SkyscraperCity banner

3101 - 3120 of 3260 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Sandstone I believe. Also, how much of the surroundings is being built? I noticed on some renders that balustrades and some green planing along the bottom of the windows was present. As well as the fountains. Is any of this happening?
Unfortunately those are mostly older visualizations. Current planning does not include any reconstruction of the surrounding area. No balustrades, no statues, no fountain. That does not mean that they will never come back though. There are a lot of people that want the statues and fountain to return.
There is however some good news:
The surrounding area might not be fully reconstructed, but it will take inspiration by its prewar look. Lamps and pavement for example will be historic in look. What lamps and pavement they already finished looks really traditional and elegant.

by Mantikor of Stadtbild Deutschland Forum

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hello everyone!

The re-unification memorial battle is in full swing! Here the contesters!
Unification memorial for the re-unification of 1990:

Unification memorial for the re-unification of 1871:

Bonus picture, This is current;

source: ddparchitekten.info

The battle as we all remember is about building the re-unification memorial of 1990 at a different location, fitting to the historical places.

Now, we are seeing the next rounds: The environmental department doesn't approve the 90`s memorial. The bat resettlement is not going well.
The planning committee is out of time and needs re-approval.
The Province of Berlin is tired. The need to resend the planning.
The federal level is not approving more money and so on...

The different levels of government are battling a battle in slow motion.

And while the government is all worked up, the architects are in trouble:
They may have stolen the idea from someone else. This is important, because this architect in particular is a not very nice fellow. He is known firing lawsuits at everyone and everything himself. His female partner already quite the job years ago. When someone at the APH forum used his design and produced a picture of it at a more suiting location. This gentlemen's lawyer shot down the APH forum for weeks! The new development does him justice, in my opinion.

·
Registered
421 Posts
So does this mean the modern memorial is unlikely to happen? And the original is more likely to be rebuilt?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
For those of you that are new to this an explanation:

The question is to whether build one or two memorials.
80% of the population, including the federal branch, favors building
two memorials. The partial re-build of the re-unification memorial of 1871.
Survived WW2 undamaged but torn down for political correctness reasons by communists in later years. This is the original location.
The second re-unification memorial of 1990 is preferred at more suitable places.

Now, you are going to ask: What is the problem?
Well, a small group of social democrats decided in a very early stage to put the new memorial on the same spot as the old memorial used to be. It was openly communicated to prevent the re-build of the 1871 memorial! The idea was to prevent the communist losing the face about the decision of demolishing.

Today, most politicians support the two memorial idea. This was communicated openly, too. The public was asked multiple times in newspapers and websites and support the two memorial idea, too. But the one memorial idea was approved to move forward. The alternative idea of making a 1990`s memorial designed to look like the 1871 memorial did not succeeded. So, we have a "behind the doors" battle going on for years. The memorial was supposed to finish by October 2019! The memorial has not started jet and we don't know when it will be build. The federal government doesn't want the communists to have the last say on this. The Province/State of Berlin is undecided, but forces inside favor the communist approach.
The battle story reads in part like a legal Thriller movie from Hollywood.
Like the one time when Berlin wanted to start building, but the federal Gov. pointed out the memorial sits on federal land! When Berlin and Germany finally had swapped lands, the time for the project had run out! lol

What are the chances? The chances are 50/50. The lawyers are trying to figure out, if the one memorial project moves ahead like decided and voted in favor many years ago before the public noticed the project or if the two memorial decision moves forward as decided upon vote in favor already two times since. The one memorial was in favor first, but the original Politicians pushing the one memorial project are retired now. But this one memorial idea lacks money. The federal level likes to pay more, but only if the federal voting rights are increased! So, Berlin Province does not want to take more money, for giving away voting rights, but lacks money! You could not make this one up!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I take a quick look at the webcam frequently to check on progress and just today I noticed something that I don't know if it's new or has been there all along. I've been focusing lately primarily on the dome to see the (slow) progress of the copper. Maybe this has been there all along and I just never noticed till now, but there is an ugly concrete building on the roof. It's not the cafe by the dome. It's further down the building toward the middle. Does anyone have info on this? I hope to god it's not visible from the ground because it's ugly as hell. Hopefully it is not close enough to the edge to be seen from the ground even from a far distance.

·
Registered
12,409 Posts
Just wondering why the river facade is modern when they went to so much trouble recreating the original structure ? Sorry this has probably been asked before but I live on the far side of the world and haven't visited this site for a long time...my actual visit to Berlin was back in 2000 when the modernist pink glass office government building stood on this site.

·
Got Fachwerk?
1,011 Posts
Just wondering why the river facade is modern when they went to so much trouble recreating the original structure ? Sorry this has probably been asked before but I live on the far side of the world and haven't visited this site for a long time...my actual visit to Berlin was back in 2000 when the modernist pink glass office government building stood on this site.
Multiple options were considered about the river facade. Originally, it wasn't baroque like the other ones but instead quite a mess of different syles, shapes and eras. In the end it was decided to build a modern facade instead.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Multiple options were considered about the river facade. Originally, it wasn't baroque like the other ones but instead quite a mess of different syles, shapes and eras. In the end it was decided to build a modern facade instead.
No matter what had been put there, it wouldn't have been original to the look of the building.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Was a new opening/completion date established or announced?? I believe they originally said it would be completed in Sept 2019 I think? From what can be seen exteriorly from the webcam, the progress moves VERY slowly in recent months. Perhaps more of the work is being done inside? What causes this work to be done at such a slow pace?

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
From what can be seen exteriorly from the webcam, the progress moves VERY slowly in recent months. Perhaps more of the work is being done inside? What causes this work to be done at such a slow pace?
I swear I've explained this at least a dozen times in detail here. ;) So lemme not again go into full detail, but simply state:

Skilled Worker Shortage

additionally...

Berlin

The surrounding area of the City Palace lies in Berlin's authority. And Berlin, as we all know by now, is compared to other German cities a developing country. It's simply inapt to finish projects without huge delay times and huge cost explosions.
Recently I read somewhere that the entire surrounding area of the City Palace will only be finished in 2022. Just paving everything, adding some greenery and street furniture. And that's calculated excluding the very typical Berlin delay.

·
H.R.H
548 Posts
Was a new opening/completion date established or announced?? I believe they originally said it would be completed in Sept 2019 I think? From what can be seen exteriorly from the webcam, the progress moves VERY slowly in recent months. Perhaps more of the work is being done inside? What causes this work to be done at such a slow pace?
Opening has been delayed to September 2020. It will go opening in stages.

Works are being done on the cladding of the dome, progress is visible.

·
Registered
15 Posts

I swear I've explained this at least a dozen times in detail here. ;) So lemme not again go into full detail, but simply state:

Skilled Worker Shortage

additionally...

Berlin

The surrounding area of the City Palace lies in Berlin's authority. And Berlin, as we all know by now, is compared to other German cities a developing country. It's simply inapt to finish projects without huge delay times and huge cost explosions.
Recently I read somewhere that the entire surrounding area of the City Palace will only be finished in 2022. Just paving everything, adding some greenery and street furniture. And that's calculated excluding the very typical Berlin delay.
Looking at the webcam daily I do see progress, slow but coming. Trees have been planted on the North East corner, also stone paving done on North side bit by bit. This past week what looks like a stone block fencing installed on North side. The subway station entrance on North West side is also coming along nicely. It is slow but coming. Inside lots of finishing work going on. The Dome is almost done with only a few more panels of copper to be installed before the lantern can be put into place.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Just a curious thought/question...

How will they be able to prevent graffiti from being sprayed on the Stadtschloss? You know the taggers are waiting for those facades to have public access so they can gleefully mar those pale yellow surfaces with their drivel.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Snipers on the roof

3101 - 3120 of 3260 Posts