SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Student Architect جاري&#15
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

In pursuit of a lasting solution to the flood and erosion problem in Benin City, the Oshiomhole administration have commenced implementation of the Benin City Storm Water Masterplan. Construction is ongoing for the Uwelu West/Uwelu East Catchment Area for which the contractors had been mobilized to the tune of N6.0 billion.

The scope of work includes the following:

• Construction of an open concrete canal of about 45 feet wide and 15 feet deep that covers a distance of 7.5 kilometers
  • Construction of a network of covered concrete tributary of smaller canals. covering over 7.8 kilometers
  • The reclamation and reconstruction of nine intra-city roads, with side-drains, walkways. street lights and lawns.
  • Among these roads projects embedded in the contract is the dualization of the Upper Siluko Road, from the Textile Mill Junction through the Teachers. House.
In continuation of the Stormwater Plan Implementation. the govemment has also awarded the contract for the de-flooding of the Okhoro-Upper Lawani Axis. The de-flooding of the Uselu-Ugbowo Axis will be executed through the construction of under-ground conduit at the Traditional Grounds and the Tomline Area, which will discharge water into the Eghosa Grammer School under-ground receptacle. The contract for this has been awarded.

Also awarded is the contract for the construction of an under-ground conduit along the Airport Road. This is going to take care ofthe fiooding on adjoining streets.

As was explained in the Mid-term Report last year, there's still serious challenges with respect to the massive erosion in the Queen Ede area in Benin City, Auchi and Ekpoma. The administration is firming up discussions towards raising additional funding with the World Bank under the Nigerian Erosion and Watershed Management Project, which has been approved by Mr. President.
http://oshiomholefor2012.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102&Itemid=495

·
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are constructing something similar to this that will be the main collector of rainwater and will transport the water to a local river.

I just Hope when completed it looks as beautiful as this.

·
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Project masterplan [click to enlarge]

·
Reloaded
921 Posts
I think it I still prefer the underground tunnel type drainage system. This open drainage pose a lot of challenge in terms of maintenance and they easily get silted and filled with indiscriminate waste disposal. Well done Oshiomole!

·
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Images of side Canals of the reconstructed moats

·
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it I still prefer the underground tunnel type drainage system. This open drainage pose a lot of challenge in terms of maintenance and they easily get silted and filled with indiscriminate waste disposal. Well done Oshiomole!
The smaller tributary street lines will be covered, but the main lines that carry large volumes of water will not be.

BTW, apart from Abuja, I think this is the only complete city Wide drainage project that is going on in Nigeria? Correct me if i'm wrong.

AKA real infrastructure not just roads!!

·
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
986 Posts
The smaller tributary street lines will be covered, but the main lines that carry large volumes of water will not be.

BTW, apart from Abuja, I think this is the only complete city Wide drainage project that is going on in Nigeria? Correct me if i'm wrong.

AKA real infrastructure not just roads!!
Doesn't Uyo have something similar?

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1781311

·
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
True, i forgot about that

1 - 13 of 13 Posts