SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Berlengas Islands - Portugal

8352 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Arpels
The archipelago consists of a large island, Berlenga Grande, and some small granite islands and rocks (Estelas and Farilhões), which are situated some 7 miles (+/- 10 km) off the headland of Cabo Carvoeiro to the north-west of Peniche.

It is a marine reserve and has been classified by the Council of Europe as a "Biosphere Reserve".

The island of Berlenga Grande can be seen from the mainland when there is no sea mist. Here you will find endemic species of flora, as well as one of the preferred nesting sites for sea birds.

Built on a rock adjacent to the Berlenga island and connected to it by a small bridge, there stands the Forte de São João Baptista, a Manueline military fortress built in 1502.The island’s tiny beaches with their clear blue sea are very beautiful and ideal for swimming and diving.

Access to the island is by boat, with departures from Peniche harbour. It takes roughly 30 minutes to reach Berlenga Grande. You can return in the evening or spend the night at the fortress, camping is possible too in the area reserved to camping. There is also a restaurant on the island.

map of mainland Berlenga grande:

a local native:

scuba:

scuba in blue cave :drool:

See less See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Berlengas, I love does islands, wonder if do they have trips to go there ? Since I saw the portuguese swimmers crossing the sea from the berlengas to the coast I want it to go there. :D
Oh, the pictures are so nice. I had never hear about them. I liked a lot to know that there is a fortress there. Natural beauties and history together. It is perfect!:)
Berlengas, I love does islands, wonder if do they have trips to go there ? Since I saw the portuguese swimmers crossing the sea from the berlengas to the coast I want it to go there. :D
some guys made that but is a big distance (10 km) :yes: they have trips to there in summer and only 300 people could go there by day from June to August wen the water and time are good in the channel, a boat make the trip 2 times by day from Peniche to Berlenga grande.

First time ever crossing to Berlengas islands using a Powered Para-Glider (PPG) by Reciprocum (Portuguese forumer of SSC), the video (the 22):

http://vimeo.com/1751487

the pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/reciprocum/tags/berlengas/

Oh, the pictures are so nice. I had never hear about them. I liked a lot to know that there is a fortress there. Natural beauties and history together. It is perfect!:)
these islands are not very divulged to prevent the tourism of masses in an area that is marine reserve :yes:
See less See more
Many thanks for your information, yes the guys are the same that months later crossed the channel between England and France and also they have crossed from Madeira to Desertas.
^^ endeed, and is a much big distance in both cases...
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.