narrow roads, HSR Layout having wide roads doesn't have good bus connectivity. Between Kadirenahalli Cross and Vega City mall as well, ORR doesn't have bus connectivity.

42881 - 42900 of 46568 Posts