SkyscraperCity banner

3201 - 3206 of 3206 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Why exactly should that happen? What would be the point?

On another note, I think things like these detract from the movement to reconstruct what was lost. It all gets intertwined with the conservative side of the politics, rendering it unattractive to a lot of people that lean left, which is sad 'cause all that matters is art and architecture, not politics.
I think it was just a joke, but you are absolutely right, maybe it isnt even right to joke about these things because we do not want to have this be considered a 'conservative' and therefore politicised reconstruction project. Beautiful art and architecture is for everyone, no matter their political persuasion.
"All that matters is art and architecture", I absolutely agree! The building is looking fantastic.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The Left politicizes everything anyway and in Germany they have been consistent in their opposition to reconstructions. They opposed the Berliner Stadtschloss reconstruction, the Garnisonkirche reconstruction in Potsdam and reconstruction of the Kaiser Wilhelm memorial, Try as we might to avoid this being a Left Right issue there is no escaping it. After the politics of the ages are long forgotten these monuments will still be standing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Looking in on the webcam today it appears further scaffolding is coming down (can't wait to get that first glimpse of the full facade) but more importantly the lantern's cupola and balustrade can now be seen standing by at ground level awaiting their final ascent!

This is just the kind of positive development we need to help beat those lockdown blues! :)

3201 - 3206 of 3206 Posts