SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 750 Posts

·
Registered
40,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Benguela

Benguela (São Felipe de Benguela, formerly spelled Benguella) is a city in western Angola, south of Luanda, and capital of Benguela Province. It lies on a bay of the same name.

Benguela was founded in 1617 by the Portuguese under Manoel Cerveira Pereira.

A short way beyond Benguela is Baía Farta, where salt is manufactured and sulphur excavated. Close to Baia Farta is the most beautiful beach of Baia Azul. Benguela is Angola's second most famous city and self-appointed cultural capital.

The Benguela Railway was built in the early 20th century to connect the city and Lobito to the interior, and it achieved great success when linked to the Copperbelt of Katanga, DR Congo and Zambia. Due to the civil war in Angola, which lasted more than 25 years, up to 2002, this railway is not operating any more. Only the short distance of 30 km between Benguela and Lobito remained operational. In the last two years, rehabilitation of the railway between Benguela and Huambo commenced.

In 1983 Benguela had a population of 155,000. During the civil war the city of Benguela increased its population due to refugees from the countryside. While the pre-war part of the city consists of good quality houses, most of the refugees are living today in slum areas.

City Flag

·
Registered
40,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
newly built sport structure:cheers:

some amazing sea food in Benguela

somewhere in Benguela

nice veranda, house in Benguela

Motorrace in Benguela :cheers:

..some of the initiators

proper street signage

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Nicely done, Matt! Finally a respective gallery for Benguela has arrived.
Matt, you're going to handle Lobito also ? I'll handle Huambo when I have the extra time also.

Honestly, I believe that Nigeria & Angola deserves their own section.

Edit: I already handled Lobito, Matt. It's under control.

1 - 20 of 750 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.