SkyscraperCity banner

81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Sounds much better to have it open to the public than just having a few lucky evacuate trough it... Imagine they opened the channel tunnel to the public, i would like to go trough it:

·
on the road
31,954 Posts
I've found something very strange. Skyss, the light rail operator, does not have any geographically accurate map of the network. Not even of light rail.

It only has schematics of light rail and buses that, in the latter case, don't even show all stops.

Light rail stations have no maps.

Google Maps does not recognize Skyss services.

Why is that? Does it exist such map (common thing in many medium-size cities, a simple map with all public transportation services superimposed)?

·
on the road
31,954 Posts
40 minutes, so it is twice as fast with the bus i guess.
I wonder, though, if the light rail (which is cheaper and not subject to traffic congestion) service to the airport will divert enough passengers, despite lasting longer, to make the frequent airport express buses anti-economical, so they have to reduce their frequencies.

·
Registered
14,831 Posts
You can hope, but it is wort nothing that Flesland airport have grown and is expected to grow further in traffic so the increased traffic volumes could results in equal demand even if the buses loses market share. Buses are also more flexible and could serve other routes than bybanen. I don't know what plans the local bus companies have, but buses have survived alongside the train service here in Oslo at least.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I wonder, though, if the light rail (which is cheaper and not subject to traffic congestion) service to the airport will divert enough passengers, despite lasting longer, to make the frequent airport express buses anti-economical, so they have to reduce their frequencies.
I don't think so. I travel to Bergen often during the summer and the airport bus is usually packed. The bus, unlike the light rail, goes to Bryggen where there are many tourist hotels.

I'll give the bybanen a try from Flesland when I have a chance, but I think I'll mostly take the bust to save time.

·
Registered
14,831 Posts
Video of the proposed Bybane stretch to Fyllingsdalen.

It is so nice seeing how much are getting investing into trams/light rail in Bergen. I wished Trondheim and Stavanger was bitten by the same bug. :)

·
on the road
31,954 Posts
I will try to make some periodical pic reports once construction eventually starts, though I am disappointed it will not be a line in the direction of my workplace as I was hoping for (it still seems much more people live in the direction of Asane).

·
Registered
14,831 Posts
^^ The plan was originally to build the Åsane line first, but this had to be postponed due to controversy surrounding the chosen route across Bryggen in Bergen downtown. Åsane will now become the next project in line after Fyllingsdalen.

·
Registered
14,831 Posts
The municipality of Bergen conducted a study earlier this year into how to better connect the western part of Bergens urban area with public transportation. One of the things they naturally looked into was extensions of the Bybane system. The study concluded that it was feasible with a new Bybane line on two alternative routes.

The alternatives are:
  • An extension of the soon to be built Fyllingsdalen line to Loddefjord. It is marked with purple on the map below.
  • A new line from Bergen downtown through Lyngbø before it goes to Loddefjord and then further to Storavatnet. It would necessitate a new bridge across Damsgårdssundet which it would cross on the way into Bergen downtown. It's marked in blue on the map below.
It recommended that an impact assessment should be undertaken on these two alternatives.

https://www.bergen.kommune.no/bk/multimedia/archive/00294/Fagnotat_silingsrap_294527a.pdf

·
on the road
31,954 Posts
I see many tourists with suitcases using the light rail. I guess it is attractive even if it takes 18 to 20min more than using the airport express bus.

81 - 100 of 131 Posts