Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

California Golden Bears

College
3x Champion:
1920, 1921, 1922

·
Banned
562 Posts
The only stadium in the world that sits atop the San Andreas fault!!

Stadium refurbishment is at the core of a big dispute between the University and the City of Beserkley.

(Other trivia footnote: in SF2012 plan, one end of this stadium was to have housed the Beach Volleyball venue. Interesting concept.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
We never had THAT many earthquakes. The atmosphere is second to none on Tightwad Hill. And oh, BTW, the marching band needs to dress their diagonals better than that!

·
Registered
595 Posts
The only stadium in the world that sits atop the San Andreas fault!!
It sits on top of the Hayward fault, the San Andreas actually runs closer to Stanford.

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
I say the California Memorial Stadium needs a drastic renovation. I thought about building a completely new stadium on the site like they did with Stanford Stadium. Since the Hayward Fault passes directly under the stadium (I think that this is the only stadium in the world to be built right on top of a fault line) seismic retrofitting is necessary to make the structure totally safe in a [major] earthquake.

·
Registered
828 Posts
that would kill a lot of the atmosphere

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I say the California Memorial Stadium needs a drastic renovation. I thought about building a completely new stadium on the site like they did with Stanford Stadium. Since the Hayward Fault passes directly under the stadium (I think that this is the only stadium in the world to be built right on top of a fault line) seismic retrofitting is necessary to make the structure totally safe in a [major] earthquake.
http://www.calbears.com/buildingchampions/

·
MillerTime
229 Posts
This is a great stadium; you have to love the classic bowl design. It's hard to beat the great location nestled into the hills, but this stadium does need some hardcore updating. After looking at their website, that kingmanIII shared, it looks like they have some good plans for the future of this stadium. Hopefully the plans keep the main bowl intact as it is the best part of this stadium. I also saw the page about Cal's endowment numbers. Is it just me or does Cal's endowment numbers seem low for a school like Cal? Does anyone know how Cal compares to other major Universities in this regard?

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
The long promised retrofit and upgrade is occurring as we speak. The Bears will be playing their 2011 season at AT&T Park in San Francisco, and returning home in 2012.

·
Captian Clutch
372 Posts
The long promised retrofit and upgrade is occurring as we speak. The Bears will be playing their 2011 season at AT&T Park in San Francisco, and returning home in 2012.
If the Giants go far into the postseason again, this could get interesting. ^^

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
If the Giants go far into the postseason again, this could get interesting. ^^
The Bears have the following home games scheduled:
Saturday September 3 at Candlestick
Saturday September 17 at AT&T Park
Thursday October 13 at AT&T Park
Saturday October 22 at AT&T Park
Saturday November 5 at AT&T Park
Saturday November 12 at AT&T Park

That Thursday game leads me to believe that some planning went into this, but I don't see how they could have possibly worked out the possibilities of MLB's post season this far in advance.

Or that Thursday could simply be ESPN flexing it's muscles.

·
Captian Clutch
372 Posts
The Bears have the following home games scheduled:
Saturday September 3 at Candlestick
Saturday September 17 at AT&T Park
Thursday October 13 at AT&T Park
Saturday October 22 at AT&T Park
Saturday November 5 at AT&T Park
Saturday November 12 at AT&T Park

That Thursday game leads me to believe that some planning went into this, but I don't see how they could have possibly worked out the possibilities of MLB's post season this far in advance.

Or that Thursday could simply be ESPN flexing it's muscles.
MLB's playoff schedule is more or less set, with only the teams needing to be filled in. Obviously, rain outs can be an issue. I could see that game on the 22nd causing some headaches though. Either way, that field is going to be a wreck with 4 football games in sept/oct.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts