SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've been browsing the forums from time to time, and thought it was time to register. I live in the city of Bergen in Norway.

It's located on the west coast surrounded by mountains, and is the next-largest city in Norway (after the capital Oslo) with a population of around 250.000 people.

Bergen was founded in 1070, and was in it's early age the capital of the country and the largest city in the Nordic region up until the 1600s. Being so close to the sea, fishing have been one of the main industries here.

Being from Bergen, the idea of this thread is to show you pictures I've taken of both 'touristy' places and architecture, as well as areas and buildings not featured on post cards.

Panorama of Bergen from Mt. Fløyen during winter.

Looking south from Mt. Fløyen.

A part of our most famous landmark, Bryggen (The Wharf) which is on the UNESCO World Heritage-list. The two towers of St Mary's Church (built in 1180) can be seen in the background.

Looking north-west from Skansen.

One of many narrow and steep streets halfway up the mountain-hills.

The TV tower on top of Mt. Ulriken - the tallest of the mountains surrounding Bergen city (643 metres). There is a restaurant at the top served by an aerial tramway.

This building is called Permanenten, and functions as an art museum.

The main meeting spot in the city centre, with the logo of the city's largest newspaper featured under the hand made neon clock.

The building called Kjøttbasaren can be seen at the end of the road.

The yacht A in the harbour during it's visit to Bergen. The 98m long three-masted barque rigged sail vessel Statsraad Lehmkuhl can also be seen.

Mostly commercial buildings alongside the main square called Torgalmenningen. The square was originally constructed to prevent fires to spread fast to the entire city due to the high amount of wooden buildings back in the days.

Two local submarines at the harbour.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm looking forward to my next visit to Bergen next spring!
Try to make sure you are in town on the 17th of May, the Norwegian Constitution Day.

Some more photos:

A restaurant/club.

The annual midsummer celebration (June 23) with bonfires.

Sandviken fire station.

A former power station.

Traditional old wooden architecture found different places in Bergen.

Tower blocks a couple of minutes outside the city centre (with coastal view).

The view from Nordnes in the winter.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Bergen looks like a very lovely place. Please continue posting more photos in the future. It's nice seeing different scenes from the city. :)

·
Gotta lite?
6,045 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Some excellent photos here on Bergen. This is such a beautiful town and I certainly plan to visit one day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts